Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think there are anti-bronies that like MLP?

Celli

possible to be a fan of MLP and be an anti-brony.

It's not really possible. If a non-conventional person watches the show then they are by definition, a "brony" so unless they truly hate themselves in addition to all those other fans then they can't be seen as hating the concept of a "brony".

It's not really possible. If a non-conventional person watches the show then they are by definition, a "brony" so unless they truly hate themselves in addition to all those other fans then they can't be seen as hating the concept of a "brony".

I don't accept the brony label and I'm a huge fan of the show, and there are others like me :confused: I don't hate the concept of a brony - hell, the concept is what drew me to watch the show in the first place - but I've just had so many sour moments with this fandom and I generally don't like labels to begin with, so ergo, not a "brony."

It's possible to be a fan of something without forcing a label on yourself, is it not?

• Brohoof 1

I don't accept the brony label and I'm a huge fan of the show, and there are others like me :confused: I don't hate the concept of a brony - hell, the concept is what drew me to watch the show in the first place - but I've just had so many sour moments with this fandom and I generally don't like labels to begin with, so ergo, not a "brony."

It's possible to be a fan of something without forcing a label on yourself, is it not?

There are defiantly stuff that goes on in the fandom that can cause me to go "really?"  The fact that some people freak out over the show being ruined every 5 minutes or the people who want to "purify" the fandom by saying stuff like "cloppers are making us look bad." Or the people who force the show down others' throats when it's clear they don't want to watch it.

Technically yes, actually no.

By liking the show you open yourself up to being labeled as a brony by the uninitiated but if you don't like to identify as a brony, especially when your like of the show has nothing to do with the fandom and is purely about the show, then you have no reason to consider yourself one.

What's more is an anti-brony is, as the name implies, one who doesn't like the idea of a brony. This includes the fandom, the habitual and emotional tendencies a lot of bronies have as well as the idea of liking any one show, especially MLP, enough to define your entire personality and/or life around it.

There is a line between being a brony and not being a brony but where that line stands is going to differ from person to person and fitting it all into a single little definition is as ignorant as any no-face hater.

The specific label isn't really relevant. It's just a word. It's what the word is supposed to represent is what matters so it doesn't matter if you call yourself a "brony" or "unconventional fan of MLP that's between the age of 11-30 or older". If a person is against the entire idea of unconventional fans but still watches the show as one then it makes no sense unless they are self-hating. It also has nothing to do with an extended fandom which the word "brony" does not have to imply in any way. Just the bare-bones concept of unconventional fans.

There are defiantly stuff that goes on in the fandom that can cause me to go "really?"  The fact that some people freak out over the show being ruined every 5 minutes or the people who want to "purify" the fandom by saying stuff like "cloppers are making us look bad." Or the people who force the show down others' throats when it's clear they don't want to watch it.

What makes us look bad is the general intolerance. I think treating one another poorly over trivial differences would make us look worse than a minority of the fandom's masterbatory habits, but that's just me. 

In any case, the intolerance I have felt in this fandom is why I dropped the label, and I'll continue in quoting this fella right here.

The specific label isn't really relevant. It's just a word. It's what the word is supposed to represent is what matters so it doesn't matter if you call yourself a "brony" or "unconventional fan of MLP that's between the age of 11-30 or older". If a person is against the entire idea of unconventional fans but still watches the show as one then it makes no sense unless they are self-hating. It also has nothing to do with an extended fandom which the word "brony" does not have to imply in any way. Just the bare-bones concept of unconventional fans.

To be a fan of MLP isn't to be a "Brony" - that's the label fans get. To be a fan of MLP - or anything - is to be a fan. That's the undroppable label. "Fan." I feel that, as a human being, I can reject the label that comes along with being a fan of something if I very well please. Won't stop others from labeling me with it, but that does mean I can stop labeling myself as one and grant myself a bit of freedom and comfort knowing that I'm not associated with a label that has brought a lot of stress and sadness with it.

You're opting to label me as a brony because I'm a fan of MLP. Whatever - I'm not, though, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise, and that's all it boils down to. I've stated why I don't consider myself a brony and why I feel like I have the ability to reject the label if I please. If you wish to treat it like I have no option as what I label myself as, than carry on.

• Brohoof 1

Technically yes, actually no.

By liking the show you open yourself up to being labeled as a brony by the uninitiated but if you don't like to identify as a brony, especially when your like of the show has nothing to do with the fandom and is purely about the show, then you have no reason to consider yourself one.

