Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Feminist Club!

Jennabun

I'm just gonna take the old advice and say, "if you ain't got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing". That's the rule of this thread, apparently.

But let me just say that the "sexism in this fandom" comments are inaccurate as f*ck.

Maybe back then, from the old 4chan days, where the birthplace of bronydom was littered with dark stains, but definitely not now, and its annoying that people still insist it's rampant.

I still go through sexism in the Fandom. People have literally told me that I'm not a brony because I was a girl and the show is not a "male" show and I am not to participate in it. This year, around February if I recall.

A male brony was chatting with me and said, "Yeah you're not a brony, you're a pegasister." When I told him I hate the term, he rolled his eyes. "Just accept the name. You're a girl and that's what the female brony is called."

That was in May.

• Brohoof 4

Eh... I guess I am kinda pro-girl. Go girls! Woo!

But... I really don't support the recent studies that say that lesbian couples can make false sperm with bone marrow to procreate. And that these procreated babies will always be female. Scientists are hopping all over it saying "HA HA! MEN ARE USELESS!" but I just wanted to ask you guys...

Do you want us as women to be equal... or do you want us to be better then men? Because If it's equal, I'd consider myself feminist, but if feminists are out to prove men are useless pigs, and that they are inferior... count me out

(And if you're worried about a female civil war, the government declared the bone marrow thing unethical and wrong, since it often makes deformed children)

I feel like if they did find a way that two women could make babies safely, I'd be down. Just like I'd be down if they found a way to have two men create babies. The queer advocate in me would be really happy for same-sex couples being able to make biological children. It would be so cool! I don't see it as a way to make men nonexistent - men don't only exist for reproduction anyway. Seeing them as only good for their sperm isn't accurate at all. Men are people with skills and feelings and they are good for society. Plus, there are still straight women who would choose to reproduce with men anyway. I don't feel like egg-egg reproduction would really affect anything at all besides giving lesbians some different options for having kids.

And I just addressed the thing about "do we want to be better than men?" earlier today. Please read the last few posts. :)

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Obviously the fandom at large is accepting and loving. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't. But there's still problems. Unfortunately in a male-dominated fandom, female fans can easily get alienated or silenced. I can't tell you a single time I've tried to focus a discussion on women's issues on these forums and not received at least three responses (at the minimum) saying I was whining or being illogical. Many people in this fandom are SO QUICK so be like "omg stop talking about women's experiences you social justice misandrist femi-nazi!!!!" Seriously, it's something I noticed right away. I got a bunch of backlash once just for saying something as simple as "I like MLP because it's nice to see strong female characters in the spotlight for once."

Sexism manifests in many ways, and sexism is not always obvious to everyone. Sexist people don't wear t-shirts that say "I'M A SEXIST!" while twirling their devilish mustaches and cackling to themselves. Sometimes sexism is hidden in jokes. Sometimes sexism is hidden in the way someone addresses a woman or they way they treat a woman who dares to speak their mind. Sometimes good people are unintentionally sexist. Sometimes sexism affects people in different ways and in different amounts. It's not always overt. It's not always in your face.

Remember - you not personally experiencing sexism at this point in time doesn't mean sexism is no longer a problem.

And as previously stated, this forum is not a place to debate whether sexism exists or not. Sorry, but I don't really care if anyone thinks it doesn't exist because I know that it does exist. In this thread, that point is not up for discussion any longer. If you would like to argue this point, please direct your comments to the debate pit. Thanks.

*pulls teeth out*

Threads like these are one big 'ol circle-jerk of agreement, and the participants actively shun those who disagree with the topic at hand.

It brings nothing to the table but blank faces and nodding heads.

I could pick apart your wall of text. I could literally tell you everything you did wrong in past posts that earned you the SJW label.

It wouldn't be hard.

But I'll let you get on with your thread.

Feminism doesn't bother me.

Does your conscious bother you?

I still go through sexism in the Fandom. People have literally told me that I'm not a brony because I was a girl and the show is not a "male" show and I am not to participate in it. This year, around February if I recall.

