Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did Equestria Girls need a love interest?

Ranger22

I mean give him more of a role than just a piss taking cameo, I know Hasbro are just trying to annoy us with his punchable face. I prefer his Pony design other than his human design, maybe give him a personality. And Twilight just seems to ignore his appearance in season 4 like nothing happened.

Yeah I can't think of a reason why Flash or Heck any of the background ponies aren't more prominent in the series. This isn't like Transformers Prime where they're limited by how many characters can... Oh wait nevermind, I just remembered that the focus of this series is the mane 6 and occasionally the CmC, so generally when writers have cast focused show, writers tend to create plots that revolve solely around that cast. Thus we don't get development for background characters like Flash. 

That and I think they're trying to avoid what G1 Transformers and My Little Pony did, where you had this overwhelmingly large cast of characters to where it hard to keep track of them all.

Seemed like just another toy selling thing and a stereotype just to make it "girly". 

A method I both hate and respect Hasbro for...

He was nothing but a 'crush' interest to help EQG appeal to the high school female demographic. He's the typical 'cool guy' and is more bland than Maud's pet bolder. >_>

Now thats not fair, Boulder is fantastic at 'Camouflage'! :lol:

I think Flash was my least favourite thing in EG, mostly because he was made to be such a cliche love interest. I hope his pony equivalent is better fleshed out if they decided to pursue the idea in Equestria.

Now thats not fair, Boulder is fantastic at 'Camouflage'! :lol:

I think Flash was my least favourite thing in EG, mostly because he was made to be such a cliche love interest. I hope his pony equivalent is better fleshed out if they decided to pursue the idea in Equestria.

Flash could have had more personality in the movie but for w/e reason he din't,im assuming because he was really just a after thought. I have no idea what their going to do for him in the show,but hes gonna need alot of character development if they plan on shipping him with Twilight...

Flash could have had more personality in the movie but for w/e reason he din't,im assuming because he was really just a after thought. I have no idea what their going to do for him in the show,but hes gonna need alot of character development if they plan on shipping him with Twilight...

Completely agree. For me, EG would have been much better without that part, I cringed every time they interacted. I hope that ship doesn't sail in Equestria to be honest. 

Completely agree. For me, EG would have been much better without that part, I cringed every time they interacted. I hope that ship doesn't sail in Equestria to be honest. 

I think most of the audience(atleast in the theater i was in) was cringing too,regardless of gender.... I personally hope he continues to be a 'finger' to the fandom and not a love interest to Twilight as he's not worthy at the moment,not even close,hell Twilight din't even notice his existence in the episodes he showed up in lol.

On 6/26/2014 at 10:06 PM, Pinkamena-Pills said:

I think most of the audience(atleast in the theater i was in) was cringing too,regardless of gender.... I personally hope he continues to be a 'finger' to the fandom and not a love interest to Twilight as he's not worthy at the moment,not even close,hell Twilight din't even notice his existence in the episodes he showed up in lol.

You saw it at a theatre? :o Thats really cool actually! 

@@MysticColtRider,

I'd have to agree with you on that one.  

Really? Why? I ask that because of this:"I'm a comic-book geek who grew up in the 90s. The only comics I read that were "kid friendly" were Sonic The Hedgehog comics, as the Marvel and DC titles were geared to guys from ages 13 and up. Simply because DC Comics published Alan Moore's Watchmen and Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns in 1986(Two years before I was born) and because of that the mainstream media in it's infinite wisdom deemed that Superhero Comic-books aren't just for kids anymore! And while some good stories came from this until the early 2000s Marvel and DC had stopped making comics for kids. And then you have the mainstream gaming market who seems to rely on the three gaming franchises: Call Of Duty, Clash Of Clans, and EA Sports titles when through out the 80s and 90s, you had a wide variety of games to choose from.

Now yes the mainstream PoV is that MLP is a pink, frilly show for little girls, but if, the battle during Canterlot Wedding, Daring Do's nod to Indiana Jones, Mare-Do-well, The Power Ponies, Twilight's fight with Tirek, and IDW MLP Comics are any indication, that PoV is changing. But my hope is that it won't change so much that it won't feel like MLP anymore. Hence why I'm glad Hasbro's sticking to their guns...

However, just because it's a show for little girls doesn't mean that the there shouldn't be character development, depth, and interesting plots like there have been so far. Honestly as a guy who's played with girls, I find it unfair that we get all the cool $%#@... Though it's kinda understandable... Statistics and all that...

You saw it at a theatre? :o Thats really cool actually! Yer I hope so too,  no-one is worthy of Twi's affections really.  :D

Yup,saw it in theaters day one,i recall everyone getting real quite everytime Flash showed up,especially the first time he was show...awkward silence much lol

@@MysticColtRider,

I agree on that you hate and respect hasbro for the use of the stereotypical environments. They're just trying to keep a balance.  

Yep, and thank God for that... And I'd like to say how that doesn't excuse the under use of the background ponies and giving them shining supporting roles, but like I already said:" I think they're trying to avoid what G1 Transformers and My Little Pony did, where you had this overwhelmingly large cast of characters to where it hard to keep track of them all."

