Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do YOU Think of School?

Celestial Panzerhund

Well, I sometimes think they waste time... sometimes. We spend several hours a day there, doing absolutely random topics about things we really don't need to learn. Since we spend hours over at the school, we're all tired from the strange ways of the school, we want to get home... then the teacher says: "HAY! HOMEWORK!" and give us an extra 2-3 hours more of work for home! I can understand that if the person needs help in a certain subject, they can do some work at home. At least 10-30 minutes of it, not hours. We already had enough of school from the morning, to afternoon, we don't need more. When were done with school, that's our time to have the rest of the day to ourselves!

What should schools really do? I think that if you know what career you want, the school should let us focus on that, show us how it is, and see if we REALLY want that career. Those who don't know yet should get options.  I plan mechanical engineering. I'm about to do precision manufacturing when my summer break is done. I'm excited for it! What I'm not excited for, is the time and pace of school. It's really a drag. Adding in the extra circular activities makes it even worse. Sure once you get into the flow of it, it isn't that bad, but it gets to be a bother since it's always the same thing; everyday, just different tests.

What I question is: Why not show us what jobs are out there? Teach us the real things we need to be taught.  Not-"Okay, now for your final project, do a research on what ever you want that is history!" I did one on PanzerKampFwagen. Spent three weeks working on it, only to get an F-!!! I researched that because it had to do with engineering and it was about WWII tanks(If you didn't realize, that's the only reason I love WWII tanks).

That annoyed me so...

For those who had a TL;DR: Why can't school just let us focus on what we want and not on crap that won't do us good in the future? Be shorter, less homework, and let us focus on a career we want and those who can't make a choice have options on what they want as a career.

Should schools focus on specifics such as career choices? Teach us that career to see if we'll like it? Research it, study it, get hands-on experience with it, etc.?

What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I suppose people nowadays aren't interested in pure enlightenment.

If people want to go straight to the workforce, all they need to do is drop out and read instruction manuals.

Teachers assign homework because they're not able to convey the entire day's worth of lesson in one period. Basically, if a teacher has to assign homework, they are not good instructors.

Edited by Teller
  • Brohoof 3

I don't know what subjects you're taking or what class / education you're at, but i think you're narrowing down your thinking. In terms of Homework, i'll tell it to you straight - there are subjects which you will never be able to master without rigorous practice. To pass exam in various mathematical subjects, a winning strategy is to familiarize yourself with as many problems as you know - because then you apply the solutions from one problem, to a similar problem.

It's not just that. Modern education nowadays (at least most of the models that i know of) has adopted a philosophy of broad education. Whether you're taking classes in high-school, or even pursuing professional education, in a college or a university, you'll sometimes be exposed to materials which don't correlate with your profession / career choice. This is done in order to temper and broaden your intellect and general knowledge.

• Brohoof 4

I suppose people nowadays aren't interested in pure enlightenment.

If people want to go straight to the workforce, all they need to do is drop out and read instruction manuals.

If responsible enough, why not? Teens are already doing work to pay off bills because economy is now getting worse and trying to support their family. I have a friend trying his best to help his parents get out of the hole they are in.

I don't know what subjects you're taking or what class / education you're at, but i think you're narrowing down your thinking. In terms of Homework, i'll tell it to you straight - there are subjects which you will never be able to master without rigorous practice. To pass exam in various mathematical subjects, a winning strategy is to familiarize yourself with as many problems as you know - because then you apply the solutions from one problem, to a similar problem.

It's not just that. Modern education nowadays (at least most of the models that i know of) has adopted a philosophy of broad education. Whether you're taking classes in high-school, or even pursuing professional education, in a college or a university, you'll sometimes be exposed to materials which don't correlate with your profession / career choice. This is done in order to temper and broaden your intellect and general knowledge.

I know that we all have flaws in certain subject *cough cough* graphing y=mx+b and practicing it; I support. That's where homework should come in. To practice the subjects that are you are not strong in. 

Think of education until high school as a testing ground. Students take the subjects and can see what it is they like and don't like. 