A male brony was chatting with me and said, "Yeah you're not a brony, you're a pegasister." When I told him I hate the term, he rolled his eyes. "Just accept the name. You're a girl and that's what the female brony is called."

That was in May.

There's a giant difference between sexism and gender inequality

They are not the same thing

Both are bad. But one is worse and more severe.

Edited by Dattebayo

(edited)

*pulls teeth out*

Threads like these are one big 'ol circle-jerk of agreement, and the participants actively shun those who disagree with the topic at hand.

I could pick apart your wall of text. I could literally tell you everything you did wrong in past posts that earned you the SJW label.

It wouldn't be hard.

I'm sorry you feel this way, friend.

If you want to debate feminism, here are two topics I recommemd:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/103064-feminism-how-do-you-feel-about-it/

http://mlpforums.com/topic/100982-third-wave-feminism/

I just want to discuss feminism peacefully with other supporters, so my conscious feels fine.

Edited by Destiny
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

*pulls teeth out*

It wouldn't be hard.

I don't see anything wrong with seeking out like-minded people to befriend and discuss things with, so.... byyyyye! :)

It makes me really sad that I just wanted to start a nice thread that didn't have to stress me out and be a huge debate, and yet here we are. *sigh* Hopefully we can get back on track. I'm sorry y'all. Trying to keep it positive here. <3

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 1

Hey girls, out of curiosity, what's your take on 'Labels Against Women'? Does the bulk of you believe that you're viewed more negatively than men in identical situations?

P.S. Although my take on the movement may seem sceptical, please keep in mind that I'm not an anti-feminist. My only concern is that Pantene is after money more than it's after equality.

• Brohoof 1

Hey girls, out of curiosity, what's your take on 'Labels Against Women'? Does the bulk of you believe that you're viewed more negatively than men in identical situations?

I really liked the campaign and agreed with a lot of it, but I completely think it's just a publicity stunt for money.

I mean, I would argue that this type of advertising is probably preferable to most other cliche hair care advertisements, but at the end of the day, it is what it is: an advertisement. They're trying to sell a product. Do they actually care about women and how they're viewed in society? Maybe, but probably not - they just want to sell the shampoo. Women are a customer base to them, that's all.

I appreciated it for what it was, but I certainly didn't run out and buy Pantene after watching it. Same with Dove ads. :/

If this was a campaign ran by a non-profit organization, that would be a different story.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what form of feminism. As long as it's not the militant style where men and women are equals, but men still have to treat women better, I'm on board.

I believe that couples should do nice things for each other because they WANT to. If someone isn't ready to do nice things for their significant other, then they simply aren't ready for a relationship. This includes sometimes paying for your date's meal, holding the door open, etc.

I do have a habit of being the "nice guy" and if I had a date, I would probably put my date's experience over my own, and I don't see anything wrong with that. But it shouldn't be relied upon, or demanded.

If I was married to someone, here's how I would handle the work/home situation. If my wife wants to stay home and take care of the kids, more power to her. If she wants to work to increase our income, more power to her, babysitters and daycare centers exist for a reason. When I get out of work, my day doesn't end just because my paying job ends. I think both the husband and wife should both take care of housework that needs to be done, and spend some time with the kids.

The only part of the equation I'm having trouble with, is that both the husband and wife deserve some me time, but there should also be some romantic time, and kid time seems to take up 99% of the time in a day @.@

• Brohoof 2

Yay! I'm glad we finally got a topic on this... As everything else about feminism on this forum always seems to be criticizing of it. Yet in this topic we get criticized for circlejerking. >.>

Tumblr can especially be good for insectional feminism: feminism that encompasses racial issues, sexual orientation issues, disability issues, etc... I've learned a lot from Tumblr; it all depends on how you weild it :)

And it's funny, because of all of the feminism blogs I have ever encountered on Tumblr they are ALL like that.

• Brohoof 5

And it's funny, because of all of the feminism blogs I have ever encountered on Tumblr they are ALL like that.

You're very sheltered, aren't you?

Tumblr feminists have a rather annoying tendency to be a royal pain.

