Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you want to like, but can't

Odyssey

I want to like Ultimate Spider-Man, but because it's an insult to any Spider-Man fan, I hate it with a burning passion. 

I want to like Spyro 1, but it is so boooooooooooring. 

I want to like Man of Steel, but it is the worst superhero movie I've ever seen.

• First person shooters or roughly half the games on Steam and Microsoft.

Attack on Titan - I watched it wasn't my cup of tea, I guess. Everyone else likes it though...

Math - I'm so bad at math and I hate it - but I want to be good at it and I want it to interest me.

I'm one of those people I guess that really wishes the world was just a little better.

(edited)

Math and programming. I feel like I would be fairly adept at them, at least once I understand the conceptual framework powering them, but the way they're explained is primarily from the point of view of a person who already understands it, and can't understand not understanding it, so they start at an advanced level and just wish the content into their students' heads. Yeah, not happening, bub. Some of those concepts are fairly abstract, unless you find the perfect angle to look at it from.

Following political parties is another thing that I'd like to at least wrap my mind around, but everything seems so subjective that it's not worth even getting a political party's stance understood. I have no assurance that any particular candidate within a given party won't flip-flop simply because they're also an individual as well as a party member.

Oh, and MMORPGs. People keep asking for gold, not using proper spelling and grammar, but in a horrifically mutilated way. I can never play solo when I really want to, or explore. I have a WoW private server set up just so I can fly around and gawk at everything. So yeah, MMORPGs.

Except Guild Wars 2, which is a fantastic exception. You can mostly solo that if you're careful, and everyone has a ton of incentive to work together to get things done. It's brilliant.

Edited by SkyDream

• Sports-I've always found them rather boring.
  • League of Legends-I never really understood all of the hype behind this game.
  • Shipping-I get liking a couple, but some people go insane with shippings. 

Wait, the title of this thread is things you want to like, but can't. I've never wanted to like any of these things before. Whoops!  :muffins:

Kill La Kill and Attack On Titan. Objectively they're good, but something about the hype just makes it more unappealing to me. It's especially weird because hype normally doesn't dissuade me, MLP was in the middle of it's Season 2 boom when I hopped on the train.

i agree with you there. like im into homestuck and hetlia while just beginning mlp but i can only manage to watch 5 episode of each. i dont  know why i cant stick on to them=. like blue exocist out beat them watching wise due to the vibe it gave was a bit more interesting. i dont know why :(

JRPGs/Video games with turn-based combat - I'm missing out on games like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and the Final Fantasy series, all because the very idea of turn-based combat puts me off. I've managed to play through EarthBound and Pokemon Gen 3, which I enjoyed, but I've had too many bad experiences with this battle system that I simply can't take any more of it.

• Brohoof 1

Anime. I've only ever liked Madoka; can't seem to get in to anything else.

The Legend Of Zelda. I want to like it, I really do, but it's so boring. Actually, video games in general fall under this. Besides Pokémon, I suck at them and thus never play them.

• Brohoof 2

Leauge of Legends. All of my more "gamer" friends play it, yet despite forcing myself to play almost 12 hours of it over several months, I still do not enjoy it at all.

Also, Eti Topkek, everyone I meet say it tases amazing, but the one I ate (chocolate and hazlenut) made me feel very ill.

I know that feeling. My main group of friends all play that game. I tried really hard to get into it. I figured, if its the "Most played game in the world" I would enjoy it. Not the case. I eventually just gave up because it was causing me waaay to me stress.

I know that feeling. My main group of friends all play that game. I tried really hard to get into it. I figured, if its the "Most played game in the world" I would enjoy it. Not the case. I eventually just gave up because it was causing me waaay to me stress.

For me it was just a massive lack of interest. I kept trying to force myself in, hoping that at one point I would find the moba genre interesting. Despite many a forced attempt, at around 12 hours of gameplay I just gave up.

For me it was just a massive lack of interest. I kept trying to force myself in, hoping that at one point I would find the moba genre interesting. Despite many a forced attempt, at around 12 hours of gameplay I just gave up.

I spent an embarrassingly large amount of time. Around 300 hours I think because its all my friends would play. The gameplay itself but decent at best, but the community and the way my friends took it so seriously was a major turn off.

• Brohoof 1

I spent an embarrassingly large amount of time. Around 300 hours I think because its all my friends would play. The gameplay itself but decent at best, but the community and the way my friends took it so seriously was a major turn off.

Yea, I got like 30 reports for not trying one match. I had just gotten so disinterested that I just camped next to a tower the entire game.

Apparently in a MOBA, everything is super cereal. So the community, along with my massive lack of interest in the gameplay caused me to just give up trying it lol. 

• Brohoof 2

I meant that in the sense that they appeal to a large amount of people (power of the majority has power for a reason) and I can appreciate the aesthetic and production value, just not the actual show itself for some reason.

I totally get this, I feel that same way actually. Attack on Titan is just... I dunno, but something about it rubs me the wrong way.

Also, League of Legends

Another one for me is practicing something that I have learned how to do.  Like juggling, or slight of hand, or ventriloquism.  I love learning something new.  But when I have the basics figured out, and the only thing left to do is practice over and over and over - well, that just gets tedious really quick.  So, I never get good at anything.  I wish that I could enjoy practicing.

Yea, I got like 30 reports for not trying one match. I had just gotten so disinterested that I just camped next to a tower the entire game. Apparently in a MOBA, everything is super cereal. So the community, along with my massive lack of interest in the gameplay caused me to just give up trying it lol. 

Yea that is the major problem with League of Legends.  My friends and I used to play it a lot a while back, but it has problems.  One of the worst is you can get involved in games were you get utterly crushed from the word go and yet you are still forced to sink an enormous amount of time into a game you aren't  enjoying at all because the means for legitimately leaving a game early is so difficult to obtain.  Surrendering requires a mandatory 20 minute wait followed by a vote that requires a 4 to 1 super majority with abstains counting as votes against surrender just to back out of a game you don't like.  Oh and extenuating circumstances, such as being down a teammate at the start of the match don't alter these criteria.  This combined with a certain lack of transparency that would cause our opponents to inexplicably out damage us early game with no forthcoming explanation resulted in my friends and I giving up the game, as we just got sick of being for to spend 30+ minutes it games we hated.

• Brohoof 1