Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you want the United States to use the metric system?

SolidTwilight

do you want america to use the metric system?  

105 users have voted

1. 1. do you want america to use the metric system?

• Yes
    • No
    • what's a metric?

Plus I find the gigantic skip from centimeters to meters to be absolutely insane. The "foot" is a larger measurement without being too large and far easier to visualize than trying to imagine what 50-100 tiny little centimeters is.

If you know how large is a meter (which isn't hard), then you can visualize how large is half meter or 1/3 meter, which is also easy to convert to centimeters.

Or you can just use decimeters.

If we switched to metric overnight, it wouldn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't mind buying a 4L jug of milk and driving home on a road labeled at 70 km/h.

see i dont get this im from the uk and i would buy 4L of milk but on the roads it would be mph not km/h how does this work

im like 100% confused what ones what because people are saying things that i thought were part of the same system like i thought feet inches and yards were metric (if they are or not i don't know) stupid Britain some how using both

Yeah, those are all Imperial. Metric system is pretty easy to recognize because it's the one that uses all those prefixes like "centi" or "milli" or "kilo".

Have you ever heard "kilofeet"? No? Then feet are Imperial.

I don't want to switch.  We had to learn the metric system for the nursing program.  I know people think it's better because it's easier, but imperial is easy for me.  It's what I'm used to and what a lot of other people are used to.  I like being able to measure in inches by the creases in my fingers.  lol

=Celsius may be good in that it uses the Base 10, but the concept for Fahrenheit garners stronger use. It was originally designed to detail comfort for the human body, with 0-100 degree Fahrenheit being "bearable" by the human body and anything more or less beyond that range and the entire human body would start going into a frenzy and break down.

say what?  my summer is over 100 every single day.  lol

If you know how large is a meter (which isn't hard), then you can visualize how large is half meter or 1/3 meter, which is also easy to convert to centimeters.

Or you can just use decimeters.

This goes back to my original point though: For people like me there is absolutely no reason to change what system I use. It will change literally nothing if I were to use the metric system instead.

It has been tried before. Research on why that is leads me to think "Politicians gonna be politicians". I think the imperial measurement system needs to die.

Edited by Indigo Racing

When I read through the posts, I realised some people were complaining about the Fahrenheit system. The Fahrenheit system does not use water as the reference points, hence the strange values. Instead, it uses brine as the reference point....

Still better than butter, if you ask me.

Of course I want them to use the metric system! It's just so confusing for others when things are described in feet and inches!

I mean come on! What is a foot anyway?! All that comes to mind is that appendage attached to your leg!

Plus the metric system makes a lot more sense! I think we're past using body part measurements.

• Brohoof 2

im like 100% confused what ones what because people are saying things that i thought were part of the same system like i thought feet inches and yards were metric (if they are or not i don't know) stupid Britain some how using both

1. Please use punctuation so that people can read your posts more easily. :)

2. Metric System

3. Imperial System

As for what I think about metric vs. imperial... I do think that we should switch. But, I'm not sure if people realize just how much would need to change in order to get everything transitioned. Think about it.

If we were to switch overnight, or within a year or two, we would need to change all automobiles to reflect how many miles it has to kilometers. That means that every car would need to be hacked into to change the odometers in them to reflect kilometers. Of course, this would take forever and would waste thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of people's lives. If any of you are familiar with the Chevrolet Cobalt recall from February, you may have an idea, but let me tell you something anyways. I have a Cobalt, so when I heard about the recall, I awaited my letter from the dealership so that I could get the ignition switch fixed. I was not able to get to the dealership to get it replaced until JULY. And this is just for ONE TYPE of car. Think about how much worse it would be to changed all cars over to kilometers...

Also, everyone's daily lives would change. Everyone would need new kitchen utensils and bathroom scales. Everyone would need to translate all of their recipes, or maybe just get rid of all of their cookbooks and buy new ones. We would need new ovens and refrigerators. We would also need new thermostats, and new thermometers for taking body temperature.

So I like the idea of transitioning slowly to get everyone used to the metric system in everyday lives... the idea would to create a master plan and promise to implement by, say, 2018. That would begin the transitioning stage... so we would still live with vehicles with miles for a long time, and everyone would upgrade their appliances slowly. People who are cooking will be using cookbooks with both measurements listed, and they will have both sets of utensils.

I think that doing something like this is just such a low priority at this point... at least, politically.

Hello no, I am by no means a math whiz and so I know this kind of change is going to be a living hell for me. I could probably learn the Metric system but I really don't see what is so great about it or what is wrong with the current system. It works and that is what should matter.

I use the metric system, so i'm kind of biased, but it's pretty easy and simple to understand i guess?

