Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Cool Games You Can Play With A Crappy PC.

remove p l e a s e ?

I decided to make this thread to have everyone share some cool games that you can play with an absolute toaster. Because sometimes people don't have the money to be able to buy a super computer from thin air, so at the moment they have to stick with integrated graphics/processing.

Here's a few games I could play:

-Brutal DOOM

-Half-Life

-Team Fortress 2 (Only will work on a few fixes and modification and it would run at 30-60 FPS.)

Also my PC specs are:

1.48 GHz Dual Core APU

6.00 GB RAM

x64 based

So, what games can you play on your coffee maker?

• Brohoof 1

Skyrim

Oblivion

Morrowind

GTA San Andreas

Half-Life 2, Episode 1 and Episode 2

Burnout Paradise

Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Severance The Blade of Darkness

Assault Cube

Prince of Persia Warrior Within

Assassin's Creed 1

Fallout 1 & 2

SimCity 2000

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Monkey Island

Grim Fandango

Strife

Duke Nukem 3D

Star Wars: Dark Forces

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

Unreal

Age of Empires

• Brohoof 1

I recommend FTL and Hearthstone.

You can probably get FTL for somewhere around 5-10 dollars. Its a space strategy game.

Hearthstone is a free to play trading card game

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Even five year old laptops can play a lot of older games you can get off of GoG.com, or Steam in some cases. If the game is old enough you might need a DOS emulator because newer operating systems don't run certain older games. That's the beauty of getting games off of Steam and GoG though, they come in their own self-contained DOS emulators.

Games anyone with a computer made in the last decade could play:

Planescape: Torment (among other Dungeons & Dragons-based RPGs such as Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale)

Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics

Blackthorne

Zoo/Roller Coaster Tycoon

Treasure Adventure Game

Ultima IV and below (at the very least!)

In some cases Portal is also a low-requirement game. I was playing it pretty smoothly on a 2007 laptop that wasn't even made for gaming.

Unless you have a PC that's clogged with viruses or has some form of faulty hardware the PC has a LOT of games both old and new, freeware and dirt cheap, that almost anyone can play.

I went to Walmart just last year and got a non-gaming computer for $400 (not including warranties and antivirus preinstallation) and it runs all of the above mentioned games. As long as you don't get like...a chromebook or something like that you've got a system that can play an incredibly large library of games with little to no issues. The only reason you'd need a top-of-the-line PC is for AAA games and if you want it to stay relevant for the next decade without needing upgrades.

Note: This is all coming from a primarily console gamer. I have no need for a super computer to play the games I want but the laptop I have is sufficient for most games. Take that as you will.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R might do you, I only have a Pentium Dual-Core with it's IGU and it runs 60FPS at max settings and 720p.

Pretty much anything that was released in the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation or older as well. Grab DOSbox and you can get REALLY far back there.

There's also emulators(anythng PS1/N64 or older)

Edited by Shoboni

any tale tell game will run on almost anything. I have Walking Dead season 1 and 2 on my phone for pitty sake. Comp wise Im not sure both my desktop and laptop are monsters but i can highly recommend Fallout 1,2, and 3 as well as new vegas. the batman Arkham games minus origins will run on almost anything as well.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it's free to play, but you can buy a monthly membership to get more.

RuneScape.

I like the game, but a lot of people don't.

You can just try it if you want.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it's free to play, but you can buy a monthly membership to get more.

RuneScape.

I like the game, but a lot of people don't.

You can just try it if you want.

I think Runescape used to be fantastic, but not so much anymore. It's okay if you like it, but I really don't like how they basically got rid of the elements that made it a unique game different than other MMORPGs, stole a bunch of ideas from WoW (mainly with the new combat system), and basically made it just like any other MMORPG. Also, the free-to-play version used to be awesome, but now it seems more like just an advertizement for the Member game, which is something they had said they'd never do. "Jagex" supposedly stands for "Just about the gaming experience" but it seems like they're waaay too much after money now. 

Although, I am considering becoming a member just to be able to play on the "Oldschool Runescape" servers, in which you can actually play the game as it was in August 2007. Personally, I'd rather go back to '08 or '09 Runescape, but hey, I wouldn't mind '07, and I'd definitely prefer it to the current game. 

Just thought I'd share my opinion, not to say anything against yours of course.

