Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I've only had sleep paralysis once, and that was a few months back. It was a demon dream, my first one. I remember I was laying on a cold stone slab in an area similiar to the end of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." It was really dark, and I couldn't move. There were whispers everywhere and I was freaking out. I saw a shadow stepped out, and I can't remember anything after that.

I had sleep paralysis once when I was too curious about what lucid dreaming was like and failed miserably in my attempt to fall into one. It was a nightmare. It's like my brain brought out every fear I have and thrown it over my paralysed body (I have for example an anarchophobia... at least when it comes to big spiders... yeah, very manly haha) and I was all covered in them and unable to move... never again. My amount of nope was never as high as it was back then. 

Has anyone ever been visited by "the hag?"  It's supposedly a problem people have been having since medieval times.  O.o  Multiple people from a variety of different places have reported the same phenomenon, down to some very specific details.  Apparently, many people who experience sleep paralysis have reported an "old hag" with a disturbingly grotesque face sitting on them and staring at them while they are immobilized in a fit of sleep paralysis.

Creepy stuff, and a little too close to home..

Has anyone ever been visited by "the hag?"  It's supposedly a problem people have been having since medieval times.  O.o  Multiple people from a variety of different places have reported the same phenomenon, down to some very specific details.  Apparently, many people who experience sleep paralysis have reported an "old hag" with a disturbingly grotesque face sitting on them and staring at them while they are immobilized in a fit of sleep paralysis.

I have not had the experience but I would greatly love to NOT see The Hag anyday soon. The closest I had to was when some gentleman with a mask came in my room and attempted to choke me in sleep paralysis. I say gentleman because he was dressed classy. One of the many downsides of sleep paralysis is the possibility of having your air way tighten causing you to feel the sensation of choking and the more you struggle the worse it gets.  I don't know if you know that already but fun fact just in case  :blush:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Apparently I've heard that you can enter paralysis if you wake up during REM sleep. Because your dreams/nightmares become terribly vivid and realistic, I guess if you were in shock you would wake up feeling terrified.

Though I don't think it does any physical harm, it would certainly be a very mentally challenging experience.

It's never happened to me personally, and I hope it never does.

Edited by The Golden Cross

(edited)

I had a sleep paralysis episode this morning.

I woke up went back to sleep then woke up again but I was paralysed this time, I had a few crazy hallucinations which involved being tied down by something which looked like shiny rope I then saw some spiders which crawled up from the end of my bed I was lucky enough that the experience only lasted a minute or two before I was able to wake up fully. 

It can be scary but it's possible to experience an OBE or Lucid Dream in this state which is really awesome. 

Edited by NightOwl

Sleep paralysis is what happens while you're asleep so that you don't jerk in response to a dream and cause yourself any damage.

I've never had, nor heard of a case of waking sleep paralysis.

I suppose it's entirely possible if you're a regular lucid dreamer who's practiced the technique, but I have my doubts.

There are many cases of waking sleep paralysis, it occurs to a lot of people in the morning when they first get up and their mind wakes and their body doesn't leaving them in a conscious state but unable to move anything

I used to get it a lot when I was younger but I haven't gotten it for ages. Mostly because I find it much more comfortable to sleep on my side, while most sleep paralysis cases happen when the person sleeps on their back.

However nocturnal epilepsy seems to have replaced it... so I'm still not exactly the best at night.

I have experienced sleep paralysis just once and it wasn't horrible, I can't say it was amazing though. Last night I was watching a video about this precise topic, hope it helps somepony :)

Also, to anyone who practices lucid dreaming and/or wants to achieve lucidity, his videos are pretty useful ;)

I've had shadowy, imprecisely defined things just squatting there at the end of where I'm sleeping.  I don't know if it fits "the hag" description, but for some reason I got the distinct impression that one of them was female.  Kind of a diminutive woman - she might have been swiping at me or something.  Think I could make out an outline of long hair.  I can never make out a face, though; they're mostly just these dark blobs that I get certain impressions about.  I should really start writing these down so I can keep them straight in my head lol.

I used to have sleep paralysis often when I was having my bad times.

I usually had them once every few days and sometimes many times per night for a year or two.

I was usually afraid that I'll stay paralized for the rest of my life.

:o