Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So what if RD and AJ are wearing skirts?

Zoraxe

Honestly, I find that people saying that AJ and RD are tomboys and thus shouldn't be wearing skirts pretty terrible. RD and AJ can wear skirts if they want to, its not that these characters have to fit into stereotypes. And saying 'tomboys can't wear skirts' is not helping. Personally, I don't think they are tomboys anyways, they can like whatever they want to like.

• Brohoof 1

Well, i personally had a different view on this. Thats b/c what RD and AJ do mostly as in athletics and hard labor. Basically, they're not 'girly girl' b/c those two tend to get pretty messing, compared to Rarity, who has the tendency to jump when she gets dirty. Thats pretty much the way i see it

Now as you said, ppl claiming RD and AJ as tomboys, it doesnt surprise me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think what bothers the most is just how every character in a recolor of basically the same outfit with only minor differentiations, when you walk outside I guarantee you won't see every female on the street wearing a skirt and knee-high boots. As an author and an animator I know that clothing is very important to portray a characters personality, for instance you won't see someone who likes to ride bicycles and play football wearing a dress or tailored suit during those activities. Of course there are exceptions to everything, but not everybody wears the exact same style of clothing as is shown at Canterlot High.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 3

I think what bothers the most is just how every character in a recolor of basically the same outfit with only minor differentiations, when you walk outside I guarantee you won't see every female on the street wearing a skirt and knee-high boots. As an author and an animator I know that clothing is very important to portray a characters personality, for instance you won't see someone who likes to ride bicycles and play football wearing a dress or tailored suit during those activities. Of course there are exceptions to everything, but not everybody wears the exact same style of clothing as is shown at Canterlot High.

I understand where you are coming from. But maybe skirts and knee-highs are the style there. you also have to remember that it is easier to sell dolls in skirts like that, because you can use the same layout and just change a few things for all the people. because all they really cared about was selling dolls.        

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I understand where you are coming from. But maybe skirts and knee-highs are the style there. you also have to remember that it is easier to sell dolls in skirts like that, because you can use the same layout and just change a few things for all the people. because all they really cared about was selling dolls.        

Well even if it was a popular style you would see variations because not everybody agrees on what is most "in" at any one time, jocks will obviously not follow the fashion trends of the drama kids and chic girls. I do see where you are coming from with the toy sales and we also have to keep in mind the target demographic is young girls that like skirts and stockings apparently.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 1

Well even if it was a popular style you would see variations because not everybody agrees on what is most popular, jocks will obviously not follow the fashion trends of the drama kids and chic girls. I do see where you are coming from with the toy sales and we have to keep in mind the target demographic of young girls, most of which like skirts and stockings apparently.

ok well if you remember they did dress differently, like the Goth's dressed in black and such. I probably should not care too much like you said the key word "target demographic" and I guess that girls do like dresses and such(just an assumption me not being a little girl)

You aren't going to expect a tomboy like Rainbow Dash to be wearing skirts, maybe something like athletic shorts or pants would be more likely, plus I grew up in rural Pennsylvania and any of the girls that worked on a farm or did any kind of dirty work were wearing jeans all the time.

So I think it makes sense to criticize that little aspect, even if wearing a skirt may appeal more to little girls.

I can see why people are upset that they all are wearing skirts, especially Rainbow Dash and Applejack, but I don't see it as a big deal myself. And like boy said, the dolls can be made easier if they all wear skirts.

It's obviously to make their designs appeal to the target demographic. I can accept it somewhat with AJ, but with Dashie, it's kinda bothering, but I'm not gonna make a big fuzz over it, after all, they have the same personalities of their ponies counterparts

(edited)

You aren't going to expect a tomboy like Rainbow Dash to be wearing skirts

This is what I was saying, people are being all 'Rainbow must fit into this female gender-role named 'tomboy' therefor she shouldn't wear a skirt'.

maybe something like athletic shorts or pants would be more likely, plus I grew up in rural Pennsylvania and any of the girls that worked on a farm or did any kind of dirty work were wearing jeans all the time.

Most girls in the US don't wear skirts or dresses most of the time. Just the current trend.

I can see why people are upset that they all are wearing skirts.

