Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dreaming about Ponies.

I tend to have  a bunch of MLP related dreams through out the week....or at least some referencing MLP....I also sleep with a Fluttershy plush every night...and every night before I fall asleep I kiss her.I guess that contributes to my reason for having MLP related dreams.

I had one last night...It revolved around World War Z, since i watched it before bedtime....but through out the dream, I remember protecting Fluttershy...I could hear her screaming....I kept saying to her "Don't worry, I'll keep you safe, love." I remember eventually getting bit by a zombie, after I had sent her off to a safe zone....I had kissed her goodbye and told her I loved her, just before I got bit....and the moment I got bit, was the moment I woke up from it....to which, I woke up with tears in my eyes. Which was kinda odd.

So my advice is think ponies, look at ponies and watch ponies before going to bed.Cuddle a pony plush if you've got one as well. it seems to work for me.

My dreams are usually sort of random pieces of my day put together. A few days ago I had two dreams in one night. First applejack made some sort of apple cider and stored in the fridge for me, then I drank it. A lot of it. It ended up having alcohol or something in it and it made me dizzy and I passed out. That dream was only relevant to me seeing a jug in the fridge and probably some video i saw with applejack in it. Although I am now shipped with Applejack because I shared that dream with a skype group. Now the second dream was relevant. I was really worried about starting my second year in highschool. I was outcasted due to something that wasn't my fault in 8th grade and I hated the thought of being alone. This dream also was related to the anime Soul Eater Not! which I was watching due to the relationship of the freshman in that show, plus the dream was also related to ponies, specifically scootaloo. The dream was basically the first day of school as a sophmore where I biked to school in a large biking group. When we arrived some guy in red started picking on two freshman pegasisters and I stood up for em, the bully left, and I finally wasn't alone. They didn't have names and all I can recall was one had black hair and one had brown. The black haired one I referred to as scootaloo because I believe we gave each other nicknames after the show and she had an MLP bike. The rest of the dream was basically walking around with them and then right before I woke up they left and I was mad at myself for not getting contact information. When I woke up I was in tears because it wasn't reality. Like everyone I have a tough life. But in conclusion; dreams often are fragments of your day put together. Honestly though I rarely dream and when I do it's because I'm troubled about something. In fact I believe my last thought before falling asleep was me being alone, so I think maybe thinking of what you want to dream about before you sleep may influence your dream.

This guide was written by Pr Stephen Laberge so you can rest assured it is reliable and has been proven effective.

My comrade, you're a God. You've solved my last god-knows-how-many-years long problem by posting that. Three nights later, three dreams which I've been able to make note of, and now I've had a twice-recurring dream of being Twilight Sparkle (And amusingly strange have they been.)

Don't just have a cookie, have the whole sodding warehouse!:D

Last night I swear I dreamt about ponies, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was actually about now. >.>

I remember Twilight Sparkle blew a hole in a wall though. That was pretty cool. xD

• 3 months later...

boiteporte, on 23 Jul 2014 - 9:03 PM, said:

Well, the most efficient way to dream about something specific is to trigger a lucid dream.

I wish it were that easy...

Unfortunately, being aware that you're dreaming doesn't necessarily mean being aware that you can influence the dream, or remembering what you planned to do when you get your dreaming awareness. This is because there are different things you can be aware of. I wonder who and why spreads this misinformation that lucid dreaming is equivalent to dream control, since this is completely false. I had many dreams where I had full control over the dream scenery, to the point I could change weather or reverse the time flow, but I didn't know that this was a dream. And vice versa: I had lucid dreams where I was fully aware I'm dreaming, but still I couldn't be able to fly or change anything, because it was too realistic, and it was like my mind couldn't believe I can change anything. Therefore, dreaming awareness and dream control are two separate things. It just happens that sometimes you are aware you're in a dream and you can influence the dream scenery at the same time. To influence the dream scenery, one needs to be aware of a different kind of thing: that one is in power of controlling the dream.

11111111111111111111, on 23 Jul 2014 - 7:49 PM, said:

Ok, so I want to start out by saying this is not a lucid dreaming thread, so If you are looking how to precisely control your dreams than this is not the thread for you. What I wan to know is how to make yourself dream about a certain subject, MLP for example.

You're lucky then, because lucid dreaming is not necessary for dream control, not to mention for dreaming on a particular theme. The thing you're looking for is called "dream incubation" (do a web search for this phrase to find out more). And there are many different methods for that. Here are some I know and I use:

1. Immersing yourself into that theme before you go to sleep.

Watching MLP episodes is a good start, but as you properly observed, it doesn't work so well, and here's why: MLP is a cartoon world, which is very different from your everyday life. It's not so easy to "tune in" yourself to that world. Can you imagine yourself being inside a cartoon world? If your answer was "yes", congratulations to your imagination. But I presume your answer was "not quite". Then you should rather need to practice your imagination instead of watching cartoons passively.

