Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like MLP Songs?

Cyan Blue

I'm not talking about the fan made music, I'm talking the legit music in the show.

I just never got into it, I thought they were a show filler and nothing worth listening to on my own time.

Am I the only on to think this way?

I'm not talking about the fan made music, I'm talking the legit music in the show.

I just never got into it, I thought they were a show filler and nothing worth listening to on my own time.

Am I the only on to think this way?

No, you're not the only one, that's a statistical impossibility. That being said, I love the songs from the show. In-fact, I have "Apples to the Core" stuck in my head right now ^_^

• Brohoof 2

Well personally I quite like a few of the songs, but generally speaking, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that tastes differ. Not everypony who loves the show automatically also loves the music. There is nothing wrong with that.

• Brohoof 1

The songs are what really got me into the show, you see I love Broadway/big instrumental scores. So the music in FIM is great. That being said I could totally understand why someone would not like it.   

• Brohoof 4

I hate shows where anyone breaks out into song at any time, but surprisingly,I don't mind the songs in MLP, but I still don't see why when one person starts singing, you should all go parading through the streets (Yes, we're looking at you, Pinkie Pie.).

• Brohoof 1

I agree with the fact that as stand-alone songs, a good majority (if not all) of them are...nothing special.

That said, they do serve a specific purpose within the show itself, and some of them are pretty catchy

Plus, nobody's about to start randomly listening to the Campfire Song Song for serious reasons either, right?

Apologies to all who now have it stuck in their head.

I personally love the songs very much from a casual viewer's point of view. The songs are very catchy for the most part and I find them great ways to advance the story or to lengthen the exposition of a story. Take "Babs Seed", one of my favourite MLP songs to date. It's very catchy, and it sings of the CMC's struggles against Babs Seed very convincingly.

On the other hand, as a huge music nerd, I am disappointed with the fact that I can't analyze these pieces as deeply there isn't much to analyze! It's because their only purpose is to be catchy and to help advance the plot! My favourite song in this regard was "What my Cutie Mark is Telling Me" because Daniel Ingram made some chordal departures that resembled those from the mid-late Romantic Era.  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I get where you're coming from, I never had much interest in the songs until i started hearing all the fan remixes and stuff. Its an entirely new genre of its own, and if you like drastically different kinds of music it may not appeal to you.

A lot of it is hit and miss for me. This season I really liked Apples to the Core and the songs from Pinkie Pride were all kinda nifty. The rest were pretty meh in my opinion. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like the songs from earlier seasons were better. Or maybe others have influenced my opinions on the matter.

(This Day Aria is probably my favorite ever because its epic and dramatic AND a villain song)

Edited by crazitaco

(edited)

LOL I was thinking of making a topic on this!

Overall l don't really mind the songs (except THE THEME SONG :okiedokielokie:  and the CMC's talent show song). In general I'm just just not really a fan of musicals. HOWEVER I do think they are well done in the show. Ingram definitely puts a lot of effort in. Am i going to put any on my iPod- no.

There are a few things I like with some songs on the show:

• I do actually like Ashleigh Ball when she sings as Applejack in "Apples To The Core" and the song from the fruit bat episode.
  • I also like Pinkie's goofy song from "Over a Barrel" that pisses off the buffalo chief due to it being so dumb.
  • I thought the use of the "Piñata Song" part at the end of the goof off in "Pinkie Pride" was very clever. The lyrics (in Spanish) helped Pinkie realize what she was doing- and get her key. The funny thing is that you wouldn't notice without knowing (at least some) Spanish! The words "El Camino" caught my attention so at first I thought Pinkie was just babbling some nonsense bullshit- LOL.
  • Pinkie's rap- I was cracking up during it because all I could think is that I WOULD PAY TO SEE ANDREA LIBMAN RECORDING IT IN THE STUDIO!!!! :lol: (for those who don't know- she seems like a relatively calm person in real life. She also doesn't like to hear her recorded self)
Edited by steve88

I like a lot of the songs in the show, but some are just really annoying 'we need a song here' songs.

I hate the rainbow song in the end of the season four finale.

But I do like most of the music. <3 :)

(edited)

No, you are not-every song within the show I've ever listened to that I like has been through acquired taste (except 'Bats!', 'This Day Aria', and 'The CMC Theme Song').

This is the reason I hated 'Magical Mystery Cure' so much, it felt like all the time the episode had to address Twilight and some of the fans' concerns at the time were unimportant next to the songs which half the time didn't really feel necessary to convey some of the points or help with the pacing too much in the end, either.

Edited by Ianpiersonjdavis

Of course you aren't the only one. I myself used to hate them until I realized how much work was put into each and every one of them. Didn't take long before I realized how masterly crafted the score and lyrics were. Daniel Ingram and Steffan Andrews are truly geniuses.  

Basically, enjoying the music in MLP went in stages. From hate it to I respect the craft to I love it. Now there isn't really a song in the show that I hate, they all seem to serve they're purpose fairly well. Guess it just doesn't go the same way for others.

Hey there @Cyan Blue, since this thread discusses something from the show, I've moved it to Show Discussion.
In the future, ensure you post threads in the correct section. :)

• Brohoof 1

There are some songs I like and some I don't, I love both the Flim Flam Brothers songs, The Smile Song and a few others am neutral toward most of the others but do in fact not care for a few songs.