"You can't be transphobic against trans men"

"Any heterosexual sex is rape and furthering the patriarchy"

"Calling the Joker insane is ableism"

"Making a character have sallow skin is racist"

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Here's a question I'm interested in posing to you guys: What do you do when people insist that there is no need for feminism anymore?

I've gotten in many debates with people where I've given multiple reasons why women and girls are still treated unfairly (some of which I've personally experienced first-hand), and people are so quick to invalidate my experience and just insist time and time again that I'm wrong and that everything I bring up is either exaggerated or incorrect.

Has this happened to you? How do you combat it? Or do you just let it go?

I often just get so incredibly frustrated and sad that I just end the discussion. :(

Good question. I think there is still a need for something like feminism, but should cover all of the people who suffer from discrimination, but nobody in particular. Discrimination has a large impact on women, but is not an issue exclusive to women. Overall, there needs to be further education on gender/racial/sexual equality. We cannot settle for anything less, as long as we have stereotypes, there is so much room open for ignorance, which leads to hate, which leads to crime/war.

I think one of the reasons the New Age stuff is so popular is because it gives people what they're looking for, equality. Everyone is one in spirit, and part of something greater. Not saying that's the only reason of course, but it's one of the major deciding factors for many people.

Edited by Captain Teemo
  • Brohoof 2

You're very sheltered, aren't you? Tumblr feminists have a rather annoying tendency to be a royal pain. "You can't be transphobic against trans men" "Any heterosexual sex is rape and furthering the patriarchy" "Calling the Joker insane is ableism" "Making a character have sallow skin is racist"

We must just have different tumblr experiences, which is completely possible. I'm sorry you've been exposed to that crap. :( There's definitely some weeeeeeeird varieties of feminism out there on the internet. Unfortunately that's the only exposure some people have to feminism, which gives the movement as a whole a bad name.... it sucks.

I've seen a few "feminist" blogs like that, but in my experience at least, most of the time those bloggers get bombarded with other feminists putting them in check. All of the feminist blogs I follow would never ever say things like what you mentioned - I would run far, far away if they did lol.  I should take this time to clarify that technically I might be considered a "tumblr feminist" too, as I am a feminist and I happen to have a tumblr, but I'm not about that bullshit. Noooo way.

I understand people wanting to stay away from tumblr purely because of some of the extremists though. They can certainly sour what otherwise would be a great experience. Thankfully, I just haven't run into much of it yet.... thank god.

• Brohoof 1

We must just have different tumblr experiences, which is completely possible. I'm sorry you've been exposed to that crap. :( There's definitely some weeeeeeeird varieties of feminism out there on the internet. Unfortunately that's the only exposure some people have to feminism, which gives the movement as a whole a bad name.... it sucks.

I've seen a few "feminist" blogs like that, but in my experience at least, most of the time those bloggers get bombarded with other feminists putting them in check. All of the feminist blogs I follow would never ever say things like what you mentioned - I would run far, far away if they did lol.  I should take this time to clarify that technically I might be considered a "tumblr feminist" too, as I am a feminist and I happen to have a tumblr, but I'm not about that bullshit. Noooo way.

I understand people wanting to stay away from tumblr purely because of some of the extremists though. They can certainly sour what otherwise would be a great experience. Thankfully, I just haven't run into much of it yet.... thank god.

You aren't a Tumblr Feminist. I mean, you use Tumblr and are a feminist. But a Tumblr feminist is a term used for the insecure girls who think that they are fairies

And usually, it's the anti feminist blogs clashing with these, from my experience

• Brohoof 2

the problem is that now tumblr has tainted the good name of feminism, and now feminism means hating on white straigth people, and "reverse discrimination" (complete crap).

to me, i feel like we dont need feminism as much as we need egalitarism, at this point i feel like the discrimination that women suffer right now are part of a far bigger picture, as this discriminations go to males too, like "you arent a man if you cry" or "men are suppose to be strong" or "if you hit your wife (even in self defense) you are a wife beater, but if you let her hit you then you are a pussy (also want to add that 40% victims of domestic violence are males) and the worst one "its only rape if a male does it".