Moreover, when you're watching MLP, you're not there yourself, you're just watching it from the third-person perspective, as an omnipresent observer. This is also different from your everyday perspective, where you experience the world from the first person. I sometimes dream in third person, and those are movie-like dreams where I don't play a role, or play several different characters at the same time. But I suppose this is not the kind of dream you're looking for. You'd rather like to dream yourself into Equestria in your own person (or pony), am I right? Then again, you should rather exercise your imagination by imagining yourself as a pony in Equestria before you go to sleep.

It works better when you have an actual problem to solve there, or a mission to accomplish, something which involves your mind, your fantasy, and makes you excited about that. That's when emotion come to play, and emotions are the language of your subconscious mind. They will help you get into that dream.

But there's one more catch: Sometimes it works better if you stop thinking about that before you close your eyes and go to sleep. Why? Because the more you want to stop thinking about something, the more you actually think of it, but it moves the thought process into the subconscious level, which is where dreaming executes. If you think too much about the particular theme consciously, your conscious mind will be too much involved into it and you simply won't be able to fall asleep. From my own experience, it is better to stop thinking about the subject consciously, and just "have that thought somewhere in the back of your head", so to speak. I simply "feel" that thought shining there somewhere deep in my mind, I remember about them, but I don't pay attention to what it actually does. I just hold on to that thought when I fall asleep.

2. Using a tulpa / imaginary friend/servant to help you ;)

Sometimes I summon Twilight Sparkle or some other pony in my mindscape (similar to the loading program in "The Matrix" movie, but dark instead of white), and I talk with her there. I ask her to wait until I fall asleep and then go there, find me, and tell me that I'm in a dream (good lucid dreaming technique, by the way), and then she can turn me into a pony and teleport us both to Equestria. Sounds like a complicated plan, and it is: it only worked once for me so far. But it's at least worth to try.

3. Snapshot technique.

This one I invented myself, when I noticed that many things I dream about, are the things I didn't paid much attention during the day time, but I just "snapshotted" them by the corner of my eye, or I've seen them for a fraction of a moment. I suppose my subconscious dream records these events nevertheless, without me knowing, and then if there's something I should know of, it shows me these things in my dreams, so that they could reach into my awareness somehow. So I decided to use this mechanism for my advantage. Here's how:

Find some pictures and objects which reminds you about the subject you want to dream about, and put somewhere around you. Then, from time to time, look at them for a fraction of a second, and turn your head off of it again. When you look at them, you can also flash your eyelids as if you were making a photo and your eyelids were the shutter in a photo camera.

You can also find some software for subliminal programming. It is a software which runs in the background in your system, and from time to time, it flashes a previously set image on your screen for a fraction of a second, periodically. You don't pay much attention to it consciously, but your subconscious mind records these events and they can influence your subconscious thought process. (This technique is sometimes used in commercials, for bad.)

4. Dream symbol.

Think intensively about the subject of your dream, and during that, draw a unique symbol on the outside of your hand, preferably between your thumb and the index finger. Tell yourself that this symbol represent those thoughts and that it should remind you about them whenever you look at it. And do exactly that: Whenever you look at this mark on your hand (accidentally) during the day, recall your intention about dreaming that particular theme. Tell yourself that when you see this symbol in your dream, you should do the same.

And lastly, remember that dreams are more influenced by emotions than logical thinking. If you want to influence your dreams, use pictures, emotions, senses, instead of words, abstract thoughts or logical explanations.

Have a good time, and don't forget to share your dream with us here on this forum when you succeed ;)

I wish it were that easy... Unfortunately, being aware that you're dreaming doesn't necessarily mean being aware that you can influence the dream, or remembering what you planned to do when you get your dreaming awareness. This is because there are different things you can be aware of. I wonder who and why spreads this misinformation that lucid dreaming is equivalent to dream control, since this is completely false. I had many dreams where I had full control over the dream scenery, to the point I could change weather or reverse the time flow, but I didn't know that this was a dream. And vice versa: I had lucid dreams where I was fully aware I'm dreaming, but still I couldn't be able to fly or change anything, because it was too realistic, and it was like my mind couldn't believe I can change anything. Therefore, dreaming awareness and dream control are two separate things. It just happens that sometimes you are aware you're in a dream and you can influence the dream scenery at the same time. To influence the dream scenery, one needs to be aware of a different kind of thing: that one is in power of controlling the dream.

