Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Have Asperger's. Aspie-Bronies Out There?

PonyFunk

I have Asperger's and has had it since I was 10 and I'm now 13, so..not too long ago I was diagnosed.

Fun Fact :squee: : I also have Depression, Anxiety, and Sleeping Problems!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Another guy with aspergers here. Not sure when I was diagnosed, but it was a good few years ago now. I used to be quite prone to tantrums and outbursts. I'm a lot better at staying calm now, though occasionally I'll still get upset over something kinda trivial, like if my class misbehaves in school (for the record, they're actually really nice people, they just have their moments). I also used to have sensory overload problems relating to loud noises, though I've also gotten better at dealing with that. I still have problems with social interaction, but I'm slowly improving. I'm lucky enough that my school has a great Learning Support department who are able to deal with stuff like this. Anyway, nice to see that there are so many others here like me. It's a pleasure to meet you all.

P.S Sorry for the wall of text.

Edited by kuma9k
  • Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

i've never been diagnosed, but i read about Aspergers and i think that i may have because i have most of the symtomps, however, i can't really diagnose myself, but i don't wanna go to a psychologist.

There are a lot of people with Aspergers in this forum  :wacko: 

Seems pretty popular in the MLP fandom in general, as i said in another post when i was in a college with lots of other people with aspergers MLP was pretty fairly popular~, so in that way i guess it makes sense.

• Brohoof 2

• 6 months later...

I do! What's some aspie stuff you do?

Well, for one i obsessively keep pointless objects, like bottle caps can tabs receipts, that kinda thing... for no reason lol I treat life like a tv show and talk to strangers as people from different shows... i dunno its a thing i do. What about you? 

• Brohoof 1

I can't help but be inspired to create animes and characters in my head while listening to music. I flap my hands and pace. I often twitch and I hum nervously. Im a picky eater and still sometimes sensitive to certain textures and sounds

Here, here! I have Aspergers syndrome and you know how much ponies fascinate me based on how much I post on the fandoms. I also thought unicorns and pegasuses were cool mythological creatures before MLP:FiM came out.

• Brohoof 1

For me, I develop special interests in things and study everything I can about it. Then I try to share with people what I'm into and can get into something for several years. Then I'll wake up one morning and not care about that one thing anymore and move on to something else. I also have really good hearing and smelling. I take things literallly and have a hard time deciding if someone is joking. I tend to laugh or take an interest in things most people don't. I don't talk very much and have trouble looking at people in the eyes. My mind is constantly busy to the point I have trouble sleeping at night or when I do sleep it's only for a few hours. I don't like to wear clothes with bright colors or patterns and I'm also a really picky eater. I also get a lot of stomach aches. I've had that problem since I was a tiny baby.

• Brohoof 3

I have it. Diagnosed a couple of years ago or so.

For me, I develop special interests in things and study everything I can about it. Then I try to share with people what I'm into and can get into something for several years. Then I'll wake up one morning and not care about that one thing anymore and move on to something else. I also have really good hearing and smelling. I take things literallly and have a hard time deciding if someone is joking. I tend to laugh or take an interest in things most people don't. I don't talk very much and have trouble looking at people in the eyes. My mind is constantly busy to the point I have trouble sleeping at night or when I do sleep it's only for a few hours. I don't like to wear clothes with bright colors or patterns and I'm also a really picky eater. I also get a lot of stomach aches. I've had that problem since I was a tiny baby.

Hmm, I see a lot of myself in this. Only thing is I talk a lot once I get started

Edited by bronislav84
  • Brohoof 2

I was diagnosed a little under 20 years ago. I've had tons of therapy and now it's barely detectable. People who know Asperger's could probably pick me out but the average joe wouldn't. I still have aversion to eye contact and sometimes tone slips by me but I'm blessed to be as functional as I am. I work, live on my own, pay my own bills, it's pretty awesome.

• Brohoof 3

Admittedly, I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome as well. Wonderful. My very existence reinforces brony stereotypes.

What I don't understand is why MLP has attracted so many autistic people. What exactly is the connection between autism and a fantasy world with talking animals?

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 4

My mom told me that I very well may have it, but I was never officially diagnosed...

That being said, I have criminally narrow interests, the WORST time connecting with peers, and find myself doing repetitive actions all the time, and have no real way of changing it...

• Brohoof 1

I never diagnosed before in my life but I think I'm having problem with it because I'm horrible at interacting with other people on speaking, sometimes I shutter my speaks, sometimes I went to really awkward when talking and stuff. I hate it :/

• Brohoof 1

I have Asperger's. For me though, it's high-functioning (I process a lot quicker than most people, though my social ability suffers due to this). Though the autism side of it is mild, the functioning side of Asperger's is quite strong. It's not uncommon for me to ace tests when I haven't studied anything at all. 

• Brohoof 2

I find that people with Asperger's are wonderfull.

I think they have an irresistible innocence about them.

I find that they often use this innocence well, since they can say and do things that are going to be accepted better than if someone else were to say or do it.

• Brohoof 4

I have it. Over came it almost completely and now I just use it as a tool. Although the sucky thing is as I may be able to fit into social situations quite well it never feels right so I became a loner by choice. Well accept when I find a fellow, how should I say, another goof-off? A goofy goober? Basically anyone with the same stupid sense of humor I have and then we laugh until we can't laugh anymore. Oh and yea mine is high-functioning, I was just born a rebel (parents weren't too fond of that! XD) and broke pretty much all of the negative traits it gave me with a lot of work. I don't like when people or even life tells me what to do. I'd rather live by what I believe is right. Don't let your aspergers control you, it is possible to overcome.

• Brohoof 2