• Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
    • Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
    • Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
    • Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots
    • Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
    • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
    • Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes
    • Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain
    • All Story related games(Seeing answers above)
    • One or more of the non-story related ones(Like Portable Ops+ etc.)
    • All non-related ones
    • Doesn't matter, Metal Gear is always awesome!

I picked the last one because I love Metal Gear in general, but in the entire series Snake Eater has always been my favorite

The first Metal Gear Solid game was absolutely amazing for its time. Sons of Liberty was okay-ish, but Snake Eater was pretty much the best out of all of them. Guns of the Patriots had ridiculously long cinematics, cutscenes, etc.

BUT GROUND ZEROES WAS A TOTAL RIP OFF! :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: The opinions stated in this post don't necessarily reflect my opinions as of today.

I haven't played MGS1, but I kind of know the basic premise of it.

I liked MGS2's story the most. I thought it was cleverly done. Sure Raiden isn't as badass as Snake, but that's not the point of the game. The only thing I didn't like about it was the amount of trial and error.

MGS3 had the best gameplay. CQC is fun to use, you get to mess with the guards, and I like the feeling of survival added to the game. The story was pretty good too.

MGS4 has it's share problems. It's existence ruins the intentional ambiguity of MGS2. It's the most linear game in the series, with a heavy focus on the story. Surivial has been removed, in favour of the psyche gauge. You can't interrogate guards anymore. Nanomachines is arguably an overused cop-out plot device. The bosses don't have anything to do with the story. The game is very fan service hefty.

That being said, there are still things I like about it, particularly Snake coming to terms with dying.

I know that the series was meant to end at MGS2, but I still like MGS4 for what it offers.

Edited by SpaceOnion

Metal Gear Solid 3 is simply amazing. It's somewhat ridiculous sure but it's the best one imo. :D

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was my first Metal Gear game though, which I also really really enjoyed. :)

I haven't played any others yet actually... but plan to in timeline order eventually. :wacko:

• 1 year later...

Metal Gear Solid is a classic and I think Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons Of Liberty is a worthy sequel.

I also liked Metal Gear Acid and Metal Gear Acid 2 on the PSP (even though they're unpopular).

I also liked Metal Gear Solid on Game Boy Color.

Edited by therockarooster

You done the equivalent of asking a parent to chose their favorite child.

I loved MGS2 for it's message about passing the torch and how important the free exchange of ideas is.

I loved MGS3 because Subsistence was the first MGS game to use the third-person camera and marked an evolution in gameplay. Young Ocelot was also awesome.

I loved MGS4 because of the beautiful way it wrapped up Snake's story.

I'm loving MGS5 for it's beautiful graphics and bringing the open-world concept into play. 

• Brohoof 1

Peacewalker is the only one I came closest to completely beating (Devloped everything I could, Metal Gear Zeke with PW head and legs, S in everything EXCEPT the last perfect stealth which yields the stealth camo (kept A-ing it, damn)

I liked all of the story related ones story wise, but I'll keep Phantom Pain on waiting list. Maybe I'm suffering Kojima-san induced paranoia, but I feel like Kojima-san is going to play all of us like the biggest damn fiddle ever.

Never be game over

Metal Gear Solid 3. As difficult of a choice that this is, I feel like 3 just hit's all of the right notes in every possible area. The combat is fantastic, the atmosphere of the entire game is spot on, the bosses are all wonderful, the camo system is immensely cool, the stamina/eating systems are a cool addition, not to mention the absolutely amazing cold war scenario and story to go with it. Also, The End, coolest boss fight ever. Well, one of them. Seeing the origin story of Big Boss unfold was one of my favorite gaming experiences so I have to choose this one. 

Metal Gear Solid 1 is very close behind this one though. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've played them all, from worst to best:

Peace Walker- the gameplay's not bad and the cutscenes are in a cool style but... from there it's just bleh. It's like a MGS/Monster Hunter mutant baby and while I like both individually together it just don't sit right with me.

MGS4- good game, great cutscenes, but... a lot of cutscenes. Like too many. Better movie than a game really. The boss battles are awesome tho(yes, I mean all of them)

MGS2- really cool game but not the best one... the plant isn't a very interesting environment. Also has cool boss fights and too many cutscenes like 4 but there's a lot more gameplay.

MGS3- it's a great prequel, maybe the best ever. Can't deny that ending either... also, you created a Time Paradox!!!

Metal Gear Solid/Twin Snakes- I consider them one, enjoyed the original a little more though. Just a classic. What was that noise?

Rising Revengeance- is this a real Metal Gear game? Aw who cares, Raiden character action game ftw. Nanomachines, son!

MGSV GZ/TPP- yes the newest one is the best one imo. The MUCH more subtle story, the immaculate gameplay you gets tons of more than ever, open world, long length, I even love the stuff that happens at the end of the game even if it could've been wrapped up a lot more. They saved the best for last! :D

Snake Eater I think is the game where stealth is the most important to the gameplay. It was required because you didn't have a radar and lacked all the super advance gadgetry that Otacon was pulling out of his ass in 4. The techniques you learned like knocking on walls, hanging, etc actually needed to be used. It's still a bit of a cop out to have the tranquiliser gun, it makes things too easy. The story wasn't overly contrived (although admittedly I didn't understand it at the time) like the deep end they jumped off in 2 and 4. After that my favourite was MGS 1, before the added mechanics and story became too much.