Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Research Study

SCS

Are you interested in participating in a research study about the brony fandom? Sociology professor Dr. Patricia Literte and her student Caralou Rosen from California State University, Fullerton are interested in organizing such a study to learn more about bronies and why we like the show. This is a neutral and unbiased study designed to objectively seek insight regarding this matter.

They reached out to the MLP Forums administration team in the interest of touching base with members here who are willing to participate in an interview regarding this matter. They hope to conduct 50 interviews by the end of the summer, and you guys can help make that happen. These interviews will be confidential. Everyone's identities will be protected, and they will not use anyone's real names when writing about or presenting their research findings. Additionally, this project is approved by the United States Institutional Review Board, governed by Title 45 Code of Federal Regulations Part 46. 

There are multiple avenues available for participating in this study.

If you plan to attend BronyCon 2014, you could organize a meetup with Dr. Literte at a nearby public location that you would determine with her to participate in the interview. To set that up, you can email her at pliterte@fullerton.edu.

If you are unable to attend BronyCon but live in Southern California, you could organize a meetup with Caralou Rosen at a public location that you would determine with her to participate in the interview. If you do not live in that area, you can still participate in the interview over the phone. This would be a good option for anyone who isn't able to attend BronyCon and who doesn't live in Southern California. Either way, you should initially contact her via email to organize the interview: cara_rosen@csu.fullerton.edu.

Questions regarding this study can be posted here and/or directed to either of them via email.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help them out with this.

TL;DR version:

There are three ways to take the survey.

1. In person at BronyCon in Baltimore Maryland
2. In person in California where the university (Fullerton) is located
3. Via phone wherever you live.

You will need to email them to initiate any of the above options and work out the details and time.

Some specifics regarding qualifiers and length

You need to be 18 years or older
The survey will be appox. one hour long

• Brohoof 37

I do in fact live in Southern California so a public meeting is possible though with my unpredictable hours at work since returning back from a 3 month knee injury if I participate in this by phone will probably be the most convenient way for me to do this.

• Brohoof 1

Can't go to BronyCon and don't live in California. :(

Ah well. I'm very interested to know how the project goes though! I like when people take actual time to educate themselves with us.

• Brohoof 7

Not going to Bronycon this year and I don't live in SoCal. I don't think I'd come up with good responses anyway.

Can't go to BronyCon and don't live in California. :(

Ah well. I'm very interested to know how the project goes though! I like when people take actual time to educate themselves with us.

Well, I don't think I can because none of the things are convinient to me but this sounds very interesting.

You only have to live in southern California or attend BronyCon to do an interview in-person. Otherwise, you can do an interview over the phone with Caralou Rosen.

You can sort that out by emailing her: cara_rosen@csu.fullerton.edu.

• Brohoof 3

not only are we hoping to make bronycon, & cosplay, this is our first con EVER, & I am a brand new brony & an instant fanatic! I would love to meet with this woman! hopefully our stars align <3 :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Quite interesting for the fact someone had the idea of studying us XD We're not a species, we're human as I always say for ANY of my fandoms but sounds fun but I live in Fullerton though which is a city in California but it's pretty small

Edited by PastelPetal
  • Brohoof 2

Is there a website where the study will be published so we can read about how amazing our minds are compared to everybody else?

I don't know, but I will ask them.

Quite interesting for the fact someone had the idea of studying us XD We're not a species, we're human as I always say for ANY of my fandoms but sounds fun but I live in Fullerton though which is a city in California but it's pretty small

That's not the mindset behind the study. Sociology is the study of society and its structure, among other aspects. Various studies have been done over time about most any aspect of human nature and society in the attempt to better understand humanity. 

I don't live nearby or plan on going to Bronycon, but I still am interested in participating. Is there anyway to do it on the computer?

You can't do the interview itself over the computer, but you can set up an interview over the phone by emailing cara_rosen@csu.fullerton.edu.

• Brohoof 3

Where is the bronycon 2014 at in Southren Califorina?,I'm wondering because they might have the Bronycon2014 somewhere else in Southern Califorina.

If the Bronycon2014 might be somewhere in Southern Califorina,Then I have too try too plan a interview but I have too ask my dad if it's ok since I'm currently 16 in a half and my dad gotta know if it's ok too him that I can on phone or somewhere I live I would like too be in one even though I'm really shy but I need too get over it.

• Brohoof 2

Where is the bronycon 2014 at in Southren Califorina?,I'm wondering because they might have the Bronycon2014 somewhere else in Southern Califorina.

If the Bronycon2014 might be somewhere in Southern Califorina,Then I have too try too plan a interview but I have too ask my dad if it's ok since I'm currently 16 in a half and my dad gotta know if it's ok too him that I can on phone or somewhere I live I would like too be in one even though I'm really shy but I need too get over it.

BronyCon 2014 is actually in Baltimore, Maryland. If you live in Southern California, you can organize an in-person meetup at a public location of your choice with Caralou Rosen. Otherwise, you can organize a phone interview with her.

Regardless of which option you choose, you would need to email her first: cara_rosen@csu.fullerton.edu.

BronyCon 2014 is actually in Baltimore, Maryland. If you live in Southern California, you can organize an in-person meetup at a public location of your choice with Caralou Rosen. Otherwise, you can organize a phone interview with her.

Regardless of which option you choose, you would need to email her first: cara_rosen@csu.fullerton.edu.

We'll I live in Southern California but I don't live in the city anymore,I wish I can go to the Bronycon2014 but it's too far away as usual I never went to Disneyland and Knottsberryfarm and Con's that inserted me I wish they can do them around where I live or in a city somewhere not far away.

Her email want's too be emailed by my mac's mail application which it has my dad's username,It doesn't acctuly go by email it goes to mail on my mac but I will try too use it on my email instead of the mail on mac appiclation.

• Brohoof 1

I would if I could but I can't. I honestly watch the show for how happy and colorful it is. Where I come from there's not much of that. It's kind of like a dream world animated.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The Researchers are from USCF in Southern California. BronyCon is in Baltimore, MD. You can arrange for a face to face at either location, but you may need a release from you parents. Don't know how this works with the phone interview.

If this is a recalibration of the data from a few years back I'm interested to see how the landscape has changed.

Just confirmed that you need to be 18 years or older, just in case anyone wanted to know.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 1