What's more is an anti-brony is, as the name implies, one who doesn't like the idea of a brony. This includes the fandom, the habitual and emotional tendencies a lot of bronies have as well as the idea of liking any one show, especially MLP, enough to define your entire personality and/or life around it.

There is a line between being a brony and not being a brony but where that line stands is going to differ from person to person and fitting it all into a single little definition is as ignorant as any no-face hater.

The idea of a "brony" has nothing to do with any fandom inherently. Fandoms are chosen and personal extensions of the word and nothing more which do not have to be embraced. The word itself just means "unconventional fan". So it doesn't matter if someone doesn't want to be called "brony" or not. Maybe it's like "out of sight, out of mind" to them. They are still defined by the idea of "unconventional fan" if they are indeed an unconventional fan of MLP and or FiM. Just substitute "brony" in the title with "Unconventional fan" and ask yourself the same question. If there are fans that hate the idea of unconventional fans then they are self hating or hypocrites.

You're opting to label me as a brony because I'm a fan of MLP. Whatever - I'm not, though, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise, and that's all it boils down to. I've stated why I don't consider myself a brony and why I feel like I have the ability to reject the label if I please. If you wish to treat it like I have no option as what I label myself as, than carry on.

Don't put words in my mouth!! I said whether people call themselves "bronies" or not is irrelevant. I don't care if you do or do not and I never even remotely implied any dispute with you on that issue. I said that the term means "fan" so people that are anti-"brony" are simply anti-fans which makes their opinion illogical if it comes from a fan, again, unless they are self-hating. You're right though. This is clearly a waste of time if you are going to be deceitful and rude.

Don't put words in my mouth!! I said whether people call themselves "bronies" or not is irrelevant. I don't care if you do or do not and I never even remotely implied any dispute with you on that issue. I said that the term means "fan" so people that are anti-"brony" are simply anti-fans which makes their opinion illogical if it comes from a fan, again, unless they are self-hating. You're right though. This is clearly a waste of time if you are going to be deceitful and rude.

Alright, I think what I said was misunderstood. Looking back at it, I realize it was easy to take the wrong way. I'm sorry about that.

I wasn't trying to be deceitful or rude, I was more less commenting on "If people want to label me, whatever, but only I decide what labels I wear, and if people want to label me something I'm not, they can go ahead and do that - it isn't really my problem and I don't want to waste to the time proving otherwise." You didn't say what it seemed like I was accusing you of and such should be made clear. All apologies about that, I was speaking to people who wish to label me in general, not you specifically, if that makes any sense. Sorry, bud.

tl;dr - I wasn't talking about you specifically, but I worded it poorly and it was easy to take the wrong way. Replace "you" with "they" and it'd get the point I was trying to make across better.

I've always thought of anti-bronies as those who are, well, strictly against bronies and what they stand for, and not necessarily 100% against the show.

I've always thought of anti-bronies as those who are, well, strictly against bronies and what they stand for, and not necessarily 100% against the show.

What we stand for?  Curious phrase, if you think about it.  All we stand for is simply being able to like what you want, even if you don't fit the stereotypical target demographic.  That's it.  Anything more is just overcomplicating it, imo.

In response to @ghostfacekiller39's whole spiel on labeling, I definitely understand that.  I've always been annoyed by the trend of society's incessant need to label others and then jump to conclusions about what said label means.  You can never just like something without being labeled as part of some group or sub-group or what have you.  However, I will say that people's unfair assumptions about what "brony" means are the whole problem in the first place.  Technically, all it means is an MLP fan outside the target demographic, and nothing more.  But I understand that Ghostie's had too many sourings, and I can respect that.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if half the haters are closet MLP fans themselves, honestly.  Half the anti-bronies are probably closet bronies, half the anti-cloppers are probably closet cloppers, etc.  If we were all honest, the world would be a better place.

• Brohoof 1

first I want to say this topic was started on my Birthday before I joined the forums (8 days later) so that's good

now to your question yes there are some members of ABB who like ponies they are either pretending to be a ABB so they don't feel the hatred I see it all the time and there are some members of ABB who just hate the ponies but find them sexy the brotherhood is just weird

Probably, considering the reaction formation theory of Sigmund Freud.

In case you are confused, reaction formation is the behavior in which someone tries to appear to be supporting the opposite side of his actual true thoughts on something, either unconsciously or consciously due to insecurity or other reasons.

Edited by Solid Scorpion

They ALL do. ALL OF THEM. They hate themselves for how much they like the show, and generally are afraid of what others would think if they didn't go out of their way to let everyone in earshot know how much they "hate" it.

• 7 years later...