Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Harry Potter

FangirlForever

My favorite character is Harry potter since he is the hero and everything. I would want to be in gryffindor since that one is better than the others. :3

• Brohoof 1

My favorite character is Harry potter since he is the hero and everything. I would want to be in gryffindor since that one is better than the others. :3

A. I hate that line of reasoning. He's the main character so everyone should love him, right? </being difficult on purpose>

B. We really don't know if Gryffindor is the best. The series really only showed us what it's like to be in Gryffindor and Slytherin and it's a horribly one-sided story since Harry and all the 'good guys' ended up in one and all of their greatest rivals/enemies were in the other. We don't really get much of the history of all the houses or their relationships throughout the years since Hogwartz' inception. We just happen to get all the juicy parts during the Voldemort incident. We don't know what the houses are like when there isn't a war going on.

The universe really needs to be expanded on.

• Brohoof 2

A. I hate that line of reasoning. He's the main character so everyone should love him, right? </being difficult on purpose>B. We really don't know if Gryffindor is the best. The series really only showed us what it's like to be in Gryffindor and Slytherin and it's a horribly one-sided story since Harry and all the 'good guys' ended up in one and all of their greatest rivals/enemies were in the other. We don't really get much of the history of all the houses or their relationships throughout the years since Hogwartz' inception. We just happen to get all the juicy parts during the Voldemort incident. We don't know what the houses are like when there isn't a war going on.The universe really needs to be expanded on.

1. That's the best line of reasoning.

2. Well gryffindor is better. Hufflepuff sounds wimpy if you listen to its name. Ravenclaw just doesn't seem to make sense. Finally Slytheren is to evil. So that makes Gryffindor the most reasonable and better one.

(edited)

1. That's the best line of reasoning.

2. Well gryffindor is better. Hufflepuff sounds wimpy if you listen to its name. Ravenclaw just doesn't seem to make sense. Finally Slytheren is to evil. So that makes Gryffindor the most reasonable and better one.

Even if the main character was completely dull, was an absolute coward or was even evil himself? He's the main character so he MUST be awesome by default? I call bullshit. I'm not saying Harry is any of those things but that reason alone doesn't hold much water.

Gryffindor is better because of what, the sound of the names? What do you know about the houses and the people in them? What they were like fifty years ago? A hundred years ago? Have you considered the possibility that there was a time when all four houses did little more than compete in grades and everything else didn't matter?

Hufflepuff sounding wimpy and Ravenclaw not making sense...I don't know where you even got any of that. You almost make it sound like you've never read the books.

Edited by Discordian

Even if the main character was completely dull, was an absolute coward or was even evil himself? He's the main character so he MUST be awesome by default? I call bullshit. I'm not saying Harry is any of those things but that reason alone doesn't hold much water.Gryffindor is better because of what, the sound of the names? What do you know about the houses and the people in them? What they were like fifty years ago? A hundred years ago? Have you considered the possibility that there was a time when all four houses did little more than compete in grades and everything else didn't matter?Hufflepuff sounding wimpy and Ravenclaw not making sense...I don't know where you even got any of that. You almost make it sound like you've never read the books.

Sure I wouldn't know back then in that world but still it's better and I've read the books.

My favorite character(s) are Nymphadora Tonks, Luna Lovegood and Ginny Weasly. I would be sorted into prob Hufflepuff, and even though I'm not finished with the books (but movies!), I love the Harry Potter series. :)

My favorite character is Prof. Snape. It was an interesting plot twist, seeing as how you would be made to hate him only to see that he really isn't a douche in the first place. If i was in any house, i'd be confused between which house i'd end up, probably either Slytherin or Ravenclaw. I'm not particularly brave or heroic. 

I loved Hermione as a kid, I still do today (I can relate to her every easily). Luna Lovegood is another character I love.

I think I would be a Ravenclaw :)

(edited)

I loved the Marauders in the series (Could be due to the fanfiction but whatever). Tonks was also awesome too. I took a quiz and my house result was Ravenclaw, even though I think I'm more Slytherin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well gryffindor is better. Hufflepuff sounds wimpy if you listen to its name. Ravenclaw just doesn't seem to make sense. Finally Slytheren is to evil. So that makes Gryffindor the most reasonable and better one.

I know Discordian replied to you with this but the house part bothers me and I have a right to speak my opinions goddamnit!

Okay, Hufflepuff being wimpy. No. The traits are

• Dedication
  • Hard Work
  • Fair play
  • Patience
  • Kindness
  • Tolerance
  • Unafraid of Toil

It doesn't say that they're the bravest, but how in the world do these defining traits make them seem wimpy? (See: Nymphadora Tonks for more details.) Additionally, how does a house suited the smartest of the bunch not make sense? It's not a hard concept and I'm too lazy to explain it like I did with Hufflepuff. Finally, Slytherin are not pure evil, and Gryffindor are not pure good. (For Slytherin see: Professor Snape and for Gryffindor, see: arseholerat Peter Pettigrew.)

Sorry for the nerdrage, but the stereotypes the houses are given really get on my nerves... ):<

Edited by Armin
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I loved the Marauders in the series (Could be due to the fanfiction but whatever). Tonks was also awesome too. I took a quiz and my house result was Ravenclaw, even though I think I'm more Slytherin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/size]

I know Discordian replied to you with this but the house part bothers me and I have a right to speak my opinions goddamnit!