I do not remember saying anywhere that lucid dream and dream control were the same thing. 

I don't know I rarely have dreams.

That is not correct. You have dreams every night because it is the way the brain works. Unfortunately, you forget them.

Because it is hard to actually remember a basic dream. 

boiteporte, on 19 Nov 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

I do not remember saying anywhere that lucid dream and dream control were the same thing.

Sure, you didn't say that they're "the same thing". But you said (and let me quote it again):

boiteporte said:

Well, the most efficient way to dream about something specific is to trigger a lucid dream.

and that's what I'm referring to in my reply.

First, triggering a lucid dream is not necessarily the most efficient way to dream about something specific, so the sentence as a whole is false. Second, it assumes implicitly that being aware of dreaming is a way to control the dream, or in other words, that lucid dreaming is a pre-requisite for dream control, which again is false, because one can have full control over dreaming in a non-lucid dream, and vice versa: cannot control a dream despite it being lucid. I know of people having "lucid nightmares", that is, dreams in which they're fully aware they're dreaming, and nevertheless being totally unable to control them or even to awake from them (which can be terrifying in itself).

Also, since you mentioned MILD, reality checks and Dr Stephen LaBerge: Have you ever tried those techniques yourself? If yes, what are your experiences with them? Do they work for you? Do you perform them exactly as Dr LaBerge described them, or some modification of it? Please be honest.

I'm asking this question because I'm an experienced lucid dreamer (I practice lucid dreaming for several years since), and I tested many different techniques in my life so far. I also tested MILD. But it has never worked for me in a form which is described by Dr LaBerge, so either there's actually a different cause why they worked for other people (including Mr. LaBerge), a little detail he overlooked and didn't write about, or they're all lying about its efficiency.

Second, it assumes implicitly that being aware of dreaming is a way to control the dream, or in other words, that lucid dreaming is a pre-requisite for dream control, which again is false

No, I said it was the most efficient way, I never said it was the only way.

Also, since you mentioned MILD, reality checks and Dr Stephen LaBerge: Have you ever tried those techniques yourself? If yes, what are your experiences with them? Do they work for you? Do you perform them exactly as Dr LaBerge described them, or some modification of it? Please be honest.

Yes, I have, And they did work for me. Although I am not really into lucid dreaming anymore. I performed them exactly as he described them.

And yes, I am being honest.

Is there anything else you wish to know ? 

• Brohoof 1

I've had a number of delightful pony dreams.  Most of the time, I think I am watching MLP on a TV.  But at least once I swear I saw Fluttershy and RD in real life.  It was kinda fuzzy though. 

REALITY CHECKS A reality check is a test you do which helps you to determine whether you're dreaming or not. You should ask yourself the following question several times throughout the day "Am I Dreaming" ?.

The Reality Checks sound like a good idea. For instance, many people say they can’t see their own fingers. But I can do that in a dream. Others say they can't read in a dream but I can do that too. For instance, I clearly remember buying undies in a dream (don’t ask) and looking at the receipt:  $44. What a rip off.  :P   I’ve also read letters, comic books, and other things though for whatever reason my reading sessions were very brief.  Not because I could not longer read them but because something kept interrupting me. Still, even without obvious reality checks, I am sometimes able to tell I’m not awake and take control of things. This is pretty rare though even when it should be clear I'm dreaming. For instance, I regularly see my deceased parents. :(

The Reality Checks sound like a good idea. For instance, many people say they can’t see their own fingers. But I can do that in a dream. Others say they can't read in a dream but I can do that too. For instance, I clearly remember buying undies in a dream (don’t ask) and looking at the receipt:  $44. What a rip off.     I’ve also read letters, comic books, and other things though for whatever reason my reading sessions were very brief.  Not because I could not longer read them but because something kept interrupting me. Still, even without obvious reality checks, I am sometimes able to tell I’m not awake and take control of things. This is pretty rare though even when it should be clear I'm dreaming. For instance, I regularly see my deceased parents.

There are plenty of reality checks. Of course, not all of them work for everyone (as you probably know already). However, at least one of them is sure to work for you. 

The Reality Checks sound like a good idea.

Yeah, they sound... until you actually try them in practice ;J Because then it turns out that they don't always work. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Wanna know why? It's because those "scientists" like the aforementioned Dr LaBerge just ripped these techniques off from Indians' and Hindus' lore, unfortunately, they did it wrong and in an incomplete way. So they sometimes work (when you accidentally do them the right way by supplying all the missing details), and sometimes they don't (when you don't know about these details and miss them). It's like practicing Magic without actually knowing what you're doing: sometimes it will work, and other times you'll turn yourself into a frog or blow your entire leg off ;)

But I see that you experimented with them and noticed it already by yourself that there are lots of misconceptions about reality checks, and a lot of false information is being spread out:

For instance, many people say they can’t see their own fingers. But I can do that in a dream.