Yeah, but then again they are wearing the same thing everyday too except on special occasions, which is common in cartoons. Note that pony Rarity has the same mane style in every episode. So maybe it was better if they had different outfits, RD could be wearing her skirt one day and pants another, but then they would have to animate multiple 'everyday' clothes sets for each character.

Edited by Zoraxe

I think they should have left the skirts to the toys and have the characters actually have different designs in the show. Rainbow Dash's clothes in particular stands out in the wrong way. Applejack's clothes are actually fine though. I actually think Fluttershy stands out more than Applejack.

The fact that they were all wearing skirts, even the tomboys, upset me because it seems like they were trying to make the characters into something they're not... just for the sake of making some pretty little barbie dolls that pander to narrow-minded and unrealistic beauty standards for girls.

The variety in the mane 6's outfits should reflect the variety in their personalities, just like how girls' outfits reflect their personalities IRL.

They all just looked too pretty, too froufrou, and too perfect. I could see Rarity being really high-fem, and perhaps Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie to a lesser degree. But I thought Twilight would be kinda geek-chic (cardigan or hoodie, longer skirt or some nice pants, flats), Applejack would look more-or-less like an average country girl (worn jeans/ homemade jean shorts, light t-shirt/tank top, tennis shoes/rugged boots... nothing fancy, she's not that kind of girl!), and Rainbow would look like a jock (athletic shorts or casual jeans, graphic tee, some bold nike shoes... i could also see her rocking a snapback).

I don't know. I just had these visuals of how awesome and unique each humanized pony could be, and they ended up just looking like the same stereotypical female characters that exist on nearly every other "girly" show.  Disappointing. :(

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

At least RD wears tights underneath and not panties. It's like Link from Legend of Zelda. I don't know about AJ, since her skirt is too long to tell....

Edited by Shenron00

(edited)

The fact that they were all wearing skirts, even the tomboys, upset me because it seems like they were trying to make the characters into something they're not... just for the sake of making some pretty little barbie dolls that pander to narrow-minded and unrealistic beauty standards for girls.

While I agree with that they all are wearing skirts isn't good. I fully disagree with the sentiment that characters wearing skirts makes them something they are not.

The variety in the mane 6's outfits should reflect the variety in their personalities, just like how girls' outfits reflect their personalities IRL.

Rainbow is wearing Skorts, and AJ is wearing rather southern (More South-west than deep south) looking clothes, so I don't see how that is un-applejackish just because its a skirt.

They all just looked too pretty, too froufrou, and too perfect. I could see Rarity being really high-fem, and perhaps Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie to a lesser degree. But I thought Twilight would be kinda geek-chic (cardigan or hoodie, longer skirt or some nice pants, flats), Applejack would look more-or-less like an average country girl (worn jeans/ homemade jean shorts, light t-shirt/tank top, tennis shoes/rugged boots... nothing fancy, she's not that kind of girl!), and Rainbow would look like a jock (athletic shorts or casual jeans, graphic tee, some bold nike shoes... i could also see her rocking a snapback).

I don't know. I just had these visuals of how awesome and unique each humanized pony could be, and they ended up just looking like the same stereotypical female characters that exist on nearly every other "girly" show.  Disappointing. :(

You know what would be cool, if AJ and Rainbow were wearing skirts and Fluttershy and Rarity were wearing pants.

Using 'Tomboy' as a gender role that certain characters have to be and saying those characters have to wear certain things according to said gender role is borderline sexist.

Edited by Zoraxe

(edited)
While I agree with that they all are wearing skirts isn't good. I fully disagree with the sentiment that characters wearing skirts makes them something they are not. Rainbow is wearing Skorts, and AJ is wearing rather southern (More South-west than deep south) looking clothes, so I don't see how that is un-applejackish just because its a skirt. You know what would be cool, if AJ and Rainbow were wearing skirts and Fluttershy and Rarity were wearing pants. Using 'Tomboy' as a gender role that certain characters have to be and saying those characters have to wear certain things according to said gender role is borderline sexist.

warning: LONG POST AHEAD XD I really couldn't figure out how to shorten it.

I'm not using “tomboy” as a prescribed gender role though; that label just happens to align with the personality that the writers gave those two characters. There’s nothing inherently wrong with a label – calling someone a “tomboy” is not harmful, just like calling someone a “girly girl” isn’t harmful. I understand that girls can have personalities and behaviors that don’t fit these labels perfectly, but I just think Applejack and Rainbow Dash are written in such a way that we can call them “tomboy” characters and it’s pretty dang accurate. If you have a problem with the stereotype of the “tomboy,” don't call me the sexist. I didn't write the tropes into the show. Those already existed; I'm just describing them.

