Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Getting Rid of Dark or Unwanted Thoughts

Photon Jet

I don't have anything new to add, but usually doing something else to get my mind off of them works. Swimming usually makes me feel better, as do things that I tend to focus completely on, like video games. Sometimes just thinking about happier things does the trick. :smug:

Well, there are a few methods, but I will go over one of the easier/more effective ones. 

Take a nice warm/hot shower.  Visualize the dark thoughts as a grime, a darkness throughout yourself.  Will those thoughts, that darkness to the surface and have the flowing water clean them away.

Edited by silvadel
  • Brohoof 1

This one's a little out there, and it's pretty painful, but I've picked it up recently and it works wonders.

Hanging.

Get some meat hooks (the kind they hang pigs from in smokehouses) and run a few through the skin on your back. Spacing is important so you don't get thrown off balance and risk damage. Now suspend yourself by the hooks (I sit on a chair while I'm preparing and then kick it away when I'm ready).

Just hanging there by the skin on your back, spinning around slowly with some good vibe music on is a great release. It seems a little odd but I can say that for me it has been the ultimate therapy.

the only unwanted thoughts that pop in my head is R34 and flash backs from bad moments in my life I try to forget when they come I just think of the static sound from Slender for a split second and the thought just goes away

Yeah, we do have those kind of thoughts nowadays during times we're not supposed to think about them.

Even though I'm not a fan of creepy stuff, your method might do the trick.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Having dark thoughts is like a fixture of everyday life I've had since I was a teenager. It feels like I have a good brain and an evil brain inside my head and they're in perpetual war with each other. I often shut out the bad stuff by focusing on art or writing because creativity consumes all my facilities and reinforces more positive pathways in the brain. I also have little 'happy places' where I go in my thoughts; little imagined pocket paradises where nothing dark can invade. 

I've managed to keep the bad stuff in its place and I don't let it consume my life. I'm not about thinking bad thoughts about or toward others; it's all focused inwardly, so at least they don't have to be a nuisance to anyone but me. That at least is one positive thing. 

• Brohoof 2

...and imagine a funny episode that features the banhammer. I know, the second method sounds silly but that's would I would do when their isn't any paper.

Heh. Your way totally like Giggle at the Ghostly ^_^

I think is the best way is to tell it somebody or even yourself like silly story. Of course some things you can't tell yourself only and you need advice or opinion of proper listener.

• Brohoof 1

Heh. Your way totally like Giggle at the Ghostly ^_^

I think is the best way is to tell it somebody or even yourself like silly story. Of course some things you can't tell yourself only and you need advice or opinion of proper listener.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll try it.

• Brohoof 2

For me, the majority of dark thoughts are those of inadequacy.

"So and so is angry with me... I'm not living up to their expectations... I'm not good enough..." etc. It's extremely easy for my thoughts to spiral out of control.

If I am in public while these thoughts cycle through my head, I actively tell myself, "Toughen up, buttercup." But as soon as I'm in private, I just cry it out.

I feel like there's something good about crying everything out once in a while. Especially if you shower afterwards, and treat yourself to something nice (desserts, watching mlp in bed, etc.).

• Brohoof 1

I try to read a positive story if anything  or watch something to get rid of the darker thoughts.   Music also helps or I walk in the woods and stuff, or just chase my cat around and play with her!

• Brohoof 1

the inner psychologist in me says "Guided meditation" would be good because once you figure out how to change your mindset, you can easily get back to a stable frame of mind.

Realistically, and as a practical approach one should confront their fears instead of avoiding them.

If all else fails, seek help from someone.

The spiral of self-doubt is real shit, you don't want to go there. It's a bad, bad place.

• Brohoof 2

A lot of my negative thoughts are related to depression, usually thoughts of self-loathing about myself.

Usually it helps if I go outside for a bit to clear my thoughts, which I try to do by walking every morning for a good distance.

• Brohoof 1

I struggle with this type of stuff a lot, like many others. What I find to be the best tactics are this:

1. Surround yourself with friends. Either chatting with someone that you really enjoy the company of or something similar.

2. Surround yourself with your joys. Engross your mind with things that you like, things that are your hobbies or your general interests.

3. Go on a nice walk, perhaps while listening to a video you like or music. Perhaps a podcast too.

These 3 things work immensely well, at times at least for me. Sometimes, I have some immensely rough days and it might take all 3 of these to get my mood mind off of the stuff that bothers me. Far too much I have thoughts of self hatred, or inferiority or even just simple stress about whatever. Doing these things at least is a good starting point for me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Today, I discovered how these dark thoughts are created in our minds in the first place. It's called egodystonic which contains an opposite image of our self full of negative imagination. This is common for all of us (especially me) as it gives our minds these thoughts. I didn't realize until today I don't even have a filter for these things because I am an autistic pony so I'm now learning to overcome them. I'm glad I got the opportunity to explain this condition to my family.

Have you experienced this sort of condition before? 

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

This is another option in case music and distractions don't work, take some time alone and let the bad thoughts flow through your mind, even if it's not exactly pleasant. We usually don't want to deal with them but that's why they keep returning and becoming invasive.

Edited by Baykush
  • Brohoof 1

Mostly they'll show up for you if you behave passively and let them build up. Go and shake them off with a jog or even just a walk in a nearby park. Then you capture that moment where you feel better and the next time you feel like shit, you can remind yourself that you got yourself out of that scenario before and no reason why you can't do it again. 

• Brohoof 1

Here's the thing, thoughts aren't real. Obviously, they're real thoughts but they do not represent reality.

I had a nightmare last night where I was stuck in a burning building. I woke up in relief realising it was a dream. People don't take dreams seriously (well, most people don't) so there's no reason to take thoughts when you're awake seriously.

Once you realise you're having a dark/unwanted thought, just think to yourself "this is just a thought, it's not reality" 

<3

• Brohoof 1

Here's the thing, thoughts aren't real. Obviously, they're real thoughts but they do not represent reality.

I had a nightmare last night where I was stuck in a burning building. I woke up in relief realising it was a dream. People don't take dreams seriously (well, most people don't) so there's no reason to take thoughts when you're awake seriously.

Once you realise you're having a dark/unwanted thought, just think to yourself "this is just a thought, it's not reality" 

<3

Good idea. I also say to myself they are just thoughts, messing with your head. I think the best tactic you could do is to let them pass by so you won't think have to think about them anymore.

• Brohoof 1

Good idea. I also say to myself they are just thoughts, messing with your head. I think the best tactic you could do is to let them pass by so you won't think have to think about them anymore.

I've read a lot of self-help books over the years :P I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder so I get problems with catastrophic thinking. I'm not "cured" now but I react to my own thoughts in a more positive way. I'd recommend this book if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Not-Worry-Remarkable-Change/dp/0857082868/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477152574&sr=8-1&keywords=how+not+to+worry+paul+mcgee

• Brohoof 1

I've read a lot of self-help books over the years :P I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder so I get problems with catastrophic thinking. I'm not "cured" now but I react to my own thoughts in a more positive way. I'd recommend this book if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Not-Worry-Remarkable-Change/dp/0857082868/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477152574&sr=8-1&keywords=how+not+to+worry+paul+mcgee

Now that will really help us a lot. I'll give it a go and see how I feel.

• Brohoof 2