• Search

Register now to remove this ad.
Gaming

How to get a ton of free items in TF2 without doing anything (legit)

text mode idling

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Evilshy

Evilshy

Bringer of Spidery Death

• Subscribers

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

open steam library > right click team fortress 2 > properties > set launch options copy/paste this into the launch options: -textmode -nosound -noipx -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw +sv_lan 0 +map "itemtest" close > run TF2 > get your random drops without actually playing. It's called text idling, and it sets up a little server for yourself, but runs the actual game in the background. Takes up way less system resources, and you can just leave it on all day or night, so you can get your drops even if you don't have time to play. You can even see what you're getting while idling by checking your inventory through the steam client. It's totally legit, and it works.

Edited by Evilshy, 20 March 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#2 Arrow

Arrow

Bunny

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Are you sure that it's legit? You are getting stuff that costs for free, am I right?

#3 Crazy Misty

Crazy Misty

Bird

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

This is legit, you can also always try out idle servers like the one in my signature (which seems to be offline at the moment)

#4 Evilshy

Evilshy

Bringer of Spidery Death

• Subscribers

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Are you sure that it's legit?

You are getting stuff that costs for free, am I right?

By "legit", I mean that it works and valve doesn't care if you do it. There used to be 3rd party programs that acted like fake servers that let you idle, and valve didn't like that and banned a ton of accounts. But they don't care about in game idling, which is what this is.

#5 A Legend

A Legend

Devilishly Handsome Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

So setting it to launch this way is a one-time thing right, it doesn't change anything with the game? (sorry I am asking, I don't know much about this sort of stuff)

#6 Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy

Phoenix

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

So setting it to launch this way is a one-time thing right, it doesn't change anything with the game? (sorry I am asking, I don't know much about this sort of stuff)

Actually, no. If you set it in the "Set launch options" dialog through the Steam library, you'll have to go through the hassle of fixing it whenever you wish to actually play.

I'm just assuming you use Windows here, just an FYI. Instead, create a shortcut to Steam.exe (located in, obviously, your Steam folder) on your desktop, for ease of finding it. Then, go to the shortcut's properties, and in the "Target" box, after everything else in the box, paste [-applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid +map "ctf_2fort] without the brackets. This will create a shortcut that launches Team Fortress 2 in text mode, idling, while still leaving the game so you can access it through Steam's menus easily.

#7 Muaaz Abdullah

Muaaz Abdullah

Blank Flank

• Blank Flanks

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

I think its not working for me. In the console First line says that steam service not found and service startup: Service not running. Its says Itemtest.cfg not found ; not executed and before that 10~ line saying the same thing about not being able to execute some cheats in multiplayer appear in rapid succession.

#8 Street Comedy

Street Comedy

Squirrel

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Isn't this what made Valve all angry at idlers and stuff. Then they proceeded with banning the people who did this. I don't recommend doing this, trade the weapon you want for 1 scrap.

#9 Cyber Link

Cyber Link

Cupcake

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

So how are you able to fix this and play again because I would like to actually play the game again...

So how are you able to fix this and play again because I would like to actually play the game again...

Never mind i just went to launch options and erased the code.

Edited by FireBurst, 16 August 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#10 Evilshy

Evilshy

Bringer of Spidery Death

• Subscribers

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Isn't this what made Valve all angry at idlers and stuff.
Then they proceeded with banning the people who did this.
I don't recommend doing this, trade the weapon you want for 1 scrap.

Like I said, they got pissed because people were using 3rd party programs that imitated a TF2 server and intercepted the connection. Idling like this is still going through Valve, so they don't care.

#11 ElectricDarkling

ElectricDarkling

Blank Flank

• Blank Flanks

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:26 AM

Hey, Thanks Alot, i'm using it right now and it seems to be working, I got a new medic gun :D

#12 Darker

Darker

Pony

• Members

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:48 AM

I never expected to find something this useful about such beautifully adult game in a site about multi-colored rainbow-ish ponies.

I'm impressed.

#13 External Project

External Project

Bunny

• Members

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hey, Thanks Alot, i'm using it right now and it seems to be working, I got a new medic gun :D

I never expected to find something this useful about such beautifully adult game in a site about multi-colored rainbow-ish ponies.

I'm impressed.

Guys

They fixed it

On July 17, 2013, the way items are acquired has changed. In order to get an item, the player must be active, meaning they have to be:

1. Connected to VAC Secure server.
  2. Responding to in-game drop notifications while not utilizing external programs to do so.
  3. Running only one instance of the game.
  4. Not running the game in textmode.

Meeting all the criteria, earns time towards the next random item drop.

That's from the wiki

https://wiki.teamfor...com/wiki/Idling

#14 Snowflake Frostflame

Snowflake Frostflame

Dragon

• Members

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

dunno I prefer the Xbox version because there is no items..... also you can hack the Xbox version and not get banned

but I will take a stab at answering your question there probably is no way to do so you cannot receive with out earning it first..... or maybe there is a way your friends can give you stuff but I have only played the PC version for 20 minutes and I removed it from my computer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaming, text mode idling