Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fractured

In the often bright and happy world of Equestria, there are a few... ponies that have had terrible lives through their actions or the actions of others. My question is, who is the most tragic, in your opinion? I picked my top character, but these are just off the top of my head, feel free to add your own. First we have:

Sunset Shimmer. Surprising, isn't it? Sunset Shimmer is an unrepentant villain. From the start she had no friends, because she thought power was all that mattered. So why is she on this list? In a word:fate. Sunset Shimmer is the not-Twilight, with the same destiny; to be Celestia's heir, and, eventually, an alicorn princess. She had the same attitude as Twilight too. neither of them sought friendship, one sought knowledge, the other, power. Ultimately, there was one key difference that separated the two: Celestia. She failed to impress on Sunset Shimmer the magic of friendship, and through that failure, she learned. It was because of this that she told a young filly to "get out of those dusty books", and sent her to Ponyville, where she met the friends that changed her life. It was Sunset Shimmer's destiny, on the other hand, that led her to look through a magic mirror and see the power that Celestia would never give her. She was eventually defeated, dethroned by a pony just like her wielding a power she couldn't understand, in a manner similar to Celestia's defeat of Nightmare Moon. Unlike Luna, however, Sunset Shimmer now has no destiny; she has lost the power she sought after, and even though she has learned the magic of friendship, she has lost the chance to be princess. She is, in a word, a shadow of her shadow. Sunset Shimmer may not be a sob story, but she has no purpose in a world where destiny is everything. She was also replaced by a pony that is a mirror of herself, one that became powerful through lucking into a different destiny.Though I don't condone her actions personally, Sunset Shimmer is most definitely a tragic figure.

So, what do you guys think? Who is most tragic pony? Comments below!

• Brohoof 2

From the end of the Reflections arc, Sombra, mang. While I wasn't mad at that ending, it did raise a rather interesting question: 

If Sombra is good, Celestia and Luna are evil. So, does that mean Sombra is the only thing keeping the world unbalanced? Does this mean Sombra is doomed for ALL realities, or this one only?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Applejack, as her parents have not appeared in any episode, nor were they made apparent during the Apple Family Reunion. This opens the possibilities that they have either left or passed on.

I found this as well:

Parents

The whereabouts of Applejack's parents are touched on in the episode Apple Family Reunion. At the end of the episode, the shot fades to a view of Sweet Apple Acres as two shooting stars fly through the sky. The shooting stars are meant to represent Applejack's parents according to storyboard artist Sabrina Alberghetti.[4]Lauren Faust had previously mentioned that the whereabouts of Applejack's parents has not been planned, and that the show is unlikely to mention that they've passed away.[5] Faust stated she wanted that to be the case.[6] - mlp.wikia

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Family_and_relatives

Edited by Science Advocate
  • Brohoof 4

Diamond Tiara. She has so much potential to be a great kid character, and to really make a sympethetic bully. She has shown that she can learn from her mistakes, and really all it would take is some minor clever writing and she could become a great character.

As for villains, most of the ones in show (other than the one off smaller s-1 atagonists) are not very tragic, as they are more evil that dark vader blowing up the child orphange planet.

(edited)

Princess Celestia. She has had to fight her own sister before (Nightmare Moon), and imprison her on the moon for 1000 years. Also, living for 1000 years would more than likely drive anypony crazy. Sunbutt tries her hardest to rule Equestria fairly yet she's labeled as an insane molester, who shoots ponies to the moon via cannon. 

It's so tragic!

Sad_pony.jpg

(On a series note, I'd probably say Trixie. I feel kind of bad for her. She tries way too hard, and I think at heart she is a nice pony. She just tries to act cool in front of everypony else.)

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 2

I would say Fluttershy. Not only was she pushed around and bullied by other pegasai growing up, I'd argue she's the most mysterious of the Mane 6. Her shy nature allows for many speculations and mysteries to her character like The Stare's origins, or her family.

Princess Luna, obviously. She has the darkest backstory out of all the characters, even though she was just recently redeemed. Idk how you can compete with being banished for 1000 years.

totally not biased or anything...

• Brohoof 1

Diamond Tiara. She has so much potential to be a great kid character, and to really make a sympethetic bully. She has shown that she can learn from her mistakes, and really all it would take is some minor clever writing and she could become a great character.

As for villains, most of the ones in show (other than the one off smaller s-1 atagonists) are not very tragic, as they are more evil that dark vader blowing up the child orphange planet.

I, too, have particular sympathy for characters that were forced into unpleasant roles with no explanation. If this were the rugrats world or Sabrina, I wouldn't particularly care about DT, but the nature of most of the characters in MLP leaves me going "wth?" when it comes to her.

• Brohoof 2

Applejack, as her parents have not appeared in any episode, nor were they made apparent during the Apple Family Reunion. This opens the possibilities that they have either left or passed on.