Exactly. Me too. And I don't know who was not able to count his/her fingers in a dream and what could be a reason for that. There's a technique of Yaqui Indians described in Carlos Castañeda's book "The Art of Dreaming", which is based on watching one's hands carefully from time to time during a day, with an intention that when you see your hands in a dream, you will become aware that you're dreaming. If I remember correctly, it was Kenneth Kelzer who misinterpreted this technique as a reality check and propagated it this way in the lucid dreaming community. But it has nothing to do with reality checking. There's nothing weird going to happen with your hand's image in a dream (though it may happen sometimes, which adds up to the folklore ;P ). Watching one's hands was a form of conditioning to trigger dreaming consciousness when you see your hands. It also increases awareness of your surrounding reality during the day.

Others say they can't read in a dream but I can do that too.

Yeah, another superstition. I can read texts in my dreams without any problems. D'uh, I even once wrote a piece of computer code in a dream! Since I'm a science addict, I also dream about mathematical or physics formulas, and there's nothing illegible in them. I can read them without any problems, I see them exactly the same as in real world, and often I can remember pieces of them, which is very inspiring.

Of course there are times when texts in a dream don't make any sense, or change when you read them twice. There are some problems sometimes with computer screens, too: they often display some weird stuff. But even then, they usually fit the dream convention and you don't see anything strange about them – they just use a different kind of logic than in the real world.

I’ve also read letters, comic books, and other things though for whatever reason my reading sessions were very brief. Not because I could not longer read them but because something kept interrupting me.

Exactly.

There are lots of other superstitions like that. My favorite was when someone once told me that when you're out of body, you cannot pass through electric wires, metal grids or magnets, such as those in loudspeakers. I was so in doubt of those things that I induced out of body experience the same night just to check those things, and all of them turned out to be false. I really wonder where people get those weird ideas from and why do they spread them so willingly.

Still, even without obvious reality checks, I am sometimes able to tell I’m not awake and take control of things.

Exactly. Because dream awareness has nothing to do with reality testing. Actually, when you're trying to do a reality check when you're already in a dream, you're failing royally, because if you think about doing a reality check, you're already aware that something is on, that is, you already have consciousness. Doing a reality check at that moment is not only pointless, but it can even convince you that you're not dreaming (when your reality check fails), and you will get back to continuing your dream as if it were reality :P What a missed opportunity!

Reality checking is a misinterpreted technique taken from ancient Vedic Dream Yoga practiced by Hindu and Tibetan monks. Its original goal was not to check reality, or to test if you're in a dream right now, but to increase your awareness level at day, so it would automatically increase at night, too!

Let me share you the biggest secret of lucid dreaming: The term "lucid dream" is misplaced, because originally it was about a dream of light (as its name suggests already), that is, a dream where your awareness level is so hight that you perceive the reality as made of pure light. I had this experience only a couple of times in my life from all of my "lucid dreaming" experiences, and I remember them very well. The correct term for "lucid dreaming" as we know it, should rather be "conscious dreaming", or "dream awareness", because it is all about knowing that you're in a dream, which is actually an easy way to do. There's nothing mystical in it. But there's one more misconception about that: People often discriminate dreams into "conscious" and "not conscious" or "normal" dreams. This is also a false distinction, because you're actually conscious in all of your dreams! You're aware of your surroundings, you make conscious decisions, you plan what you do, you experience reality the same way you do in your day time. The only difference between "conscious" and "unconscious" dream is this one simple thought: that you are in a dream right now. On the other hand, there are times during the day where you're not aware that you're not in a dream, because you're not paying attention to that thought right now. You can even be less aware in your day time than your night time! People often walk around like zombies, being somewhere else far away from here and now with their thoughts, they can do their activities automatically, and they only get back to reality when something suddenly stands on their way.

