Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Feminist Club!

Jennabun

(edited)

I don't care for the term either, but there's a reason why it's attributed to them. >_<

Not to mention that fact that with the media, the most extreme views tend to bring in the most viewers. Now, I'm not saying that the media completely ignores the moderates, but...yeah, you get my point. *Sigh.*

That's why it's so imperative to be familiar with some grassroots campaigns and local organizations who actually do 99% work for the movement, rather than just blindly accepting what the mainstream media reports. I get so frustrated when people are like, "I heard once that a feminist wanted to kill all men omg feminists are all crazy misandrist fire-breathing bitches!!!!!!" X__X Ugh. It's really not that hard to do some actual research on some real feminist activists who do good, positive work. Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 2

The problem is that social networking sites are flooded by the radical feminist type. That is most likely what leads to the bad image. You guys are cool though

• Brohoof 2

That's why it's so imperative to be familiar with some grassroots campaigns and local organizations who actually do 99% work for the movement, rather than just blindly accepting what the mainstream media reports. I get so frustrated when people are like, "I heard once that a feminist wanted to kill all men omg feminists are all crazy misandrist fire-breathing bitches!!!!!!" X__X Ugh. It's really not that hard to do some actually research on some real feminist activists who do good, positive work.

Agreed, fully.

And by research, don't fully concentrate that on Tumblr blogs and what not. The resources out there exist; it's just up to people like us to find them. :)

• Brohoof 1

Agreed, fully.

And by research, don't fully concentrate that on Tumblr blogs and what not. The resources out there exist; it's just up to people like us to find them. :)

Relying on Tumblr blogs for research is idiotic. These are the same people who tried to take down 4Chan and paid dearly for it

• Brohoof 2

Relying on Tumblr blogs for research is idiotic. These are the same people who tried to take down 4Chan and paid dearly for it

I'll say. My tags were flooded with warning posts about 4chan going to Tumblr. I never saw a single warning post though.

• Brohoof 2

Agreed, fully.

Don't completely discredit tumblr though. Yeah there's some crazies (as with any social network), but I've really found some good resources there. Tumblr can especially be good for insectional feminism: feminism that encompasses racial issues, sexual orientation issues, disability issues, etc... I've learned a lot from Tumblr; it all depends on how you weild it :)

• Brohoof 4

I'll say. My tags were flooded with warning posts about 4chan going to Tumblr. I never saw a single warning post though.

I didn't see any of the actual damage, but the point is that everyone on Tumblr is in a panic. Honestly, I bet there were like 120 posts, maximum, and that was enough to shatter the glass psyches of Tumblr. 

But yeah, if you have Tumblr, stay out of the feminist tag for several reasons

1. In case 4Chan tries something else. 

2. Because everyone on Tumblr seems to think that flooding the tags with kittens is better than gore(it's still annoying spam)

3. Warning posts all over the damn place

Don't completely discredit tumblr though. Yeah there's some crazies (as with any social network), but I've really found some good resources there. Tumblr can especially be good for insectional feminism: feminism that encompasses racial issues, sexual orientation issues, disability issues, etc... I've learned a lot from Tumblr; it all depends on how you weild it :)

Meeehhhhhhhh. They threw a site wide tantrum over some gory pictures. This sums it up

Fair point. :)

The real point is that one should be careful when doing research; though that also applies to topics outside of feminism. The internet is our great resource; use it well people. :)

• Brohoof 3

I for one welcome our new feminine overlords. Hmm, after reading a lot of the posts on this thread, it seems that I was mistaken in what the majority of feminists are for. You all have my full support. :)

• Brohoof 3

Fair point. :)

The real point is that one should be careful when doing research; though that also applies to topics outside of feminism. The internet is our great resource; use it well people. :)

I personally prefer to look for actual sources that are cited well. Tumblr doesn't often provide these(sometimes though).

I've got a bad history with lying posts(the infamous one about a girl getting beaten up and the charges getting dropped? It was a kangaroo attack)

• Brohoof 1

I for one welcome our new feminine overlords. Hmm, after reading a lot of the posts on this thread, it seems that I was mistaken in what the majority of feminists are for. You all have my full support. :)

Thank you very much for the support. We appreciate it. ;)

• Brohoof 2

BTW, what do you think of this idea

"Making women butch is sexist and homophobic. By making a female masculine, you are telling little girls they have to act like men and perpetuating the stereotype of strong women being men"

Note that this was in response to Elsa from Frozen fighting off some guards. Because fighting is purely for males and this

Elsa_gif_3.gif

Is Butch

"Making women butch is sexist and homophobic. By making a female masculine, you are telling little girls they have to act like men and perpetuating the stereotype of strong women being men"

Note that this was in response to Elsa from Frozen fighting off some guards. Because fighting is purely for males and this

Elsa_gif_3.gif

Is Butch

Firstly, I ain't here to argue. Secondly, i'm posting this because this ones seems pretty stupid.

That is a very dumb thing to say, in response to a fight in an animation with some guards and a female. They would have to say that for every movie where a woman has fought some others and won. Also, someone doesn't have to be physically strong to be strong. I guess that group had never heard of mental strength, probably because they have the mental capacity of a pile of shit. 

I bet if they (the guards) captured her they would say something like 'she is weak, this is trying to tell little girls to be weak and vunerable' or some crap like that. 

