Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New to drawing, be gentle

IceeBrony

Hi! I'm starting to draw ponies. I don't have any real knowledge about drawing, and my experience is limited to random doodles.

I would appreciate feedback and guidance :) Advice like "Google tutorials" has gotten me this far. So I could do with a bit more detail. Or at least I think that's what I need. Some of you may have a better idea of what I need to practice (besides just practicing of course).

These are literally the first ponies I have ever drawn

First

post-28159-0-47383100-1405723424_thumb.png

Second

post-28159-0-73912800-1405723486_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

Really good for a first attempt! The proportions are the hardest part, keep doing it and you'll get the hang of it. You seem to have it well-done already, the only thing I would really change right off the bat is making Rainbow Dash's legs thicker, but if you go on my DeviantArt you can see that I have trouble with that, too.

I like them!  I'm new to drawing too and I've run into some problems.  One of my biggest problems was not curving the pony bodies enough.  Ponies are cute and round, not very stiff.  Just my two cents though  :)

• Brohoof 2

Definitely not bad for a first attempt. You might want to work on the eyes on the second picture, they look a little uneven. Or maybe the muzzle needs to be shifted. But they're a little off kilter with one another.

The top two fully ponies are great for a first go. If I had to nit pick, though, I'd suggest working on the mane and tail in the first two. Also, the legs in the incomplete one.

Besides that, they're awesome. Keep up the great work! 

I like them!  I'm new to drawing too and I've run into some problems.  One of my biggest problems was not curving the pony bodies enough.  Ponies are cute and round, not very stiff.  Just my two cents though  :)

I re-draw those lines several times >.< I've been rotating the paper around to get a better angle. Still working on proportions and eyeballing where the pieces need to go. I'm that's mostly just practice though :P

The front legs on the RD pic are not right, too straight or something...

Definitely not bad for a first attempt. You might want to work on the eyes on the second picture, they look a little uneven. Or maybe the muzzle needs to be shifted. But they're a little off kilter with one another.

The top two fully ponies are great for a first go. If I had to nit pick, though, I'd suggest working on the mane and tail in the first two. Also, the legs in the incomplete one.

Besides that, they're awesome. Keep up the great work! 

Yeah... its the muzzle I think. I took it completely off and replaced it to make it better. The eyes started out pretty even, but I think I made them different sizes.

I re-draw those lines several times >.< I've been rotating the paper around to get a better angle. Still working on proportions and eyeballing where the pieces need to go. I'm that's mostly just practice though :P

It is pretty difficult.  When it doubt though, always rely on the circles you draw for the head and the body.  I usually make the body circles bigger if the chest is too flat/not curved

As for the legs, you could add a little more curvature to those too, but they are great the way they are too.  Don't be too hard on yourself, you are just beginning!  :muffins:

Yeah... its the muzzle I think. I took it completely off and replaced it to make it better. The eyes started out pretty even, but I think I made them different sizes.

The eyes look pretty even, but that depends on the angle of the face. If she's facing more profile, then they SHOULDN'T be even. When in doubt, draw reference lines. It may be a b**** to erase sometimes, but it can help with faces, especially figuring out where to put the muzzle.

I, personally, draw by angles rather than shapes (I draw the whole, line by line, rather than using circles and lines for the base shapes. But even I still use those reference lines to determine where to draw the eyes/ears/muzzle/etc.

I'd love to see the finished version when you make it. You're off to a wonderful start.

As an artist myself may I suggest a few things. Get some references of some kind. (I have a ton on my computer at all times) You ever have to be ashamed of useing a guide of some sort, you may find one day you don't need it but it is a tool to be used just like a pencil. Also find a tool you really like to use. Maybe a pencil isn't right for you try charcols, try oil pastels, get messy, make mistakes and have fun!

(edited)

As an artist myself may I suggest a few things. Get some references of some kind. (I have a ton on my computer at all times) You ever have to be ashamed of useing a guide of some sort, you may find one day you don't need it but it is a tool to be used just like a pencil. Also find a tool you really like to use. Maybe a pencil isn't right for you try charcols, try oil pastels, get messy, make mistakes and have fun!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

miss_valerie_frizzle_as_a_pony_by_dabest

Edited by DoctorMcCrimmon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi :3 As a fellow artist, I'd like to suggest you draw your rough sketch very lightly, in regular pencil, not mechanical pencil because a mechanical pencil tends to scratch the paper. Once you finish the rough sketch, you can sketch the outlines darker. Also, something that helps me is http://www.dragoart.com, and going to tutorials. But personally I think the RBD tutorial on there looks a little bulky, her hair is too short, and she just looks bulky, masculine, and awkward.