Not American, but i'd love it if they'd transferred as it would make things easier for me. I don't mind that much either way, i always have the trusty google to do the conversions for me.

(edited)

1. Please use punctuation so that people can read your posts more easily. :)

2. Metric System

3. Imperial System

As for what I think about metric vs. imperial... I do think that we should switch. But, I'm not sure if people realize just how much would need to change in order to get everything transitioned. Think about it.

If we were to switch overnight, or within a year or two, we would need to change all automobiles to reflect how many miles it has to kilometers. That means that every car would need to be hacked into to change the odometers in them to reflect kilometers. Of course, this would take forever and would waste thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of people's lives. If any of you are familiar with the Chevrolet Cobalt recall from February, you may have an idea, but let me tell you something anyways. I have a Cobalt, so when I heard about the recall, I awaited my letter from the dealership so that I could get the ignition switch fixed. I was not able to get to the dealership to get it replaced until JULY. And this is just for ONE TYPE of car. Think about how much worse it would be to changed all cars over to kilometers...

Also, everyone's daily lives would change. Everyone would need new kitchen utensils and bathroom scales. Everyone would need to translate all of their recipes, or maybe just get rid of all of their cookbooks and buy new ones. We would need new ovens and refrigerators. We would also need new thermostats, and new thermometers for taking body temperature.

So I like the idea of transitioning slowly to get everyone used to the metric system in everyday lives... the idea would to create a master plan and promise to implement by, say, 2018. That would begin the transitioning stage... so we would still live with vehicles with miles for a long time, and everyone would upgrade their appliances slowly. People who are cooking will be using cookbooks with both measurements listed, and they will have both sets of utensils.

I think that doing something like this is just such a low priority at this point... at least, politically.

the really funny part about what you are saying is that all cars with digital odometers already use kilometers and the computer converts the read out on the speedometer and odometer to miles. just about all cars made after the year 2000 use metric by default and have to be set to miles at the factory. some cars can even be changed from one to the other with the dash board buttons. Edited by SolidTwilight

the really funny part about what you are saying is that all cars with digital odometers already use kilometers and the computer converts the read out on the speedometer and odometer to miles. just about all cars made after the year 2000 use metric by default and have to be set to miles at the factory. some cars can even be changed from one to the other with the dash board buttons.

Oh really. I have a 2007 car and I can't say that I've noticed that I'd be able to change my mileage to kilometers. I suppose I'll have to look harder. It is digital so I don't think that it would be that difficult.

I still don't think that we'd be able to change to metric overnight, though, for other reasons.

You go into Canada and see that sign that says 100 km/h and you go, "Sweet, I can drive 100!" Well, no, no you can't. Canadian speed limits are so friggin slow.

I have dealt with various Math classes and I attempted a Chemistry class this Fall semester.  I think things would be a lot easier for us all if we used the metric system in place of the imperial system for most things, the only exception I can think of being temperature.  Also, make it a gradual change, then it should be a safe change.

I think it would be a good idea to use the metric system. Not only is it more neat than the imperial system (why on earth is a foot twelve inches?), but it would make it easier for public relations, which also use the metric system.

Honestly yes, the Metric system, while I will be entirely honest, I don't really know how it works at the moment very well, and I would have trouble converting over to using it as opposed to our imperial system(that's what our system is called I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.) but honestly looking at what I do know, it makes much more sense, and being honest again, I don't really entirely understand the imperial system either. Where as the metric system in what I do know, seems to have logic, like 0 being freezing, and 100 being boiling, opposed to 32 being freezing and 212 being boiling, which makes really no sense besides the fact it's been taught to me and I know it. But just because I know it doesn't mean it's logical.

There's also the fact that literally like every country aside from the U.S uses it(I think there may be 1 or 2 who don't, but most use the metric system aside from the U.S) and thus anytime I'm speaking to someone from another country, we have a barrier of sorts in which I don't understand the metric system entirely and the conversions required to think about things, and they don't understand how to convert to imperial or anything either, so we just end up being confused most times.

However, while the metric system does make much more sense, and in theory it would be more beneficial to have in the U.S, switching over to the metric system from the imperial system wouldn't be an easy task. I mean, for instance, everyone, myself included, who is involved in school right now would suddenly have to use the metric system, which would be weird and confusing for many, and then there's those who are out of school, and already learned the imperial system, and thus are so use to using that they won't be very willing to try and change and learn a new system.

And then there will just be people who don't like it, for whatever reason, and refuse to switch, causing a divide and possibly more confusion. 

So in practice, I think it would be better if the U.S used the metric system, but unfortunately the process of switching over would prove problematic mostlikely.

• 1 month later...