But besides, this isn't an argument about gender roles. It's mostly an argument about common sense and continuity. There is no logical reason Applejack's everyday outfit should be a dress - she rejects dresses in the show proper, telling us she prefers her old "work duds." She's only ever wore a dress twice: once for the Gala, and once when she put it on as a parody in Simple Ways. She conveys the fact that she doesn't enjoy froufrou things and reminds us about that ALL the time, consistently. Plus, she literally does physical labor daily. So why should she have to be portrayed as this high-fem country Barbie? It doesn't do her true personality justice.

Similarly, Rainbow's personality simply doesn't align with her look. In the show proper, she is an athlete, she is pretty lazy/laid-back, and she makes it clear she knows nothing about fashion and doesn't really care to learn about it. And yet we get this image of her in EG where she literally plays soccer in a pink skirt. For the record, there's nothing inherently wrong with a pink skirt. I freaking LOVE pink skirts. But when I think of Rainbow Dash, this super strong, physical, and independently-minded character, I really don't want to see her reduced to an ultra-feminine role that frankly seems rather forced.

Several of you all point out that she has some shorts on under her skirt. True. But we need to ask this question: why couldn't she just be in the shorts? What is so risky about a female cartoon character/doll who dares to wear something that’s not reminiscent of a Bratz doll? Why did Hasbro think it so necessary for all of them to conform to this highly idealized feminine image? It just seems lazy and unrealistic.

Lastly - If we're talking about gender roles and sexism here, let's put my opinion in some real world context. I see a huge problem with the media constantly forcing female characters to conform to impractical concepts of ultra-femininity. When it comes to female cartoon characters and toys aimed at young girls, there's little to no variety. Everything in the girls’ toy aisle is overwhelmingly pink and sparkly, and all the dolls have look like princesses. There’s is absolutely nothing wrong with being feminine (I, myself, am a huge girly girl), but there is a problem when only feminine girls are portrayed in a positive light.  It teaches girls that there's only one proper way to be a girl, and that if you don't meet those standards, there must be something wrong. If that doesn't reinforce dated gender roles, I don't know what does.

All I was saying is that, out of all of the mane 6, Applejack and Rainbow Dash are often the most praised for their novel characterization. They, for once, portray a different type of girl - a type of girl that often gets cast aside in popular culture. I was just hoping to see that awesome, diverse characterization reflected in EG. In my opinion, they missed a major opportunity to do something unique with those characters in particular, and that makes me sad. I see nothing progressive or innovative in taking the entire Mane 6, each of whom have vastly different personalities, and putting them all in poofy skirts.

Edited by Jennabun

Did you forget that this is a movie that deserves all the hate it gets because since it's about girls why not make every single girl in the movie wears the same clothing but with different coloring 

By themselves it's not particularity unlikely, but combining it with the fact everyone wears a skirt makes it odd. ANd if you're choosing ponies to not wear skirts, AJ and RD are to the top of the list.

But besides, this isn't an argument about gender roles. It's mostly an argument about common sense and continuity. There is no logical reason Applejack's everyday outfit should be a dress - she rejects dresses in the show proper, telling us she prefers her old "work duds." She's only ever wore a dress twice: once for the Gala, and once when she put it on as a parody in Simple Ways. She conveys the fact that she doesn't enjoy froufrou things and reminds us about that ALL the time, consistently. Plus, she literally does physical labor daily. So why should she have to be portrayed as this high-fem country Barbie? It doesn't do her true personality justice.

AJ is wearing a denim skirt, its not very froufrou-y. As I said, the fact of all the female character wearing skirts is annoying, but any particular female character wearing a dress/skirt isn't, thats including AJ and her simple outfit.

Similarly, Rainbow's personality simply doesn't align with her look. In the show proper, she is an athlete, she is pretty lazy/laid-back, and she makes it clear she knows nothing about fashion and doesn't really care to learn about it. And yet we get this image of her in EG where she literally plays soccer in a pink skirt. For the record, there's nothing inherently wrong with a pink skirt. I freaking LOVE pink skirts.