You already know what you want to do in your future and that's great since you get to save a lot of time, but there are many students who have no idea what they want to do. If they are forced to choose a career early on only to find that they don't actually like it, then it will be much harder for them to switch since they wouldn't have learned what is required for another career.

This is why everyone is taught the same thing at the beginning. Students get the foundation education and once they reach 10th or 11th grade, when they supposedly have a better understanding of who they are, they get to choose the career they want to study in college.

Regarding homework, I know it's  pain on the behind but it is necessary to apply what you learned in class so that you can master the subject. Already mastered it? Then it should only take minutes to complete. 

I always compared homework to a dentist appointment. I know its good for me but I don't wanna do it.  :P

I know that we all have flaws in certain subject *cough cough* graphing y=mx+b and practicing it; I support. That's where homework should come in. To practice the subjects that are you are not strong in. 

Normally, that would be a right way of thinking. But it goes a little beyond that. First of all, you have to consider that you're not the first one to come to these conclusions. Try putting yourself in your teacher's shoes - the current systems of education were made by experts after all. Consider those teachers that love seeing motivation - by showing them dedication and completing your tasks you express just what they're looking for. Besides, there's nothing wrong with improving in an area you're already good at. In academia for examaple, professors can sometimes test you on materials you have not even encountered (and then the whole class fails spectacularly - trust me, i know), because they expect you to express passion and initiative in learning.

Less technical subjects can make for an interesting read either way, homework in history for instance can be actually interesting and generally improve your casual knowledge.

I see where you're coming from - you're itching to burst out there and study what motivates you (which isn't bad, you should always express passion towards a certain field of interests). But this isn't the point of most educational systems nowadays. They don't just wish to train a professional, they want to leave you with an impression of general knowledge.

(edited)

I think everything from junior high and below is good. That teaches the bare basic skills you need to go about anywhere with a mind set more along the lines of learning for the sake of learning. High school is a freaking mess where the most important thing is the grade. It really doesn't matter how you get there or what you actually learn along the way, you need a good grade to get to a good university/college.

One thing that annoys me the most is how broad everything is. You're learning english, history, auto repair, programming, biology, physics, german, geology and general maths in the span of a year. Focusing on one subject area once we reach this point might be in the best interest for everyone. Hell, why don't we just make grade 9 a designated period for students to really think about what they want to do with their life? That way when they come back, they can choose a "path" of sorts that leads to their career area. If they make a wrong choice, they can just take an intensive program provided by the college/university to bring them up to speed.

(note, this is just an example and is hardly perfect. I thought about this for a grand total of two minutes.)

As for homework, do it. It really does help memory retention. It got me from being a math moron to a 90+ student.

Edited by Celtore

(edited)

Well, I'll start this off my saying that I'm a teacher, so I may be biased... ;) But I am a new teacher, only in my second year of full-time employment, so I still remember what it's like to be a student like it was yesterday.

Why can't school just let us focus on what we want and not on crap that won't do us good in the future?

I feel like a school system structured around career choice in this way would work for some kids, but certainly not all kids. I acknowledge that some kids would really benefit from learning about specific job skills as early as middle school or early high school. I certainly could have benefited from a program like that, since I've always been a gifted student and I always knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. A focus should definitely be put on optional career-readiness programs for students who want to participate, without a doubt!

But honestly, not all kids would benefit from this "pick and choose" system. Some kids think school subjects are "useless" when they are really not. To put it bluntly, kids like to think they know everything when they simply don't due to their age and lack of real world experience. For example, I'm a reading teacher, and many of my kids have said, "This class is dumb and I'll never use it!" But that's not because my subject area is useless (literacy is one of the most powerful skills a person can have, but that's a whole other argument). The kids just think it's useless because they don't like reading. Kids equate fun and enjoyment with usefulness all the time, which is not correct. Not enjoying something doesn't make something useless. I hated math with a passion as a child, and I constantly was like "BLAH BLAH BLAH I'LL NEVER USE THIS!!!" But ultimately, I'm glad people forced me to get some skill with it - I'd be an awfully less well-rounded and less skilled individual if I hadn't. Therefore, I think there's some value in forcing kids to do things they don't want to do and learn things they wouldn't necessarily go out and learn on their own.