• Brohoof 3

Well, I'm always down for a good discussion on improving social issues. 

- When and why did you become a feminist?

Sometime in my mid-teen years, I think it was in response to seeing the way women tended to be represented in media and the implications that has for real life. 

- Why do you think feminism is still relevant to today's world?

Mostly because women still face inequality. We've come a long way, but there are still gender inequality problems all over the world. The issues are more severe in some places than others, such as women being unable to drive, requiring a male guardian, FGM, the list could go on. I think that there's still work to be done in the west too, more so in changing the way women and femininity are perceived. 

- What is difficult about being a feminist in general?

Well, on one side, the title has a stigma to those outside of the movement. Not everyone gets what feminism is about. On the flip side, the movement also has a lot of toxic ideas that I'm hesitant to associate myself with. So, I suppose it's finding how best to support feminism without getting dragged into the toxicity. 

- How does MLP support your feminist values?

Positive female representation in a cartoon. There honestly aren't a lot of good female-centric animated television shows, so I'm glad MLP exists to fill that gap. It shows that there isn't a right way to be a girl, and doesn't play into stereotypes, which I can appreciate.

- How do people react when you say you're a feminist?

Usually positively, though I'm usually careful about who I discuss it with. I could stand to talk about it more. 

- What is awesome about being a feminist?

Getting to help make the world better. 

- How has feminism affected you personally?

Had feminism never happened, I wouldn't be able to vote this year. I also wouldn't have the educational and career opportunities that I do. I'd probably be expected to get married and have children, instead of having a choice on whether or not I want those. I imagine had feminism never existed, I'd get less respect from both men and women on virtue of my gender. I also imagine that the world would be different had women never gotten more opportunity and been able to contribute to the society I live in. That would indirectly affect me in countless ways. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I agree with complete equality, except in the field of abortion. Understandably, I think the pregnant should be the one with the right to abort.

Here's the problem. Feminism is defined incorrectly here. It's actually a movement that will flip historical masculinism on it's head. It's that, just for women.

That is why feminism is a terrible thing, but better than history's treatment of the genders still. But according to the "definition" I agree with extremely unradical feminists.

In other words, I support feminism until the balance becomes re-broken.

Edited by Twilly F. Sniper

(edited)

the problem is that now tumblr has tainted the good name of feminism, and now feminism means hating on white straigth people, and "reverse discrimination" (complete crap).

to me, i feel like we dont need feminism as much as we need egalitarism, at this point i feel like the discrimination that women suffer right now are part of a far bigger picture, as this discriminations go to males too, like "you arent a man if you cry" or "men are suppose to be strong" or "if you hit your wife (even in self defense) you are a wife beater, but if you let her hit you then you are a pussy (also want to add that 40% victims of domestic violence are males) and the worst one "its only rape if a male does it".

The thing is oppression isn't a zero-sum game. It's not like me being a feminist means I believe 100% of oppression happens to women. Feminism is not the only identity a person can have, and feminists are allowed to care about a multitude of issues. Yeah, I'm a feminist... does that mean I can't care about racism? homophobia? transphobia? Heck no. I care for all types of groups who are treated unfairly. It doesn't mean I'm less of a feminist. In fact, the latest wave of the feminist movement is pretty intersectional, taking into consideration the needs of not only white middle-class women, but people of all type of backgrounds and circumstances as well.

And I don't know where people get the idea that feminism don't care about the troubles that men face... that is so untrue. Feminism rocks because it eliminates a lot of problems for men too, not just women. Patriarchal systems of oppressions ironically do a lot of harm to men, and I, along with most feminists, do not support that. We want a better life and future for our men and boys.

Here's a quote I've said about how feminism actively helps men on another thread:

Let me be clear: Bringing awareness to the oppression of one group is not an act of hatred against other groups. It merely allows for issues to be brought out of the shadows, validated by a political movement, and then mobilized for change.

And the changes the feminists advocate would actually create a positive change for men in society. [...]