I get the vibe that Rainbow is more a (so-called by TV tropes) 'Tomboy with a girly streak'

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TomboywithaGirlyStreak

Afterall, Rainbow Dash always dresses in style. She at least doesn't seem to mind wearing dresses though she sucks at designing them.

But when I think of Rainbow Dash, this super strong, physical, and independently-minded character, I really don't want to see her reduced to an ultra-feminine role that frankly seems rather forced.

I bet you want to reword this, cause it sounds really terrible.

For one, you make it sound like wearing a skirt is something a super strong, physical, and independently-minded character wouldn't wear, and then said it would "reduce" her to an ultra-feminine role.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealWomenDontWearDresses?from=Main.RealWomenNeverWearDresses

I don't think that is what you are saying though, it just didn't come off good.

Several of you all point out that she has some shorts on under her skirt. True. But we need to ask this question: why couldn't she just be in the shorts? What is so risky about a female cartoon character/doll who dares to wear something that’s not reminiscent of a Bratz doll? Why did Hasbro think it so necessary for all of them to conform to this highly idealized feminine image? It just seems lazy and unrealistic.

Again, doesn't seem out of character to me for RD or AJ or any of the female characters to wear skirts and dresses, its just that all of them are wearing skirts at the same time. If they had a more varied wardrobe and say RD had shorts on one day and a skirt the next, that would be better.

The unrealistic thing is that they wear the same things everyday. (Most of the time)

Lastly - If we're talking about gender roles and sexism here, let's put my opinion in some real world context. I see a huge problem with the media constantly forcing female characters to conform to impractical concepts of ultra-femininity. When it comes to female cartoon characters and toys aimed at young girls, there's little to no variety. Everything in the girls’ toy aisle is overwhelmingly pink and sparkly, and all the dolls have look like princesses. There’s is absolutely nothing wrong with being feminine (I, myself, am a huge girly girl), but there is a problem when only feminine girls are portrayed in a positive light.  It teaches girls that there's only one proper way to be a girl, and that if you don't meet those standards, there must be something wrong. If that doesn't reinforce dated gender roles, I don't know what does.

All I was saying is that, out of all of the mane 6, Applejack and Rainbow Dash are often the most praised for their novel characterization. They, for once, portray a different type of girl - a type of girl that often gets cast aside in popular culture. I was just hoping to see that awesome, diverse characterization reflected in EG. In my opinion, they missed a major opportunity to do something unique with those characters in particular, and that makes me sad. I see nothing progressive or innovative in taking the entire Mane 6, each of whom have vastly different personalities, and putting them all in poofy skirts.

They are still those same diverse characters, with and without the skirts.

(edited)
For one, you make it sound like wearing a skirt is something a super strong, physical, and independently-minded character wouldn't wear, and then said it would "reduce" her to an ultra-feminine role.

I'm not talking about female characters in general, okay? I'm talking about a specific character: Rainbow Dash. Can women in general wear skirts and be powerful? Hell yes. Look at the Powerpuff Girls and the Sailor Scouts. But does Rainbow Dash's particular fashion statement match her particular characterization? Not to me. I always thought she came off as more androgynous, and I don't think I'm alone in getting that vibe. I thought it would be cool to actually see a character break the mold in some way, and I thought that if any pony were to do it, it would probably be Rainbow Dash. I probably would have been cool with any of the ponies getting less of a high-fem look, even ponies like Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie. But I thought Rainbow Dash would be most likely candidate, so that's why it upset me.

Again, doesn't seem out of character to me for RD or AJ or any of the female characters to wear skirts and dresses, its just that all of them are wearing skirts at the same time. If they had a more varied wardrobe and say RD had shorts on one day and a skirt the next, that would be better. The unrealistic thing is that they wear the same things everyday. (Most of the time)

We actually agree on this. If they varied the outfits more, the skirt thing would definitely be more believable.

They are still those same diverse characters, with and without the skirts

I don't know. I lose a lot of the "diverse" vibe when they all look like the same, trite "trendy" girl dolls we've all seen before. I mean, it makes me cringe when I go into the toy aisle and the Equestria Girls dolls look exactly like all the other dolls in the aisle, just with pastel skin tones. I expected them to break some barriers and actually be original in the way they portray girls. Now, it just looks like they went with what was the easiest design to sell.

Edited by Jennabun