The only reason people like myself managed that is because we were invested in the world and mythology G1 MLP and Transformers had... Not to mention with Transformers at least the characters had memorable traits. But my point is not everyone can get that invested into a series. I think another problem is that something about G3 worked for Hasbro and they're trying to cling to whatever that was while balancing it out with what these new writers want to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Because it's a movie for teen girls? Not adult men and women?

Why are we critiquing it as if it was aimed at us? The formula that was used is a guarantee sell in the box office. Why mess with it just to make the fans (that it was never aimed at btw) happy?

(edited)

I believe he was created to promote the toyetic franchise that is called Equestria Girls. Because all girls looove romance. >_>

I find it a real shame that Hasbro decided to create this overly-clichéd franchise after how non-stereotypical MLP: FiM is, but it's freaking Hasbro, so what do I expect?

Edited by Mienshao
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think Hasbro wants a little drama for Equestria Girls other than the actual story line of getting back the crown blah blah blah. Besides, maybe Hasbro thought "Hey guys, since Twilight's going to a dance, she should have someone to dance with". Anyway, I do find it odd that she finds a human attractive when she called them "fleshy two-legged creatures with these! 'referring to hands'" She lived with ponies her whole life and suddenly finds an alien species that she has no knowledge of attractive.

It is a weird concept but makes a little sense.

Also, Flashlight is an AWESOME ship name.

Edited by #1FluttershyFan
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't see at all why Flash Sentry's human form was a love interest for Twilight. It was basically everything cliche about it.

That said, if she crushed on his pony form back in Equestria, that I wouldn't have a problem with.

Besides, did you see that adorable smile of his!?

Who can blame her?

post-27192-0-84714400-1405258584_thumb.png

Edited by Shadowking58
  • Brohoof 1

I think Hasbro wants a little drama for Equestria Girls other than the actual story line of getting back the crown blah blah blah. Besides, maybe Hasbro thought "Hey guys, since Twilight's going to a dance, she should have someone to dance with". Anyway, I do find it odd that she finds a human attractive when she called them "fleshy two-legged creatures with these! 'referring to hands'" She lived with ponies her whole life and suddenly finds an alien species that she has no knowledge of attractive.

It is a weird concept but makes a little sense.

Also, Flashlight is an AWESOME ship name.

Same way as Spikey Wikey finds Rarity attractive despite being a dragon? May also helped that these humans are counterparts of ponies, so, Twily probably gave zero fucks  :P

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Because it's a movie for teen girls? Not adult men and women?

FIM's animated product is all-ages and gender-neutral with a much younger base demographic than EQG. DHX has been able to attract millions of bronies worldwide through their animation, stories, relatable characters, and relatable conflicts.

There's nothing inherently relatable with Flash Sentry in any way, and he's one of many big reason why the movie sucked. He's not just a major cliché, but a badly done one at that. He flatter than cardboard and a Gary Stu. On top of that, his only purpose is to be Twilight's love interest, but besides just one time, they bump into each other, and Twilight acts like an idiot. There's no chemistry between the two, and his appearances become a major distraction to the narrative.

Also, like what I wrote in my blog, "it's for kids" is no excuse for bad writing!

Why are we critiquing it as if it was aimed at us?

People critique and (harshly) criticize bad family/"children's" entertainment because there are certain standards of quality to expect, and DHX imposes that level of quality on both their audience and themselves. DHX royally screwed up by badly writing this movie. If the critics didn't care for the quality of entertainment for our children to watch, then they wouldn't tear apart the gigantic holes in this film. There's no objectively good reason to support Flash Sentry (or the movie, BTW) in any way because everything it does goes completely against one of FIM's most important themes: subversion. Like the setting itself, Flash Sentry doesn't subvert anything.

The formula that was used is a guarantee sell in the box office.

Just because it's a successful moneymaker doesn't a good movie make. Look at several of Pixar's creations: Wall-E, Toy Story/2/3, Up!, and The Incredibles. They're all successful, but these movies are widely remembered for the right reasons. Simply because they're all AMAZING!

Equestria Girls follows what is a financially successful formula with no regards for quality.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

It's just a phase. She's probably gotten over or by now. If it was genuine love, then we'd at least see her interacting with Flash in Three's a Crowd. But no, that's not how it went down.

(edited)

That guy has a horrible and fluffing reputation for streaming waifus ehhhh? Then while take the arrows in the knees, he be makin shizz storms. I give him a meh..

He is a great guy though, though why is he the only guy in ck that's non c pony? A foreign exchange pony anypony?

Edited by sweetie bloom

Yeah, I find the fact that Twilight is attracted to Flash to be really disgusting. I mean, imagine if you just pulled out some random guy from our fandom, turned him into a pony, and threw him into Equestria. Do you honestly think that he, with his human mind, would be attracted to ponies?

Actually, don't answer that.

But seriously, Flash is probably the worst thing in that movie. He's just another generic, guitar-playing, muscle car-driving douchebag. I think everybody can agree that the movie would have been stronger without him. Also, he doesn't really have any purpose in the move. Any one of the other Humane 6 could have showed Principle Luna those photos. Hell, they could have all come in at once. It would have reinforced Twilight's trust in them, to the point where she would finally be able to reveal her true self to the others. It'd of been better than that lazy writing trick they did with Pinkie.

• Brohoof 1