I also believe that "pick and choose" programs would not benefit kids who are unsure of their career path. I teach in an urban, high-poverty area, and most of the kids really have no clue what they want to do in the future. All they worry about is getting by day to day, really. If I said, "Alright kids, here's some career programs. Pick what you want to do for the rest of your life!" the majority of kids would be like, "Psssh, I don't know what I want to do. This is stupid. I don't want to do anything. I'm not good at anything." It would be too intimidating. I think these type of kids benefit from a more well-rounded school curriculum where they're exposed to a number of various content areas and skills because they are still finding themselves and need to see what all is out there.

Be shorter

It's already really, really hard to fit the important content into the time slots that we have right now. Plus, school's not even that long - comparably, it's about as long as it would be if you had a full-time job, and it's good to get used to being focused for that long. I think keeping kids in school is vastly important. For some kids, they do absolutely nothing useful outside school - they just sit around unsupervised and get into trouble. Longer school days keep them occupied and give parents time to work. But there are some compromises available. For instance, I know some schools schedule their time so that one special day of the week is shorter than the others. One of the schools in our district makes Wednesdays an hour and a half shorter, just for a little reprieve. That might be good if the kids need some relief - I wouldn't be opposed to something like that.

less homework

Homework is very beneficial as long is it isn't useless busy work. There's tons of research out there saying that kids who do homework at night or read outside of school are way more likely to comprehend the content, remember it in the longterm, and get better grades. Students doing independent work is the only true way teachers can see if they understand the content fully and are ready to move on. I'm all for getting rid of stupid, meaningless homework, but it's dangerous to have a negative attitude toward homework as a whole. Most of the time, it does have a purpose. Is it stressful? Yup. But "stressful" is not always synonymous with "bad for you."

I mean, I know where you're coming from. I thought the same stuff when I was younger. I complained, cried, threw fits, and called my teachers stupid all the time. But now that I'm older, and now that I see things from a teacher's point of view, I see why we make kids do the work. I feel like, in retrospect, I really grew up and became the person I am because my teachers and my parents made learning a priority in my life. Kids need that. I don't think we're going to get anywhere as a society by having a more cavalier approach to school. I think more options are definitely a good idea, but we shouldn't lessen the expectations.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 3

At the lower levels (ie most american public schooling levels) it is entirely necessary in order to get to a higher education should the person in question wish to pursue it. Primary schools like that do need some re-structuring,  as they are rather lacking in modern courses and knowledge, courses that would benefit people more in the modern age of information and near intelligent machinery. However, unlike most modern academics, I do not think that college degrees are needed for all peoples. Today's modern workforce is becoming ever more technical and technical, and less degrees are actually being used than ever before. This giant push to get a college degree rather than have the average person attend a trade school in order to become technically proficient enough to be employed in that field is what has created the massive student debt. People are pushed to college, and end up with a womens studies degree, or a degree in ham sandwich making and stay in debt due to the unemployability factor of their now super specialized skill. So while I view primary schools as very important, secondary schools (ie college) are not nessicary for the population as a whole, as all it does is create a education economic inflation, and leaves your populace with degrees in pony literature, instead of the welders it needs.

• Brohoof 1

Well, all I can say that is that while school isn't perfect (and this is true especially in rural areas like where I live), you go through schooling for a reason. We're meant to engage ourselves in various practices to ready ourselves for what we may choose to become.

While I certainly didn't appreciate all the classes I had in high school & below and SOME things were pure busy work, it did help to prepare me for college at least.

I can't say much as I'm not a teacher, but I don't have much qualms with schooling now that I am older.

I feel like they're just teaching you a little bit of everything since some people actually don't know what they want to be when they grow up cough cough (me) cough cough. So it's actually a good thing.

to be honest, i absolutely despised school, but now that i am at university i can absolutely say that school is the best things in your life. look at where the people who never pay attention in school actually are, and the ones who do. 

Think of education until high school as a testing ground. Students take the subjects and can see what it is they like and don't like. 

