Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

Which flaw or weakness sticks out most to you?  

18 users have voted

1. 1. Which flaw or weakness sticks out most to you?

• Spike's ineptitude after being rescued
    • Applejack's characterization
    • The "Dragon Code"
    • Timberwolves animated in CGI
    • Twilight's absense for most of the episode
    • The anticlimax
    • Conflict lasting too long
    • Other (explain below)

(edited)

Note: For the collection of other "Pick a Flaw" episode threads, head over to the "Pick a Flaw" blog portal (which'll be updated periodically) or check the list at the bottom of the OP (hidden under the "spoiler" tag).

Credit goes to PoisonClaw for coming up with many of the suggestions for the poll.

Season three doesn't have the popularity compared to the others, and SaYS is the shortened year's biggest punching bag. Because of Spike's gross out of characterization, a contrived cliché that went nowhere other than further south than Applejack's accent, the "Dragon Code" becoming pivotal to the plot, and a rushed anticlimax, it's one of the most hated and worst episodes.

Because this episode is "Pick a Flaw," pick one flaw from Spike at Your Service that either bothers you most or breaks the episode apart worst and explain why. If it's none or all of these options, click "other" and explain below.

Although I don't hate it (I have a rich dislike for it, though), Spike at Your Service is easily one of season three's worst for most if not all of the reasons listed in the poll. But the one to stick out the most is Spike's sudden incompetence and idiocy. Without a shadow of a doubt, it's Spike's worst characterization in the entire show, as many vital parts of his identity (ability to cook/clean, be a good helper, and not be stupid!) are thrown out the door. Even as a child, Spike's characterization needed to be paid close attention to, and this didn't happen at all here.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

For me, this episode was garbage. All of it - I'd have an easier time picking out what I hated about it rather than what I liked about it, and that's saying something, considering I'm a pretty soft and lenient reviewer.

I'm just going to go with the giant eyesore that was the Timberwolves being put in CGI. It fits the episode perfectly - but that's not really a compliment. They're goofy, out of place, and hard to look at.

Hence, they fit SaYS perfectly :D

• Brohoof 1

Spike being a gigantic dumbass for pretty much the entire episode.

Oh, and the other girls believing he was enough of a dumbass to fall for the fake timberwolf/Applejack's acting.

• Brohoof 2

I have 2 problems with Spike At Your Service. First off, this plot is too cliched even for this show. I know this show does cliched plots all the time but they at least add a creative spin to them. This added nothing new besides cgi timber wolves. 

Now for the one I voted for, it was the was Spike acted in this episode. He was an idiot who somehow didn't know how to do Applejack's chores. He helps Twilight all the time, why does he suddenly suck when helping Applejack?

• Brohoof 2

Probably the second worst episode of the series for me, only being headed by Boast Busters.

My main problem is that the characters are all stupid.

Spike KNOWS how to clean,

Rainbow Dash should have said "nvm" to heading into the rocks

Rarity should have said "NO THX BRO" to the pie

Twilight Sparkle should pay more attention to what Spike is doing

Applejack should tell Spike "chill out bro"

Pinkie Pie wasn't funny at all in this episode. Yes, even counting the "mustache" joke.

Fluttershy.. I got nothing, for now.

My biggest problem is Spike being a complete idiot, though.

Also, the episode goes nowhere. Absolutely. Nowhere.

Besides for the CGI Timberwolves, the episode just plain sucks.

1.5/10

(edited)

Spike at Your Service - a fantastic Mane 6 episode! Great performances all around, and my favorite show for Twi that season. Applejack, of course, is the star, and does not disappoint with her badflankery, attempts to be indirect, and attempts at lying. 

tumblr_mky6q1fMyp1s7w4kzo1_500.gif

Strongly underlined.

What's that, you say? It's about Spike? And he's totally out of character and obeys this illogical dragon code to be more of a force of plot than an actual character who is an astute assistant feels immense gratitude towards Applejack, who cannot accept his help in good conscience due to her philosophy of self-reliance? You're saying it was a waste of an interaction episode?

Well shucks, I guess this one's going to go in the pile of episodes that weren't as bad as people say, but still not very good. Better luck next time?

(To those who say it's the WORST episode of the season; Games Ponies Play.)

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 3

I loved this episode.

I also liked the Dragon Code, and I believe that the Dragon Code wasn't stupid or illogical either. It makes complete sense why Spike would make up some random "Dragon Code". Kids do that all of the time - make up random stuff like that. I know I did something similar to that when I was little.

The only "Flaw" I could see was that Spike was a clumsy idiot (when it's been shown countless times that he is competent at cleaning and doing house work), but that added to the humor so it isn't a complete downside.

Oh, and the other girls believing he was enough of a dumbass to fall for the fake timberwolf/Applejack's acting.

In my opinion, I don't see the Mane 6 believing that Spike would fall for their ploy as a flaw. Exageratted acting and ridiculous disguises are common in cartoons. Remember in Spongebob when Mr. Krabs made that fake ghost to scare Spongebob into returning the Soda-Drinking Hat back to "Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen"? That scene was hilarious even though it was obvious it was a sheet on a fishing pole. The same goes for the Mane 6's humorous attempts to trick Spike in this episode.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like this episode but this is definitely one of the worst of the show.

Spike was so annoying, I don't know where he found the "Dragon Code", and the conclusion wasn't really convincing.

=> Spike's ineptitude after being rescued

Edited by Blobulle

Spike in general in this episode. He's nowhere near that incompetent, and how would he know about a dragon code anyway, when ponies seem to know little about dragons as it is. The other ponies did what they could under the circumstances. (although I question Rainbow Dash's wisdom in keeping up appearances and crashing through the pile of rocks.)

Yay! My suggestion was picked! Anyway, if I didn't make it clear already, I really don't like this episode for the main reason that it pretty much destroyed Spike's character. He's shown before that he can be very capable, but here any experience he had prior was thrown out the window, turning him into a clumsy idiot who can't walk a straight line without breaking something. This episode can easily be used as a guide on how not to write Spike.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

(To those who say it's the WORST episode of the season; Games Ponies Play.)

And even that episode was pretty decent :catface:(imo)

Anyway this episode is better than people give it credit for, the only real problem was Spike's clumsiness, but the episode had a lot of good things that I can look past it

Edited by Naked Snake
  • Brohoof 1