This is one of my favorite quotes about men & feminism:

"The thing is, it's the patriarchy that says men are stupid and monolithic and unchanging and incapable. It's patriarchy that says men have animalistic instincts and just can't stop themselves from harassing and assaulting. It's patriarchy that says men can only be attracted by certain qualities, can only have particular kinds of responses, can only experience the world in narrow ways. Feminism holds that men are capable of more - are more than that."

It's just so true. In the status quo, there are so many bullshit myths about what it means to be a man, and a lot of these myths are inaccurate at best and downright harmful at worst. Feminism acts to debunk these myths and allow for a more healthy expression of masculinity.

Feminists are the ones who say that men are smart enough to be in charge of their bodies. It's feminists that tell men that they are not, by nature, rapists and murderers. Feminists tell men that they are better that that, and that men who use their power to abuse women ought to be held accountable for being awful people and giving masculinity a bad name.

Feminists are the ones that want male victims to sexual assault and domestic violence to be treated fairly. It is feminists who are trying to say that men are not inherently the 'stronger' gender and that they can be victims too. It is feminists who say that women are just as capable of violence as men are, and due to gendered stereotypes, do not receive their just punishment. Feminists want to protect men and boys from destructive myths such as "Men always want sex so they can't be raped!" or "Men are too strong to be emotionally manipulated and verbally abused!" It is the patriarchy that perpetuates these myths, and feminists believe they are bullshit. We want men who have been abused to seek the help they need and then be taken seriously in their claims.

Feminists value all body types and races of women, wanting all types of women to be represented in portrayed in a positive light. This way, men can feel more free when choosing a romantic or sexual partner. Men shouldn't feel pressured by society to go for the hottest, thinnest girl in order to avoid being ridiculed and demeaned by other men. Furthermore, feminists also often fight for the rights of the queer community, helping gay and bisexual men be more accepted by the world at large. It's the feminists that say any kind of love is okay - it doesn't matter what gender, skin color, body type, or anything else.

Feminists take a firm stance against gendered stereotypes that lead to the bullying of boys. As many of you all have pointed out, right now, a boy can still be harassed for wearing pink, playing with dolls or ponies or make-up, or by simply acting more feminine. Meanwhile, girls can choose to be more girly or more on the tomboy side. This because it is still seen as better to be masculine than to be feminine. Society encourages masculine personality traits and discourages feminine personality traits, a practice which feminists fight consistently. We want boys to have just as much choice in their development as girls have. We also want men to know that's it's okay to have a traditionally feminine role in adulthood (stay at home dad, nurse, elementary school teacher, fashion designer, etc). It's feminists who tell men, "There's more than one way to be a dude, more than one way for men to have a gender expression... and that's good!"

It's feminists that want more women in traditionally "boys club" type of professions. It's feminists who say the idea that only men can run a country, be a CEO of a business, be a cop, be a firefighter, be a construction worker, etc. is complete and utter crap. It's feminists who want to take the pressure off of men, to not leave all the important decisions to men, to not leave all the grunt work to men. We want to be there too, beside you, helping you out.

It s the feminists who tell men that they are not animalistic beings who constantly need to have sex. It's feminists that tell men that yes, it's okay to be a man who's a virgin. They tell men that yes, there's nothing wrong with them for not having kissed a girl or for not having a girlfriend. Feminists do not want men's and boys' value to be determined by how many women they have managed to get with. Not only does that notion objectify women, but it shames men when they do not adhere to that masculine ideal.

It is the feminists who say it is NOT okay for people of ANY gender to call men faggots, pussies, wimps, or crybabies simply for being a human and showing emotion. We think the stereotype that men always have to be stoic and strong is harmful, and we want men to have the freedom to just be people.

Men have been hurt by the traditional gender stereotypes and gender roles. Society tries to fit men into these boxes from the time they are born to the time they die. Men are constantly told that you have to a certain way to be a "real man." That's not okay. Feminists act to deconstruct these stereotypes, not only because gender stereotypes oppress women, but because gender stereotypes are harmful toward men too.