You already know what you want to do in your future and that's great since you get to save a lot of time, but there are many students who have no idea what they want to do. If they are forced to choose a career early on only to find that they don't actually like it, then it will be much harder for them to switch since they wouldn't have learned what is required for another career.

This is why everyone is taught the same thing at the beginning. Students get the foundation education and once they reach 10th or 11th grade, when they supposedly have a better understanding of who they are, they get to choose the career they want to study in college.

Regarding homework, I know it's  pain on the behind but it is necessary to apply what you learned in class so that you can master the subject. Already mastered it? Then it should only take minutes to complete. 

I always compared homework to a dentist appointment. I know its good for me but I don't wanna do it.  :P

1. About the career thing. That's why they have options. If they can't find it, then they still have plenty of others to chose from. 

2. Homework. Where I come from, even if mastered, it still takes a long time to complete. Especially math. 

3. That is a funny to put the homework! XD

Normally, that would be a right way of thinking. But it goes a little beyond that. First of all, you have to consider that you're not the first one to come to these conclusions. Try putting yourself in your teacher's shoes - the current systems of education were made by experts after all. Consider those teachers that love seeing motivation - by showing them dedication and completing your tasks you express just what they're looking for. Besides, there's nothing wrong with improving in an area you're already good at. In academia for examaple, professors can sometimes test you on materials you have not even encountered (and then the whole class fails spectacularly - trust me, i know), because they expect you to express passion and initiative in learning.

Less technical subjects can make for an interesting read either way, homework in history for instance can be actually interesting and generally improve your casual knowledge.

I see where you're coming from - you're itching to burst out there and study what motivates you (which isn't bad, you should always express passion towards a certain field of interests). But this isn't the point of most educational systems nowadays. They don't just wish to train a professional, they want to leave you with an impression of general knowledge.

Some teachers don't really do such "motivation". For example: Mississippi. It has the WORST educational system there. They say that there are no stupid questions? Pfffha! Because of those teachers there, I fear to ask questions! They made me feel dumb, and the teacher over there even allowed bullying! Made me feel even more stupid and almost driven me to suicide. 

History is fun to read at certain occasions (depends on your taste of the time in history) and I can agree that homework can expand the knowledge just a bit, but it still gets in the way of the main course of life.

And you're right, I do want to study what motivates me, plus I also know that the education wants to leave impressions of general knowledge as well, which is why they should have smaller classes (at least 20 minutes) to teach you other things that are a bit minor, instead of such big classes that have 45-1 hour of nothing but that minor knowledge.

One thing that annoys me the most is how broad everything is. You're learning english, history, auto repair, programming, biology, physics, german, geology and general maths in the span of a year. Focusing on one 

I dunno where you are, but if your school teaches German, I wanna go there, plus the auto repair and programming as well as Physics is a plus.  ;)

Well, I'll start this off my saying that I'm a teacher, so I may be biased... ;) But I am a new teacher, only in my second year of full-time employment, so I still remember what it's like to be a student like it was yesterday.

I feel like a school system structured around career choice in this way would work for some kids, but certainly not all kids. I acknowledge that some kids would really benefit from learning about specific job skills as early as middle school or early high school. I certainly could have benefited from a program like that, since I've always been a gifted student and I always knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. A focus should definitely be put on optional career-readiness programs for students who want to participate, without a doubt!

But honestly, not all kids would benefit from this "pick and choose" system. Some kids think school subjects are "useless" when they are really not. To put it bluntly, kids like to think they know everything when they simply don't due to their age and lack of real world experience. For example, I'm a reading teacher, and many of my kids have said, "This class is dumb and I'll never use it!" But that's not because my subject area is useless (literacy is one of the most powerful skills a person can have, but that's a whole other argument). The kids just think it's useless because they don't like reading. Kids equate fun and enjoyment with usefulness all the time, which is not correct. Not enjoying something doesn't make something useless. I hated math with a passion as a child, and I constantly was like "BLAH BLAH BLAH I'LL NEVER USE THIS!!!" But ultimately, I'm glad people forced me to get some skill with it - I'd be an awfully less well-rounded and less skilled individual if I hadn't. Therefore, I think there's some value in forcing kids to do things they don't want to do and learn things they wouldn't necessarily go out and learn on their own.