I found this as well:

Parents

The whereabouts of Applejack's parents are touched on in the episode Apple Family Reunion. At the end of the episode, the shot fades to a view of Sweet Apple Acres as two shooting stars fly through the sky. The shooting stars are meant to represent Applejack's parents according to storyboard artist Sabrina Alberghetti.[4]Lauren Faust had previously mentioned that the whereabouts of Applejack's parents has not been planned, and that the show is unlikely to mention that they've passed away.[5] Faust stated she wanted that to be the case.[6] - mlp.wikia

This ... a thousand times this. Until shown otherwise I agree that Applejack's parents have passed away. That make her the most tragic figure in the show by a mile, even more so when you take into account how family focused she is. Runner up would be Celestia for me. She was forced to banish her sister for 1000 years. I can't imagine the loneliness and guilt she bore from having to do that. PTS Part 2 highlighted this with her tears. 

... you know ... for kids. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Sunset Shimmer. What's more tragic than being the villain of EQG?

Being forced to know that even though you would've been an awesome hero and villain, the creator herself not only hand-picked you for this role, but also removed any chance of you being in the show because of it... then decided that, screw it, EQG isn't canon at all.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I found this as well:

Parents

This ... a thousand times this. Until shown otherwise I agree that Applejack's parents have passed away. That make her the most tragic figure in the show by a mile, even more so when you take into account how family focused she is. Runner up would be Celestia for me. She was forced to banish her sister for 1000 years. I can't imagine the loneliness and guilt she bore from having to do that. PTS Part 2 highlighted this with her tears. 

... you know ... for kids. ;)

I came here to nominate AJ and Celestia also, thankfully you guys have already eloquently explained the reasoning I was about to try and express myself :)

Edited by Guest

personally I would say my OC check his backstory he is in my signature

but from the show I would say Luna getting banished for 1000 years when she returns she still deals with the same problem from the beginning of the story only now she can some how go into people's dreams but she doesn't seem bothered that ponies shun the night this time

Add to the Celestia sob story if you follow the comics: 

She has lived to see many of her closet friends pass away as well as when she allowed her grief to get the better of her she put her world and her lovers world into jeopardy only to not be able to make amends to the teacher who was like her father and the stallion who held her heart for so many years due to her destiny and lot in life.

While I pitey Luna, I feel her issues were mostly self-inflicted, while that doesn't make her not tragic, those whose pain that is not caused by themselves but circumstance to me is far more tragic.

As for someone new: Trixie

Honestly this poor mare can't catch a break, between being humiliated for doing her talent and having her livelihood destroyed she as rightfully angry and her revenge was well deserved only to have it all blow up in her face. Add to that the recent comic, I feel Trixie's life has been filled with pain that she never deserved and was delt out to her because ponies were to judgement and bigoted to magic to stop the hate train.  

Sunset Shimmer. What's more tragic than being the villain of EQG?

OK.  Second most tragic -- Mr. Pills wins again; Fluttershy -- at least according to my headcannon.  She's been abused from the get-go.

• Brohoof 1

If I may be allowed to go a little meta, then I would say that the most tragic characters in MLP:FiM . . . are the Background Ponies. 

Consider the following: Background ponies exist simply as window dressing for the various scenes that the Mane Six (and Spike!) traverse. They have no consistent characterization, no known backstories, and no plot relevance most of the time aside from (usually) setting up a sight gag or other joke. It doesn't matter how much fanon is created for them by the Brony community, or how many brief characterization nods they may be bestowed, they will continue to exist as puppets to be placed and act at the whims of their creators (i.e. Doctor Hooves is seen wearing 3-D glasses and trotting with Roseluck . . . and then backups a rap video headlined by Pinkie Pie). 

Even the anointed Queen of the Background Ponies, Derpy Hooves/Ditzy Doo/Bright Eyes, will likely never be allowed to be anything more than a Cute Mute "Where's Waldo?" due to the controversy raised by the botched attempt at making her an Ascended Extra in "The Last Roundup." And even if one of these characters receives a brief moment to shine, like Bulk Biceps/Snowflake in "Rainbow Falls," that brief bout of character will likely be contradicted at the very next moment, either by future showings or past appearances (i.e. going from a Wonderbolts candidate to a spit-poor flier simply for the convenience of plot). Therein lies the tragedy of the Background Ponies, for no matter how much the fandom loves them, they will never be able to rise above their original purpose as chess pieces on a pastel-colored board; important for a move or two, but then just as easily disposed of as the game continues to move forward.

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic_18109

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hmm I don't really find any if the characters tragic tbh. I find Discord tragic at times because his nature is so antagonistic towards his friends. I guess the Apple family could be since apparently Applejack's parents are dead, but it's not shown to have any effect on them other than they have to work for their parents. Fluttershy might be since she trusts Discord so much (and I dont believe we've seen her parents or any family either). Yeah, MLP is not really the place to look for tragic characters

Edited by LZRD WZRD

I'd go with Discord as well; he was sealed in stone, conscious, for longer than Luna was stuck on the moon. He breaks out for 24 hours... and gets sealed again. Now he's a pawn in Celestia's game to defeat her enemies, and out of his six friends, five of them don't want anything to do with him.(Secretly, I think Fluttershy just pities him sometimes.)