And this is exactly what the real reality checks of Vedic practice were all about: their real goal was to increase your awareness during the day, by focusing your attention on here and now, and on your current surroundings, which is your reality. Your goal was to get back to here and now and focus on it, pay closer attention to it, to become more "rooted" in it and be able to notice if there's anything unreal in it. If not, the Vedic tradition tells you to nevertheless pretend that you're in a dream right now, and imagine what would you do if it were a dream. This not only increases awareness during your day life, which automatically influences your dream awareness, but also makes you realize that there's actually no difference between the dream world and the "real" world: they're both as real as they are unreal! It's because when it boils down to experiencing reality, you use the same mechanism of your brain to perceive both the dream world and the "real" world. The only difference is where the information comes from: When you're awake, the information comes from your external senses. But when you're in a dream, the information is generated by your mind itself, in a huge feedback loop (or "virtual reality"). But since the "internal senses" (or, as I call it, the "internal projection system") is the same in both cases, there's no difference in perceiving the real world and the dream world: you can perceive both with the same sense of reality. (That's why it doesn't work when you pinch yourself to test if you're in a dream: It won't work because the pinch would be perceived as much real as in the "real world".)

When you practice the Dream Yoga, and you smear your boundary between reality and dream, there's where the magic begins, because then you start dreaming consciously all of your dreams, whether you want it or not, and whether you make any exercises in lucid dreaming or not. I'm not at that level yet, since I don't have enough time for practicing Dream Yoga, but I developed a sense of reality to the point that I have conscious dreams quite often without doing any special exercises. It's the state of mind which induces them, not the exercises, and when you realize that, no exercises would be needed. In the original Dream Yoga, the exercises are there only to point you at that particular state of mind. In Western interpretation of Dream Yoga it is all mistaken, and they'll tell you that the exercises are the key. So you dream consciously only when you do exercises, and you stop dreaming consciously when you stop exercising. When you have the proper state of mind (that is, when you understand that everything is a dream, kind of), then you don't need any exercises, because your mind is aware of your surroundings 24/7. (Mine is aware around 1 hour a day in total, when I practice my Dream Yoga, but still it suffices to give me LD once a couple of days ;) )

Edited by SasQ

When I was really little, I had real bad nightmares & I had to learn to control my dreams.  I was about 8 before I realized everyone didn't do that (& think you're weird if you can) & 20 & in college before I learned anyone else can.

The technique I use.  Before you go to sleep, (& I mean, lying in bed w your eyes shut), tell yourself:  I am going to go to sleep.  I will dream about  X.  I will control the dream & wake up when I want.  I will remember the dream later.  I vaguely remember it took a couple of tries & I started off simple, with dreams about stuff like eating dinner & worked my way up.  I've heard about Lucid Dreaming, but no idea if that's how it is supposed to be done.  I just know that I did it & if a 3-4 year old kid taught himself, it can't be that hard

• Brohoof 1

I had only one dream ’bout ponies: I saw somethin’ bright, too bright to recognize its shape, and I heard the voice of princess Celestia. She said, “I will meet you on the other side.” Maybe she wanted me to build a portal to Equestria. Any road, I doubt she suggested me to commit suicide. :)

• Brohoof 1

I had a strange dream yesterday that a delivery truck all decked out in MLP character designs on the side randomly ended up in front of my house and delivered these HUGE boxes (gift wrapped ones) presumably full of MLP stuff. One being a good sized Pinkie Pie plush. But when I brought that one in the house, I turned around and all of the boxes had vanished, like someone stole them. I was sad about it and for the rest of the dream was hoping that my mom had somehow brought them somewhere in the house and that I'd see them again. xD

I think that was the only MLP-related dream I've ever had, by the way.

I've had a dream that was sorta related to MLP, though to be fair it was more to do with being a brony. I remember in said dream I was at my friends house and another friend of mine was also there, and they had bought a my little pony tent (do those even exist?) and they had also bought a load of merch, and neither of these people are bronies. Anyway, then they started going in the tent and playing with the dolls and they kept commenting on how "stupid" it was to be brony and I think they were to prove it to me by playing with MLP merch. Yeah pretty strange dream.

I don't any way to control your dreams like that without lucid dreaming. I've never done it. I have had a few vague dreams with ponies in them.

I remember having a dream that went a little bit like this: I found myself on a mountain skii resort, with one part of the mountain really steep. I was an earth pony. So there was the Mayor of Ponyville and she gave me a yellow liferaft, so I jumped off the steep part of the mountain on it, of course. I did some awesome stunts with it, but landed on a couple of rocks, that dameaged the raft. And there, on the base of the mountain was Pinkie. Then she said "Sir, please give me your raft", so I gave her the raft. But then she sain "This is a private raft" and then she gave me the raft back. I knew it wasnt mine so I turned arount, and there stood a fat short kid who said:" I want my craft". I was afraid he would get mad I dameaged the raft, but he didnt seem to notice it. So I gave him the raft, and then went near a wooden lodge. The wooden lodge had a floating granade, much like in San Andreas, behind it. So I took it and blew myself up. So I respawned, naturally. I think at this point I awoke. Well this was a long post. Here have an o: o.