Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Grammar

ReverseFaller

Of course we don't need to use perfect grammar all the time--this is just the internet, after all.  But I would like to see people put a bit more care into their writings.  It's only a problem when it gets so bad that I really have to struggle to decipher what someone is trying to say.  The massive, run-on sentence text walls with zero punctuation do annoy me a bit.

Now, as for me, I take a lot of care to use proper grammar and syntax, and make my writings neat and easy to read.  I may be one of the only people on the planet who proofreads every single forum post I make.  I will go so far as to change an adjective because I used the same one in the previous sentence, and it doesn't make for a flowing sound that's pleasing to the ear.

Example:  "MLP is a great show.  It has great messages that we can use in everyday life."

I will proofread that and think, two greats that close together?  Nope.  Doesn't sound nice.

I will then change it to:

"MLP is a spectacular show.  It has great messages that we can use in everyday life."

You wanna know how far I go?  I just proofread my example and changed it because I didn't like the way it sounded.  Sometimes I will mull over several synonyms before deciding on the one with the best ring to it.

However, I will also intentionally break the rules specifically because it's funny or sounds better in a given situation.  I ain't never had too much pony.  I'mma get me some tacos.  "I've Got to Find a Way" is my favorite MLP song, but too short.  Need MOAR!  See?  Funnier.  It's all about using poetic license, but doing it in a way that flows nicely.  When I say I want MOAR MLP song, there's no question as to my meaning.  But when people mix up there, their, and they're, it can actually cause readers to stumble momentarily and re-read to make sure they know what the writer intended to say.  People don't need to go overboard like me, but a little more effort would be very much appreciated.

TL;DR: need MOAR better grammer cuz stuffs hard to reed n sh*t yo

Yeeeah I've met a person here and insisted that they try to use better grammar.... I got confronted with another wall of text and felt tiny /)_(\.

*insert comma "save your life" meme*

And yes, it's kinda hard to read sentences without proper punctuation. That's what gets me the most.

People should put in their best effort into typing grammatically correct sentences. It builds good habits. However, here's the thing: when people correct a single mistake which isn't very noticeable (i.e., not a common mistake such mixing up "they're" and "their") and then call themselves a "Grammar Nazi", they're just being overly pedantic.

Sure, it's good to correct people's grammar when they obviously need to lrn2grammar, but if you're the person who goes around correcting people for the sake of it, then you're just being annoying and pedantic.

So long as somebody's not typing all-lowercase while using numbers in place of letters, it doesn't bother me at all.

• Brohoof 1

I has bestest grammar B)

Seriously though, it's a lot easier to read posts when people take the time to use correct grammar, and also punctuation. I don't try to get too upset over it though; it's fine as long as I can understand what's being said. English isn't everyone's first language, either.

Confession: I put effort into having good grammar online because it makes me feel smart.

As long as I can understand somebody, I try not to care too much about other peoples grammar. Sometimes though, I inadvertently perceive somebody as less smart because they don't use any punctuation or don't capitalize the first letter of a sentence. That's why I think grammar is important online. The way so somebody types is sometimes the only impression of them that you get. Typing with good grammar gives a good impression.

There are also times when peoples grammar makes it hard to understand what they are saying. This is the only situation in which I might become something of a grammar Nazi.

(edited)

I don't know why we have to call those who only wish to see English written generally according to a few simple rules grammar "nazis." It's such a negative and dismissive phrase that seems to be used to justify the laziness of others. "Oh, this person is just some stuck-up grammar nazi because they want me to write in a more intelligible way!" 

Yes, I'm aware that many conventions about grammatical structure in English are nonsensical and not used in everyday speech. That's fine, you don't have to adhere to every obscure law. It would be pedantic and completely missing the point to correct all of this, as I'm sure nobody except some stuffy old professors know them all.

There are basics, however, that dictate how the language should be written. Capitalizing the beginning of every sentence and adding a period at the end heightens readability, because it gives your brain time to rest when it's reading. All lowercase just runs together like one indistinguishable mass that is hard to read.

If there's anything you don't know how to spell, many browsers nowadays have a spell-check function. There's also Googling any simple grammatical rules or spellings you don't know. Really, people nowadays don't have as much of an excuse to type in such a manner. 

That's not to say I'm annoyed by every little thing. Mistakes and typos are fine. I can handle mistakes. But I can't handle intentional laziness. When you type in lowercase, don't have periods, capital letters, use paragraphs accordingly, and don't bother to be intelligible, I will skip your post. Many of these rules are not that difficult to follow and have been learned and retaught throughout basic school levels. Naive English speakers should know these. To me, typing like that makes it obvious you don't care and you're not serious about what you're saying, so it isn't worth my time. If you can't make the effort to be intelligible, then I won't make the effort to read your content.

Edited by Shion Uzuki
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I stopped caring so much about grammar online. There's so many regional grammatical differences around the world that something may be "correct" for one area and it may be "incorrect" in another.

I think as long as you can kinda understand somebody then there's no reason to get into an argument with them. Like, if they're having a problem and you fuss over them using "your" incorrectly, then it moves away from the problem they're having. It creates unnecessary stress and headaches.

It's different though if you're in a much more professional situation or are part of a publication, like books or emails.

Incorrect grammar and syntax has its uses, often humorously, but I truly do my best to abide by the conventions of the English language. It truly is not that difficult to speak or type correctly if it is your first language. It is indeed quicker and easier to take shortcuts, but I am not too keen on it myself.

When It comes to grammar, I'm usually not too fussed by minor errors. As long as it's not a massive pain to read, I'm fine with it.

The capitalization and punctuation problem is because people mostly type on cell phones and it's not as easy as typing on a keyboard. I honestly don't know how they type as well as they do on those things.

I've been called a grammar nazi, mostly because it drives me nuts when people use words wrong. For example:

lose [ looz ]

verb (used with object),lost  [lawst, lost], los·ing  [loo-zing].
to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery:
I'm sure I've merely misplaced my hat, not lost it.

to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered:
I just lost a dime under this sofa.

verb (used without object),lost, los·ing.
to suffer loss:
to lose on a contract.

to suffer defeat or fail to win, as in a contest, race, or game:
We played well, but we lost.

loose [ loos ]

See synonyms for: looseloosedlooserlooses on Thesaurus.com
adjective,loos·er, loos·est.
free or released from fastening or attachment:
a loose end.

free from anything that binds or restrains; unfettered:
loose cats prowling around in alleyways at night.

adverb
in a loose manner; loosely (usually used in combination):
loose-flowing.

verb (used with object),loosed, loos·ing.
to let loose; free from bonds or restraint.

to release, as from constraint, obligation, or penalty.

• Brohoof 1

Grammar and vocabulary are extremely important. Both seem to be taking it on the chin these days but I refuse to compromise. Language and its uses are an art form and the backbone of civilization. Some people advocate the dumbing-down of the language and structure as though it’s actually a good thing to see everything decline to the lowest common denominator. But that attitude will inevitably see humanity joining the rest of the unintelligent animals. I advocate strong language skills and use of the best word and grammar for any given situation. Now i gotta hope i didn’t make no grammatical faux pas here, yo? lol.

• Brohoof 1