Finally, that ain't butch, clearly they have a different vision of butch to us.

I've spoken *leaves*

• Brohoof 4

img-2813941-1-Elsa_gif_3.gif

Is Butch

I don't want to be rude, but this post and your previous one about women with periods make it seem as if you are trying to start an argument.

img-2813941-1-Elsa_gif_3.gif

Is Butch

I don't personally agree. I think women IRL come in all sorts of gender expressions, so all sorts of women should be portrayed in the media. There's nothing wrong with a woman being butch or acting masculine; conversely, there's nothing wrong with women being super girly. Neither kind of woman, or any kind of woman in-between, is a slam against feminism.

• Brohoof 2

I don't want to be rude, but this post and your previous one about women with periods make it seem as if you are trying to start an argument.

No, just get opinions. Sorry :(

My main goal with that was to get an opinion from rational feminists

• Brohoof 2

No, just get opinions. Sorry :(

My main goal with that was to get an opinion from rational feminists

Oh okay! I'm sorry. ^^

Excuse my accusation friend!

• Brohoof 2

Oh okay! I'm sorry. ^^

Excuse my accusation friend!

See, that opinion was from the radical side. And I think that the argument you guys made was far better, imo

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

See, that opinion was from the radical side. And I think that the argument you guys made was far better, imo

Yeah, but misunderstandings can happen with sensitive topics like these. At least we all can find an understanding. :)

Edited by PathfinderCS
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Here's a question I'm interested in posing to you guys: What do you do when people insist that there is no need for feminism anymore?

I've gotten in many debates with people where I've given multiple reasons why women and girls are still treated unfairly (some of which I've personally experienced first-hand), and people are so quick to invalidate my experience and just insist time and time again that I'm wrong and that everything I bring up is either exaggerated or incorrect.

Has this happened to you? How do you combat it? Or do you just let it go?

I often just get so incredibly frustrated and sad that I just end the discussion. :(

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm just gonna take the old advice and say, "if you ain't got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing". That's the rule of this thread, apparently.

But let me just say that the "sexism in this fandom" comments are inaccurate as f*ck.

Maybe back then, from the old 4chan days, where the birthplace of bronydom was littered with dark stains, but definitely not now, and its annoying that people still insist it's rampant.

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 2

Here's a question I'm interested in posing to you guys: What do you do when people insist that there is no need for feminism anymore?

I've gotten in many debates with people where I've given multiple reasons why women and girls are still treated unfairly (some of which I've personally experienced first-hand), and people are so quick to invalidate my experience and just insist time and time again that I'm wrong and that everything I bring up is either exaggerated or incorrect.

Has this happened to you? How do you combat it? Or do you just let it go?

I often just get so incredibly frustrated and sad that I just end the discussion. :(

Well, I really haven't encountered that resistance myself, but the best I could do is just counter what they say with what I know.

Either they accept or they don't. If people refuse to even consider the possibilities, then there isn't much else I can do for them. We can't win against such stubbornness. :(

• Brohoof 1

Eh... I guess I am kinda pro-girl. Go girls! Woo!

But... I really don't support the recent studies that say that lesbian couples can make false sperm with bone marrow to procreate. And that these procreated babies will always be female. Scientists are hopping all over it saying "HA HA! MEN ARE USELESS!" but I just wanted to ask you guys...

Do you want us as women to be equal... or do you want us to be better then men? Because If it's equal, I'd consider myself feminist, but if feminists are out to prove men are useless pigs, and that they are inferior... count me out

(And if you're worried about a female civil war, the government declared the bone marrow thing unethical and wrong, since it often makes deformed children)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm just gonna take the old advice and say, "if you ain't got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing". That's the rule of this thread, apparently.

But let me just say that the "sexism in this fandom" comments are inaccurate as f*ck.

Maybe back then, from the old 4chan days, where the birthplace of bronydom was littered with dark stains, but definitely not now, and its annoying that people still insist it's rampant.

Obviously the fandom at large is accepting and loving. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't. But there's still problems. Unfortunately in a male-dominated fandom, female fans can easily get alienated or silenced. I can't tell you a single time I've tried to focus a discussion on women's issues on these forums and not received at least three responses (at the minimum) saying I was whining or being illogical. Many people in this fandom are SO QUICK so be like "omg stop talking about women's experiences you social justice misandrist femi-nazi!!!!" Seriously, it's something I noticed right away. I got a bunch of backlash once just for saying something as simple as "I like MLP because it's nice to see strong female characters in the spotlight for once."

Sexism manifests in many ways, and sexism is not always obvious to everyone. Sexist people don't wear t-shirts that say "I'M A SEXIST!" while twirling their devilish mustaches and cackling to themselves. Sometimes sexism is hidden in jokes. Sometimes sexism is hidden in the way someone addresses a woman or they way they treat a woman who dares to speak their mind. Sometimes good people are unintentionally sexist. Sometimes sexism affects people in different ways and in different amounts. It's not always overt. It's not always in your face.

Remember - you not personally experiencing sexism at this point in time doesn't mean sexism is no longer a problem.

And as previously stated, this forum is not a place to debate whether sexism exists or not. Sorry, but I don't really care if anyone thinks it doesn't exist because I know that it does exist. In this thread, that point is not up for discussion any longer. If you would like to argue this point, please direct your comments to the debate pit. Thanks.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 2