Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who has it worse- guys or girls- with pressure to have 'perfect' weight?

KatieBelle

Girls do. BUT, that's not to say there is no pressure on men. To have a solid build, or that perfectly sculpted face, it gets to a lot of males. There's a lot of focus on female appearance, and it overshadows the same problems for men. To feel that your body is inadequate enough to appeal to people affects you regardless of gender.

Both struggle, but girls have it worse than guys do when they are criticized about their weight. I think it gets to girls more because of societies looks on weight is more towards girls having a perfect body. Everywhere in life: magazines, newspapers, films, shops etc. you see these perfect looking models everywhere and this causes most people to think that is the way you should be.

On the guys part, it never offended me for some reason but I lost weight and became an average weight teen :) Now nobody says nothin 

Girls I'd say.  I've heard many many times over that due to girls' metabolism and simply how their bodies work in general compared to guys, they have a more difficult time losing weight and keeping it off.  And I can definitely attest to the fact that guys (or at least me) have a pretty dang easy time losing weight; I've lost a lot of weight many times in my life in a relatively short amount of time with relatively little work all things considered (now if only I'd stop gaining it back!  I'm like Celestia with her cake!  Holy crap, right NOW I'm eating a piece of cherry pie... what's wrong with meeee?  *CRAVES AN EMOTICON OF RARITY CRYING OVER HER BAD BIRDHOUSE LIKE THEY HAVE ON ANOTHER FORUM I'VE BEEN TO*)

But they also have more pressure, yeah.  Guys can get away with being well over 200lbs and just be a "good ol' normal guy" but girls are treated poorly if they're even a middle-of-the-road weight.  Which upsets me, because I really like girls who're a *little* chubby; I kinda don't understand why society in general *doesn't*.  That's like someone who doesn't like... cherry pie... *gulp*

So, girl to girl, just be healthy. You can look at a BMI chart to figure out what weight is healthy for your height.

The BMI chart is absolute BS, it factors in height and weight but dosen't factor in how much body fat vs muscle mass someone has or body type. Muscle weighs significantly more than fat so according to the BMI scale a lot of people who have a healthy level of body fat yet have a bit more muscle than your average person are considered overweight or even obese. This one opinion piece really drives home just how little credibility this method of measure has and has a rather attention grabbing title.

http://jamesarr.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/superman-is-a-big-fat-slob/

• Brohoof 3

I put my vote in for women having it worse. But don't think than being thin makes you immune to criticism.  I've been told a few times that I need to gain weight, even though my BMI is normal (5'9" 130lbs).  When other women see me eat I either get "Is that all you're going to eat?" or "Damn, I bet you could eat a whole cake without gaining an ounce"  (the latter statement not really being criticism but it's not enjoyable to be envied)

• Brohoof 2

When it comes to physical appearance, I'm pretty sure it is indeed girls who have the hardest time.

However, if you are a guy, you have to act like a man. If you are a girl, you can act either feminine or more masculine. Males have a strict social code in that regard.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Its obvious we are both stereotyped and made to live like slaves to a very stupid social law which dictates we either fit in or get treated like shit and to fit in we need to look the part and not be who we are like us bronies for example we challenge stereotypes and in turn are called all the crap under the sun like clopper pedo or gay which gay isnt offencive lol the other 2 are. We should be free to live how we wish as long as no other person or creature gets hurt. Both males and females are equal in every way the only difference is men have a third leg and women have 2 baloons lol keeping it clean fact is we both are under pressure to look like something we srent and its stupid

Edited by chaos rains

While girls deal with things like periods and pregnancy, at least they aren't excused of being sexual monsters, they're diseases are actually given support, and aren't told to be emotionless robots all day.

So, yeah, I think men have it harder.

• Brohoof 3

While girls deal with things like periods and pregnancy, at least they aren't excused of being sexual monsters, they're diseases are actually given support, and aren't told to be emotionless robots all day.

So, yeah, I think men have it harder.