I also believe that "pick and choose" programs would not benefit kids who are unsure of their career path. I teach in an urban, high-poverty area, and most of the kids really have no clue what they want to do in the future. All they worry about is getting by day to day, really. If I said, "Alright kids, here's some career programs. Pick what you want to do for the rest of your life!" the majority of kids would be like, "Psssh, I don't know what I want to do. This is stupid. I don't want to do anything. I'm not good at anything." It would be too intimidating. I think these type of kids benefit from a more well-rounded school curriculum where they're exposed to a number of various content areas and skills because they are still finding themselves and need to see what all is out there.

It's already really, really hard to fit the important content into the time slots that we have right now. Plus, school's not even that long - comparably, it's about as long as it would be if you had a full-time job, and it's good to get used to being focused for that long. I think keeping kids in school is vastly important. For some kids, they do absolutely nothing useful outside school - they just sit around unsupervised and get into trouble. Longer school days keep them occupied and give parents time to work. But there are some compromises available. For instance, I know some schools schedule their time so that one special day of the week is shorter than the others. One of the schools in our district makes Wednesdays an hour and a half shorter, just for a little reprieve. That might be good if the kids need some relief - I wouldn't be opposed to something like that.

Homework is very beneficial as long is it isn't useless busy work. There's tons of research out there saying that kids who do homework at night or read outside of school are way more likely to comprehend the content, remember it in the longterm, and get better grades. Students doing independent work is the only true way teachers can see if they understand the content fully and are ready to move on. I'm all for getting rid of stupid, meaningless homework, but it's dangerous to have a negative attitude toward homework as a whole. Most of the time, it does have a purpose. Is it stressful? Yup. But "stressful" is not always synonymous with "bad for you."

I mean, I know where you're coming from. I thought the same stuff when I was younger. I complained, cried, threw fits, and called my teachers stupid all the time. But now that I'm older, and now that I see things from a teacher's point of view, I see why we make kids do the work. I feel like, in retrospect, I really grew up and became the person I am because my teachers and my parents made learning a priority in my life. Kids need that. I don't think we're going to get anywhere as a society by having a more cavalier approach to school. I think more options are definitely a good idea, but we shouldn't lessen the expectations.

1. That's why they have many options. If they don't like one, they can have the other. So on and so forth. Sometimes school does teach useless things. My teacher made us to useless essays. It was a chore to do because of how we needed to do 3,000 word essay on what we did and didn't like about a book. It's what Twilight would do! I'm not like that!

2. I can agree with the hour in a half thing. My school does that on Wednesday as well, minus the 30 minute part. If it's hard to fit in the important parts, why not do those first?

3. That research was with kids that had 10-30 minutes of homework. Where I am, we get 3-5 HOURS of work. So the useless part of that paragraph... yeah... try over clocking. The stress I know is good, in fact, it actually helps me out a bit. Get more creative with things

4. I'm not trying to complain, just showing what I think of school. Sometimes I think there just has to be a bit more for those who already know what they are going to do. That's what school is there for. Right? To teach us small (important) things that can help us get an understanding of what career we want. Those who already know (like me) just sees school as another chore.

• Brohoof 1

My only interest in school was for qualifications to attend University which in turn would lead me to a profession.  If I want to learn something for the sake of knowledge, I'd read books or surf the internet.  To me, it is the little knowledge that I use that is more important than the vast amount that serves no major purpose.  Whenever I hear about a student cheating, it makes me think that the school focuses more on grades than it does on learning.  I think it's important to be a well rounded individual but I don't want to risk my grades over something that I am not going to need for my career.  I hate homework and prefer instead to do revision and practice that wouldn't reduce my grades.  I can't wait till I have my qualifications so I can start making money and enjoy my life.

