Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you want the United States to use the metric system?

SolidTwilight

do you want america to use the metric system?  

105 users have voted

1. 1. do you want america to use the metric system?

• Yes
    • No
    • what's a metric?

i am bad at math so nope for me

I don't think you under stand how the metric system works

2400 meters is 2.4 kilometers

2400 yards is 1.36363364 miles

if your bad at math how wold it be harder to use the metric system over the one we use now?

• Brohoof 11

It would take some time to get used to, at least for me.

However, I've heard it's a bit easier to use since it's based on a powers of 10 system. Besides, most other countries in the world use it (all but 3), which makes it a more international standard.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think you under stand how the metric system works

2400 meters is 2.4 kilometers

2400 yards is 1.36363364 miles

if your bad at math how wold it be harder to use the metric system over the one we use now?

lets say somepony took special ed at school there hole life and never learned how metric system works

• Brohoof 1

I would be sad because then all those years of learning and getting used to the US system would be for nothing. :(

I mean, I would understand the logic behind it, because as many others have pointed out, the metric system makes a whole lot more sense.

But the illogical, stubborn side of me would be like "NO. I DON'T WANNA STOP USING INCHES. BECAUSE OF.... REASONS."

• Brohoof 7

I would be sad because then all those years of learning and getting used to the US system would be for nothing. :(

I mean, I would understand the logic behind it, because as many others have pointed out, the metric system makes a whole lot more sense.

But the illogical, stubborn side of me would be like "NO. I DON'T WANNA STOP USING INCHES. BECAUSE OF.... REASONS."

There wouldn't be anyone holding a gun to your head forcing you to use it, a fair number of people in Canada are still using imperial. A slowly dwindling demographic, but still there.

• Brohoof 2

I would be more in favour of the United States switching over to the metric system instead of the imperial measurements. This would eliminate rather unnecessary conversions and have everything be universal for once. The only thing I wish to actually keep, would be the Fahrenheit temperature scale. Celsius may be good in that it uses the Base 10, but the concept for Fahrenheit garners stronger use. It was originally designed to detail comfort for the human body, with 0-100 degree Fahrenheit being "bearable" by the human body and anything more or less beyond that range and the entire human body would start going into a frenzy and break down.

Do like the names of the imperial measurements though. :3

• Brohoof 3

I think it would do better than what system we use now. In a certain way. Sometimes we need to know what the thousandth number would be in making certain projects. Such as weapon designing. In that case, if you're just a thousandths of an inch off, the gun could malfunction. Not saying I'm an Imperial measurement supporter, just staying that it can save a life. By a thousandth of an inch.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
I would be more in favour of the United States switching over to the metric system instead of the imperial measurements. This would eliminate rather unnecessary conversions and have everything be universal for once. The only thing I wish to actually keep, would be the Fahrenheit temperature scale. Celsius may be good in that it uses the Base 10, but the concept for Fahrenheit garners stronger use. It was originally designed to detail comfort for the human body, with 0-100 degree Fahrenheit being "bearable" by the human body and anything more or less beyond that range and the entire human body would start going into a frenzy and break down.

Well, the Celsius system has been created with reference to the freezing and boiling points of water (0 being the freezing point and 100 being the boiling point).

The Fahrenheit system puts the freezing and boiling points of water at 32 and 212 respectively and I fail to understand the logic behind that. 

My favorite system is the Kelvin, but you know....

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 7

Ok, maybe it's a bad decision to continue using our current system, instead of the easier one that the rest of the world uses, But we're Americans. We don't quit just because we're wrong, we just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.

• Brohoof 3

I, as an American, would LOVE it if we switched to the Metric System, everything about it makes much more sense, everything in the Metric system is related, as everything is based on something essential for life, water.

When measuring water, 1 milliliter is 1 cubic centimeter and it weighs 1 gram.

And temperature is based off of water as well, freezing and boiling.

Simple! ^^

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'd be down for it, but I can imagine that switching over will be a challenge.

Imagine American-based architectural firms having to switch over to the metric system.

Edited by Teller
  • Brohoof 2

Yes.

Having to switch between two different measurement systems is a pain in the flank, and switching one country to metric simply makes more sense then trying to switch every other country to imperial.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It would be great if USA starts using a metric system. Now whenever I'm describing any height, weight or distance, I can't use numbers I know - I must calculate them into feet, pounds, miles etc. to make you understanding what am I writing about.

Yes, in Poland we use the metric system.

Maybe this isn't a big deal, because in internet there are special calculators, but the problem is when I have to understand how much is 1 mile when I'm doing something - for example driving somewhere in any game.

Edited by Linds
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I personally think that we should adopt the Metric system. The Imperial system has gotten old and the U.S. is one of only three countries in the entire world that still uses the Imperial system.

The Metric system is much easier to use and converting between the two systems is an absolute pain.

Edited by SomeMaineBrony
  • Brohoof 2

I know there are problems with changing a system, especially on this scale. But I only have one objection: the first knuckle on my index finger is exactly one inch, easy and convenient! :P

...yes we should switch

• Brohoof 2

This one really isn't fair because there are a lot of people here who are not from the USA telling us to change to metric and that is not, I believe, the purpose of the poll.

I am not a fan of metric.  The units just aren't as useful in everyday situations.  They are made for science by scientists.

Well, for me, it is of little consequence...BUT I do prefer the metric system over the imperial system.

I say that because when I was learning both systems back in my schooling days, I adapted to the metric system quite easily while the imperial system...ALWAYS confounded. I failed many a tests based on that system. >_<