Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn Magic different thing from Unicorn magic?

Zoraxe

I think Alicorn magic is a special form of magic connected with an alicorn's special talent. This would explain why Chrysalis could beat Celestia, but lose to Cadence. Celestia was using unicorn magic, but Cadence hit her with the raw power of her Alicorn magic. It would also explain why Twilight hasn't gotten significantly better at her magical abilities; she still hasn't figured out her alicorn talent.

• 1 month later...

I think Alicorn magic is a special form of magic connected with an alicorn's special talent. This would explain why Chrysalis could beat Celestia, but lose to Cadence. Celestia was using unicorn magic, but Cadence hit her with the raw power of her Alicorn magic. It would also explain why Twilight hasn't gotten significantly better at her magical abilities; she still hasn't figured out her alicorn talent.

What about this theory, that Alicorn magic and Cutie mark magic is the same magic. So 'Cutie Mark' magic is the cause of alicorn magic, seperate from earth pony magic, pegasi magic, and unicorn magic, etc. And different for each Alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

I've been thinking about this a bit, and honestly, it seems to me that Alicorns have two different reserves of magic; normal,"unicorn" magic used for things like teleporting and firing magical blasts, and a stronger, immeasurably more powerful "Alicorn" magic that can only be used in direct relation to their special talent, like raising the sun and the moon. This would explain why Celestia hasn't proven to be much stronger than Twilight or Sunset Shimmer; she has unimaginable power, but it's only usable under one very specific circumstance. This would prevent Alicorns from abusing their power with other nations, causing a need for diplomacy. It would also explain why our goddesses need simple pony bodyguards.

FALSE

Alicorn magic is not solely related to an alicorn's special talent, like raising the sun or moon. Why? Because the Journal of the Two sister showed that regular unicorns could also do the same. (just having to raise it with greater numbers) So that wouldn't be considered alicorn magic, if any magic user could do it.

What the Journal of the Two Sisters does reveal about alicorn magic, however, is that it's exponentially more powerful than standard unicorn magic, and that (in Luna and Celestia's case) using their alicorn magic to raise the sun and moon each day rejuvenating their powers, making them that much more powerful, whereas with unicorns, raising the sun and moon every day would eventually- after a short period of time- deplete their magic forever.

FALSE

Alicorn magic is not solely related to an alicorn's special talent, like raising the sun or moon. Why? Because the Journal of the Two sister showed that regular unicorns could also do the same. (just having to raise it with greater numbers) So that wouldn't be considered alicorn magic, if any magic user could do it.

What the Journal of the Two Sisters does reveal about alicorn magic, however, is that it's exponentially more powerful than standard unicorn magic, and that (in Luna and Celestia's case) using their alicorn magic to raise the sun and moon each day rejuvenating their powers, making them that much more powerful, whereas with unicorns, raising the sun and moon every day would eventually- after a short period of time- deplete their magic forever.

It was really early when I made this post.

Just thinking about it, even the show proves it false. Celestia raised the moon in Luna's absence, and Luna raises the sun in the comics. Of course, it makes me wonder; are all Alicorns capable of controlling each other's talents? Would Twilight be able to take over Cadence's love magic? Interesting...

Edited by Shimmer5000
  • Brohoof 1

@, Just because your special talent is something, doesn't mean you are the only one who can do it. It just means that it probably comes easier for Celestia to raise the sun than for others and that she gains power from the sun rather than loosing it. Its likely harder for Celestia to raise the moon but easier for Luna.

Also, Discord was to able to usurp controll of the sun and moon pretty easily, and since we know unicorns once did what Celestia and Luna did (even though it drained them, which explains the bags under their eyes in the play). I'm assuming something would take controll of the sun if Celestia wasn't there.

It makes me wonder what controlled the Sun and Moon before the period of the three tribes, because it doesn't seem likely that the Unicorns could have controlled the Sun and Moon for a long time if they got drained like that, so maybe Alicorns are the natural celestial object movers. There is mention of an Alicorn tribe, maybe it was their job to move the celestial objects before the unicorns did.

@, Just because your special talent is something, doesn't mean you are the only one who can do it. It just means that it probably comes easier for Celestia to raise the sun than for others and that she gains power from the sun rather than loosing it. Its likely harder for Celestia to raise the moon but easier for Luna.

Also, Discord was to able to usurp controll of the sun and moon pretty easily, and since we know unicorns once did what Celestia and Luna did (even though it drained them, which explains the bags under their eyes in the play). I'm assuming something would take controll of the sun if Celestia wasn't there.

It makes me wonder what controlled the Sun and Moon before the period of the three tribes, because it doesn't seem likely that the Unicorns could have controlled the Sun and Moon for a long time if they got drained like that, so maybe Alicorns are the natural celestial object movers. There is mention of an Alicorn tribe, maybe it was their job to move the celestial objects before the unicorns did.

Yeah, I was affirming that; Celestia, had to raise the moon in Luna's absence.

That's an interesting question, by the way. I feel like going farther and saying that the alicorn tribes may have created the sun and moon. It seems odd to just have celestial bodies that don't rotate naturally. If it was based on a natural event, they more than likely would have died out before they could adapt. After they disapeared/died out, the unicorns took over, but they couldn't replicate it perfectly because it wasn't their talent.