Okay, Hufflepuff being wimpy. No. The traits are

• Dedication
  • Hard Work
  • Fair play
  • Patience
  • Kindness
  • Tolerance
  • Unafraid of Toil
It doesn't say that they're the bravest, but how in the world do these defining traits make them seem wimpy? (See: Nymphadora Tonks for more details.) Additionally, how does a house suited the smartest of the bunch not make sense? It's not a hard concept and I'm too lazy to explain it like I did with Hufflepuff. Finally, Slytherin are not pure evil, and Gryffindor are not pure good. (For Slytherin see: Professor Snape and for Gryffindor, see: arseholerat Peter Pettigrew.)

Sorry for the nerdrage, but the stereotypes the houses are given really get on my nerves... ):<

I haven't read the books in at least a decade so a lot of the details are lost to me now so I'm glad someone with more in-depth knowledge could help out with that.

One of the main things I was getting at is that the houses aren't completely black and white. If Slytherin was inherently evil then it wouldn't exist. Hogwartz is pretty strict about the students being fair to each other while attempting to earn points. Not to mention the ban of dark arts and rather a class to defend against them. It's hardly the fault of Slytherin that the whole Voldemort mess was going on and influenced the house because he was in it.

On the other hand, if it were so one-sided that Griffindor were absolutely the best there would be absolutely no reason to have other houses at all. The four-house system wouldn't have stood for so long if it was so completely obvious that one house was best and all students should go there.

As far as I remember, house is based on personality type so you really can't say which house is better than the others because of the events of the books which took place during a time of very special events. The circumstances made Griffindor look good and Slytherin look bad.

---

Thinking about it I really gotta reread the books. I never did read the last one either. Saw the movies but book movies are terrible anyway.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

Oh man, this is my favorite book series of all time. I wouldn't say I have a favorite character. Everybody has something I like.

(edited)

1. It is hard to choose just one when you have lots of amazing characters, i'd choose Luna (What a coincidence that my favorite MLP character has the same name  :comeatus: ), but i don't really know, it's been a long time since i read the books...

2. Ravenclaw

3. Harry Potter is awesome! i've read the books twice and soon i'll read them again

Edited by Fawkes The Phoenix

I wonder who Rupert's BP is?

I almost don't know where to begin. If not for Star Wars and LOTR, Rowling's epic would easily be my favorite fantasy property.

1. Snape - Severus Snape was a character that I loathed immensely by the close of Book 3. With each passing installment of the series, Rowling deftly added subtlety to his character, that makes for a great character study. By the time Half Blood Prince was done and rolling around the old brain pan, I prayed that there were some shenanigans going on. His final scene was perfect, and his 'redemption' arc is actually more believable than even Anakin Skywalkers. I noticed that Rowling's writing tightened a bit when during scenes where Snape had a major role. That tells me that she wanted very much to keep her cards close regarding him.

2. Ravenclaw.

3. My opinions on the series? I consider Rowling the most influential author of the last 15 years. If John Green continues to grow as a writer, but still maintains that Salinger feel to his narrative ... he may overtake her.

(edited)

I like Harry, of course! :D

I don't know if I really care what house I'm in. I wouldn't mind being Slytherin, either, because it's not "evil" at all. Some bad people just happened to come out of it.

I've read all of the books at least twice, and I know everything about the series. These were the only books that I truly enjoyed reading!

Gryffindors are brave and stand up to the challenge.

Hufflepuffs are loyal and true.

Ravenclaws are wise and resourceful.

Slytherins are true friends and determined.

Edited by Frosty Nerd

(edited)

I've only watched the movies, which I found too bad in various aspects to significantly empathize for the story, especially the later ones where I often thought "WTF?! Why are they doing / not doing that?!" "What happened in-between then and now? Crude cut?" "How did that work? Should I just accept it and shut up" etc. There's so much messed up, absurd and illogical stuff going on in that world.

My favorite character is Luna Lovegood. Not only does the name appeal to me very much, haha, but she is smart, wise (especially about what's going on in people's heads) and straightforwardly outspoken about it, which reminds me a bit of myself. Very pleasant company, haha.

I'd probably like being in Ravenclaw to derive satisfaction from developing my talents properly. I don't know anything about Hufflepuff, but if it's as fun and the name suggests, it, too, might be a place I like being (and loyalty and truth are always empowering and I value them highly). And it made me think that FluffyMixer probably got his inspiration for Fluffle Puff from that house's name.

Basically, the former would nourish my Twilight Sparkle / Luna side, the latter my Pinkie Pie side then. I'm slightly leaning towards Ravenclaw though.

Slytherine would remind me too much of my unpleasant life experience. I just don't enjoy being the shining beacon in a shadowy environment. It only cripples my true potential, and usually people are way too much in love with their inner demons to let go of them when a light shines on them.

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Just one thing for everyone who says that Slytherin is evil...

Ok, so all bad guys come from Slytherin

But not all Slytherin are bad guys

If those wizards were more wise, they'd put those 'problem cases' as minorities into the other houses so that they can eventually raise their energy frequency. Because apparently they're on a lower spiritual level, and if they put those people into such a massive comfort zone, it is to be expected that the really big problems cases emerge from there.

Harry Potter is an anti-hero tho.

But I cant wait for Fantastic Creatures And Where To Find Them.

I love Harry Potter! It's both my favorite book series and movie series. :) My favorite character is Luna (:comeatus:) Lovegood; I like how she's so weird but kind of funny too. :wacko:

My favorite house is definitely Ravenclaw! Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure ;)

• Brohoof 1