Huh... When you put it like that, I guess both genders have it equally bad...
  • Brohoof 1

Girls without a doubt. I am female myself but I do not mind my weight and do not believe I need to lose weight. But I do have some friends that have gone on diets because they believe they are "fat." It's sad, really. It's rare when girls like myself have the confidence to not care what others think of them. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, there's no doubt there's pressure on both genders to conform to certain body types. If you're not a babe or a hunk, there's something wrong with you or you're not trying hard enough. -_- With that said, there is no question females are more stringently held to these high standards. The eating disorders and other problems mentioned in this thread hit girls and women significantly harder. 

Here's one more thing to consider.  There are exceptions but it's generally safe to joke around with guys about their physical shortcomings. We're raised to laugh off stuff like that. You might think you know a gal you can do that with too. But even if she laughs outwardly, she's much more likely to be secretly hurt by negative comments. :(

• Brohoof 3

Ok, so obviously both genders have to deal with crap, and crap in the weight regard, or even just in the condition of your body in general, your physical appearance. It's what people first notice about you, and therefore leaves a first impression.

That isn't to say that good looking people are the only people worth talking to or doing anything with, because that's totally bullcrap, but unfortunately physical appearance has a pretty drastic impact on many people when it comes to whether they want to even speak to someone. 

As far as weight goes women have it harder, I mean seriously, so many women I know are like "I'm so fat D:" but they're like... not fat like... It's just like, what?

Some just do it for attention probably, but still, the fact that some may actually think they're fat is just stupid. 

Being underweight is actually the cause of many more things that being overweight, and the apparent "perfect weight" for girls, isn't really healthy at all. 

Honestly myself I don't think weight should matter, guy or girl, just as long as your not affecting your health because of your weight. 

There is also the fact that girls tend to retain weight more, and therefore have a harder time losing it once they gain weight. I forget the exact reasoning and all the details, but It has to do with pregnancy and birth and stuff.

Plus girls tend to be expected to look like freaking supermodels most of the time anyways.

That's not to say guys don't have to deal with crap though for their appearance, guys are still expected to be able to bench 300 pounds or something, and have giant muscles and abs and what not, which is great and all, but not every guy is going to be that, or want to be that. Sure, working out is healthy, and girls may find it attractive, but that's not something every guy is going to want.

Overweight guys don't really get insulted as much for their weight as overweight girls I find, or at the very least they simply don't care as much.

Of course guys can be pretty rough on underweight people at times too. It's looked upon as weak, I myself am underweight(5'9 or so, and 110 pounds roughly) so most people think of me as a stick bone figure and weak and what not. Most times it doesn't bother me, but still.

And true, some guys may only want to date super models or something, but don't tell me that there are not girls who don't do the same thing with guys essentially, I doubt much of any women would date me, just because I don't have 6 pack abs and big muscles, or a perfect body or anything. Both genders have their people who are very much concerned on physical appearance.

I myself still have a decent bit of acne, and i'm 17, i'm skinny, not buff at all, and my facial hair just looks really weird on me. And overall I just don't look that good, I wouldn't qualify as good looking to girls typically. 

But anyways, enough ranting and off topic rambling, in the end in the department of weight, girls definitely have it worse, they are simply more pressured, and thus more worried about their weight, to the point they go to extreme measures to lose weight, and the weight they strive for isn't even a healthy one!

Just be healthy, healthy both looks good, and is good for you, it's a win win.

• Brohoof 1

Both genders have pressure on them to be the "perfect weight." I'd have to say that girls have it worse though. It annoys me when people say that it should be illegal to call people fat. I think it was the Hunger Games girl that said that. Freedom of speech people! Anyways, I've noticed a lot of things on the internet lately saying things about how you're beautiful no matter what size you are. That's nice and all, and I agree that people shouldn't be bullied due to their weight. However, I'm a bit concerned for peoples health when they're extremely obese. 

I'm an overweight male, and I really don't care that I'm bigger. I've never gotten any "pressure" to lose weight, although I know I should.