[...]  I mean, aren't traditional gender roles the reason why bronies get so much crap? Because bronies dare to cross over the gender threshold and like a show that is feminine in nature? You don't think that's right, do you?

That's a big reason why we still need feminism, why men need feminism. Because these expectations hurt us all. We need to show the world that there's nothing shameful about being feminine, and that masculinity does not have to be expressed in tough, violent, and scary ways.

- How does MLP support your feminist values? Positive female representation in a cartoon. There honestly aren't a lot of good female-centric animated television shows, so I'm glad MLP exists to fill that gap. It shows that there isn't a right way to be a girl, and doesn't play into stereotypes, which I can appreciate.

I just want to say that I completely agree with this. One of the main reasons MLP attracted me as a viewer is because the variety of positive portrayals of females the show has. It totally amazes me - a lot of cartoons tend to stick of the mundane, sexist stereotypes in order to be humorous. MLP is totally different. YAY :)

Here's the problem. Feminism is defined incorrectly here. It's actually a movement that will flip historical masculinism on it's head. It's that, just for women.

That is why feminism is a terrible thing, but better than history's treatment of the genders still.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but I don't really think this kind of thing belongs on this thread. Please refer to the rules. We're not looking for a debate. Thanks.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 3

i still believe that at that point feminism becomes more egalitarism, when it dedicates to both problems, since the foudation of feminism was firstly for men.

but i feel thats just more on a technical level more, and its not like it matters much right?

but the problem is, modern feminism is being tainted by the radicals one, nowadays feminism is associated with the type of of women that blames everything on men, believe there is a "rape culture" in a first world country (yeah, a first world one, not even a third world) and say all white straigh cis males are the same.

which is why im saying that the feminism that looks to aid all genders should move to egalitarism.

• Brohoof 1

You're very sheltered, aren't you?

Tumblr feminists have a rather annoying tendency to be a royal pain.

"You can't be transphobic against trans men"

"Any heterosexual sex is rape and furthering the patriarchy"

"Calling the Joker insane is ableism"

"Making a character have sallow skin is racist"

I follow many feminist Tumblrs and have seen many more, and I have never seen even a remote sign of anything you have mentioned above. So, really, I find it very strange that you think that's what defines a 'Tumblr feminist'.

To me, that's equivalent to seeing that one Tumblr blog that says that MLP:FiM is misandry and from that claiming that all Tumblr MLP posters are sexist and will not let woman/girls have anything for themselves.

and from that claiming that all Tumblr MLP posters are sexist and will not let woman/girls have anything for themselves.

you mean people like dragondicks and pinkiepony?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have no idea who pinkiepony is, and could not find them, but I just looked through a few pages of the first Tumblr's mentioned's posts and I have no idea how you are linking them to the "MLP is misandry" nonsense I was mentioning. Obviously, I haven't seen the majority of their Tumblr, but they seem to be on the opposite side of that.

I'll say, I'm not an avid follower of MLP blogs on Tumblr, the comparison I made above was just one of common sense.

Edited by Envy

I don't think pinkiepony is a radical feminist, personally.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
but the problem is, modern feminism is being tainted by the radicals one, nowadays feminism is associated with the type of of women that blames everything on men, believe there is a "rape culture" in a first world country (yeah, a first world one, not even a third world) and say all white straigh cis males are the same.

Believing that there is rape culture in America isn't a radical notion, especially since recent data shows that anywhere between 15-20% of American women are raped. The statistics are even worse for some minority women. For example, Native American women are twice as likely to be raped than a white woman. There's also studies on queer women coming out that say more than 40% of bisexual women get raped during their life and the majority of trans women get raped during their life. There's crazy powers of misogyny, racism, and homophobia at work when it comes to rape. Feminists ought to take that into account. I see nothing wrong with there being discussions about rape culture in the feminist sphere.

Definitely not saying that we're worse off than third world countries, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be upset about it. There's certainly some sort of issue and there's nothing shameful or "radical" in wanting it remedied. Nobody deserved to be sexually assaulted -- ever.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 3