• Brohoof 3

I think Runescape used to be fantastic, but not so much anymore. It's okay if you like it, but I really don't like how they basically got rid of the elements that made it a unique game different than other MMORPGs, stole a bunch of ideas from WoW (mainly with the new combat system), and basically made it just like any other MMORPG. Also, the free-to-play version used to be awesome, but now it seems more like just an advertizement for the Member game, which is something they had said they'd never do. "Jagex" supposedly stands for "Just about the gaming experience" but it seems like they're waaay too much after money now. 

Although, I am considering becoming a member just to be able to play on the "Oldschool Runescape" servers, in which you can actually play the game as it was in August 2007. Personally, I'd rather go back to '08 or '09 Runescape, but hey, I wouldn't mind '07, and I'd definitely prefer it to the current game. 

Just thought I'd share my opinion, not to say anything against yours of course.

I love going back to August 2007. That's the month I started.

And JaGEx means Java Gaming Experts, from what I've read.

I love going back to August 2007. That's the month I started.

And JaGEx means Java Gaming Experts, from what I've read.

"Java Gaming Experts" I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it meant. But they did claim once in a news post on their website that it stood for "Just about the gaming experience." Could be a backronym, though, as in, an acronym created in retrospect, or it could've just been a lie, I dunno. I remember the post was about how they were removing all references to the member game from the free-to-play game. Which they did. And I liked that update. Fast forward a few years in the future, and it's just like, wow Jagex, wow... They must have undergone significant staff changes with their developers or something, because it's not just the game that's changed, it's the company's whole philosophy. They used to actually not care, at least not as much as most game developing companies, about whether certain updates would make them more money. They just wanted to provide a good game for people to enjoy. But now.... NOW... Well, things have changed now.

• Brohoof 1

"Java Gaming Experts" I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it meant. But they did claim once in a news post on their website that it stood for "Just about the gaming experience." Could be a backronym, though, as in, an acronym created in retrospect, or it could've just been a lie, I dunno. I remember the post was about how they were removing all references to the member game from the free-to-play game. Which they did. And I liked that update. Fast forward a few years in the future, and it's just like, wow Jagex, wow... They must have undergone significant staff changes with their developers or something, because it's not just the game that's changed, it's the company's whole philosophy. They used to actually not care, at least not as much as most game developing companies, about whether certain updates would make them more money. They just wanted to provide a good game for people to enjoy. But now.... NOW... Well, things have changed now.

Examples of them wanting money: Squeal of Fortune (now Treasure Hunter), Solomon's General Store, advertising membership EVERYWHERE... But I've played it since I was 7 and I can't stop now.

• Brohoof 1

So I once had a laptop that ran Team Fortress 2 at 5 FPS even with a Max FPS Config.

Well, at least it ran Portal smoothly enough.

Also, I guess Roblox might work on older computers. It's basically a Lego-Style game where you build your own games! Been playing it for 6 years already! xD

• Brohoof 1

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2

Lowest settings of course  :P

I really didn't care for the ultra high settings any way.

If it can play than that's the end of story.  :lol:

So I once had a laptop that ran Team Fortress 2 at 5 FPS even with a Max FPS Config.

Well, at least it ran Portal smoothly enough.

Also, I guess Roblox might work on older computers. It's basically a Lego-Style game where you build your own games! Been playing it for 6 years already! xD

Did you mess with the settings in the options? You should set the resolution ALL the way down as well textures and models.

Either that or you were on a laggy server or you were playing the offline mode, which the NPC would kill your processor.

And for Roblox, I heard the community was horrible.

• Brohoof 1

Crysis 3. Anyone should be able to run that.

Okay, yeah, I'll admit it. I'm joking. Crysis 3 would make a low-end PC melt and burn into a hunk of smouldering metal.

• Brohoof 3

I really didn't care for the ultra high settings any way.

If it can play than that's the end of story.  :lol:

Did you mess with the settings in the options? You should set the resolution ALL the way down as well textures and models.

Either that or you were on a laggy server or you were playing the offline mode, which the NPC would kill your processor.

And for Roblox, I heard the community was horrible.

I actually did, everything down, including the resolution.

Roblox's community isn't really that bad, it's just filled with ODers, hackers and annoying spoiled brats. But there's actually some people who are friendly :P

• Brohoof 3

A forenote: to all those using Windows 8 who feel all up to date and cool, the start overlay is severely limiting your performance. Unless the machine running it is a well-built computer meant to deal with the extra stress, it won't play youtube videos well (frame skipping), games run slower, and everything overall gets hung up by this useless feature. It just doesn't make sense to limit the entire machine like that. It's like turbo buttons on computers. Look it up.

On my potato, I can play Dota 2 okay, TF2 runs fine, Terraria, and possibly Starbound.

• Brohoof 2