Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would life, and human history be, if music never existed?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

The same? If music never existed, then we wouldn't miss it, would we? I don't think music has had that much of an impact on history.

• Brohoof 1

The same? If music never existed, then we wouldn't miss it, would we? I don't think music has had that much of an impact on history.

I'm not even going to talk about how wrong this is.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not even going to talk about how wrong this is.

Oh really? Then why don't you tell me how much music has had an impact on history and how it affects us today?  :comeatus:

• Brohoof 2

Oh really? Then why don't you tell me how much music has had an impact on history and how it affects us today?  :comeatus:

Shot down! XD

Music means a whole damn lot to me, but it doesn't impact us greatly, just like sports.

• Brohoof 1

I gotta agree with ReGen and Cyan Blue on this one. While I do thoroughly enjoy music, I can't fathom how life overall would be worse, or even that much different. Sure, the world probably wouldn't be exactly where it is now, but I don't think it'd be noticeably better or worse off. Just different.

(edited)

Music is history! Music has made history! People have made history with their music and people have loved it for years and will for years to come!

*Many* people have commited their entire lives to music and they would've done something completly different if they hadn't... changing history!

Pop Culture is a part of are history- what if Rock and Roll never happened. Disco. Jazz Clubs. These effected people for an entire decade and beyond! And people today remember these things and how it effected their lives, and made them who they are! It influences how we dance, (we would dance either. unless we danced without music. Which ironically has been in may songs.) speak, and dress which is a part of our history!!

Music has helped people though hard times and brought them together. ( I don't suppose the term Fandom is familar to you.)

Music is a form of art are you saying that art, which fill musems, and parks, and homes hasn't affected history!?!

It even effects our bodies!!

http://www.cracked.com/article_18405_7-insane-ways-music-affects-body-according-to-science.html

Music is a powerful thing and I know I wouldn't be the same without it.

I could honestly go on, but I'm going to stop.

Edited by KatieBelle219
  • Brohoof 1

oooooooooooh, no you don't.

For a nice succint answer:

Music was a vital part in the development of communities, specifically in rallying people together and the development of early settlements. Music has always been a major player in the development of religion (choral stuff, really) and from that, most culture.

Further, this constant of 'bringing people together for a greater purpose' can be seen through many different periods of human history (ie. religion,The Renaissance, slavery), not to mention independently in many parts of the world, from which we can surmise that music had a similar impact to human development did as many fairy tales and legends.

blah blah blah, music was an important part of human evolution, and the development of all culture, so suck it. xD

• Brohoof 4

Music was a vital part in the development of communities, specifically in rallying people together and the development of early settlements. Music has always been a major player in the development of religion (choral stuff, really) and from that, most culture.

Further, this constant of 'bringing people together for a greater purpose' can be seen through many different periods of human history (ie. religion,The Renaissance, slavery), not to mention independently in many parts of the world, from which we can surmise that music had a similar impact to human development did as many fairy tales and legends.

blah blah blah, music was an important part of human evolution, and the development of all culture, so suck it. xD

Well, thank you for proving me wrong!  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Well, thank you for proving me wrong!  :lol:

xD

I didn't sit through those boring music history/theory lectures for nothing!

But yeah, It's not often I get the chance to nerd out about music  :lol:

...I kinda want to go into huge detail, but then I think I'll look like a huge nerd.  :wacko:

Shot down! XD

Music means a whole damn lot to me, but it doesn't impact us greatly, just like sports

Don't make me rant about sports and it's anthropological importance too! I'll do it!  :angry:

• Brohoof 2

Don't make me rant about sports and it's anthropological importance too! I'll do it!  :angry:

I was referring to sports displayed on television, sure. Sports are a great source of exercise, and can boost confidence, etc.

But, sports on TV contribute nothing to society.

• Brohoof 1

oooooooooooh, no you don't.

True, music has been used for such purposes, but not because it was the only option. It was simply there, and effective, so people used it. If it hadn't been music, it would have been something else. People would have rallied in different ways, brought people together for a greater purpose in different ways.

So yeah, the world would be different without music, but that doesn't mean it'd be any worse off.

But then again, as I read your post again, it occurs to me that you're not saying the world would be any worse off, just that music is part of what made it what it is. So yeah, I reckon you're right. :P

• Brohoof 3

I was referring to sports displayed on television, sure. Sports are a great source of exercise, and can boost confidence, etc.

But, sports on TV contribute nothing to society.

Fine, I'll rant about economics and the development of the service industry instead, then xD

Nah, I know the theory but my heart isn't in it to summarise. Someone with an actual interest in watching sports can. xP

Back onto music, Coursera's got a whole buncha courses which might touch on this if anyone's interested.

https://www.coursera.org/course/worldmusic

https://www.coursera.org/course/historyofrock1

https://www.coursera.org/course/historyofrock2

https://www.coursera.org/course/musictheory

• Brohoof 1

That'd be rather sad. But I doubt it would impact us greatly. It could possibly cause a real life re-enactement of The little Mermaid 3, tough.

I don't like talking about this.

Then why are you here?
  • Brohoof 1

Back onto music, Coursera's got a whole buncha courses which might touch on this if anyone's interested.

Music takes a huge role in my life, and I side against it..

• Brohoof 1

True, music has been used for such purposes, but not because it was the only option. It was simply there, and effective, so people used it. If it hadn't been music, it would have been something else. People would have rallied in different ways, brought people together for a greater purpose in different ways.

So yeah, the world would be different without music, but that doesn't mean it'd be any worse off.

But then again, as I read your post again, it occurs to me that you're not saying the world would be any worse off, just that music is part of what made it what it is. So yeah, I reckon you're right. :P

Life would be like the twlight zone eerily quiet expect only nature noises.

Given that music originated from from sounds in nature (in the same way with parrots and that one bird that could emulate ANY sound on that documentary with David Attenborough), I guess a world without music would imply that human development would rely less on hearing, and thus more on...something else. Smells perhaps?

Given that music originated from from sounds in nature (in the same way with parrots and that one bird that could emulate ANY sound on that documentary with David Attenborough), I guess a world without music would imply that human development would rely less on hearing, and thus more on...something else. Smells perhaps?

And tonal languages, such as Chinese, would instead be smelly languages, where the meaning of a word changes depending on what the speaker's breath smells like. :D

But in all seriosity, though, none of the many Chinese languages would likely be the way they are now, since they are tonal and thus somewhat musical in nature. For humans not have invented music, it seems necessary that we would never have had the ability to properly distinguish between different frequencies of sound, so tonal languages would be impossible to understand.

• Brohoof 1

And tonal languages, such as Chinese, would instead be smelly languages, where the meaning of a word changes depending on what the speaker's breath smells like. :D

But in all seriosity, though, none of the many Chinese languages would likely be the way they are now, since they are tonal and thus somewhat musical in nature. For humans not have invented music, it seems necessary that we would never have had the ability to properly distinguish between different frequencies of sound, so tonal languages would be impossible to understand.

I guess more emphasis would be placed on body language or something else then. Perhaps differing forms of sign language would be the prevalent method of communication?

For starters, this world would be that much duller given how we're always in need of something to entertain us. Yes we have visual art, but music is very different from that in the sense that anyone can take a tune and feel something entirely different from what another person or even the composer intended.

Theoretically, I hear syllables and sound effects as pitches because of my perfect pitch. So basically, sound wouldn't exist at all if music did not exist.

• Brohoof 2