A. The teachers wouldn't put so much emphasis on standardized tests which waste everyone's time.

Trust me, the teachers hate the standardized tests just as much as you, if not more. They're forced to do them and they have no say in the matter - it's all state mandated :( The saddest part is that the teachers are then judged by how well the kids do, and the teachers get negative consequences if the kids don't do well.

• Brohoof 3

The entire problem with the school system is really this "one-size-fits-all" industrial-era model that it's run by. Most of the problems I see with it could be resolved if the aptitude of the individual student is taken into account rather than the rigid standardized testing system and pre-defined curricula even for higher-performing students.

In NY, we have a Regents diploma, and an Advanced Regents diploma. I graduated only a few credits short of an Advanced Regents thanks to being forced to take extra English and Math classes (when I should have been taking a foreign language) that I was told I would probably have been able to test out of when I was in middle school. Even worse, they counted as "elective" credits, basically meaning that they took time away from training towards a career to do this.

College is little better. Most of the first few years of it are spent taking core requirements which mirror a high school curriculum and take time and money away from your major. Not allowing students who perform high in these fields to be matched to the appropriate class is especially troubling in today's days of running up mega student loan debts.

The main problem is that our school system is, now more than ever, geared towards turning out jacks-of-all-trades in an age where specialists are in demand. We need to stop turning out people with only general skills and start respecting individual talents to help students find their suitable field.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I would like it a lot more if:

A. The teachers wouldn't put so much emphasis on standardized tests which waste everyone's time.

B. If there weren't so many idiots around.

C. If the workload wasn't as heavy or massive.

Tru dat bro... tru dat...

My only interest in school was for qualifications to attend University which in turn would lead me to a profession.  If I want to learn something for the sake of knowledge, I'd read books or surf the internet.  To me, it is the little knowledge that I use that is more important than the vast amount that serves no major purpose.  Whenever I hear about a student cheating, it makes me think that the school focuses more on grades than it does on learning.  I think it's important to be a well rounded individual but I don't want to risk my grades over something that I am not going to need for my career.  I hate homework and prefer instead to do revision and practice that wouldn't reduce my grades.  I can't wait till I have my qualifications so I can start making money and enjoy my life.

*Sees your signature*

*Reads your post*

Here's my wisdom: "I do not need a piece of paper to make or break my future." 

Trust me, the teachers hate the standardized tests just as much as you, if not more. They're forced to do them and they have no say in the matter - it's all state mandated :( The saddest part is that the teachers are then judged by how well the kids do, and the teachers get negative consequences if the kids don't do well.

Students are just like the teachers. We get judged too. Make a bad grade? "Ha, this kid is stupid, he is such a waste of organs and air." That was said to me one day.

help students find their suitable field.

Making fries at Mc Donalds. Sorry I had to.

:squee:

Edited by Gamma Wave of Wubs

*Sees your signature*

*Reads your post*

Here's my wisdom: "I do not need a piece of paper to make or break my future." 

I really need that piece of paper so I can get many green papers.

Making fries at Mc Donalds. Sorry I had to.

:squee:

Seriously? Our school system is so screwed up that not even McDonald's wants anything to do with me! And that's with honors and internship experience!

On the contrary, it could work, too. Just not if you were forced to make a certain choice at a certain time.

I've had the opposite happen to me thanks to the current school system. I once had clear-cut talents and goals but have had them cleaned out thanks to standardized testing and the times I've gotten screwed over by the school system. Now they've pretty much killed any motivation I have to succeed.

A round of applause to the higher-ups with ulterior motives for achieving their goal.

mlfw5384-RainbowDashclap.gif

Seriously? Our school system is so screwed up that not even McDonald's wants anything to do with me! And that's with honors and internship experience!

Maybe you're to good for the job then?

I like how were discussing this, and I see the ad on top of the screen showing: "Considering online public school?"

I had a really tough time with education so far for just about every aspect. The homework, studying, tests, social life, transportation, and teachers. School's not fun for me. 

Maybe you're to good for the job then?

No, I either don't hear back or I get those generic rejection letters every time. It's not just McDonald's. It's pretty much every single job I qualify for. I guess living in one of the most densely-populated and competitive job markets doesn't help either.