Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Due Diligence

Does a little spice make everything nice?  

25 users have voted

1. 1. How spicy is your life?

• I use pepper spray for perfume/cologne
    • I've eaten and enjoyed at least one of the superhot peppers
    • Hot sauce is my favorite condiment
    • Jalapenos are okay, sometimes
    • Ketchup is too much for me

Howdy from the spicy South!

I've got a project in life to find a hot sauce for pretty much everything, and sometimes that involves swapping recipes. I just finished a fatalii-mango hot sauce (Sriracha consistency) that is cooling down right now, and I've got a bhut jolokia-pineapple salsa that is the second hottest thing I've ever attempted to eat. Sriracha-lime cupcakes have also been baked, though I seem to be the only one that liked them.

Have any good recipes, spicy finds or stories to share?

post-28573-0-02648300-1406519577_thumb.jpg

post-28573-0-85924300-1406519577_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

You haven't lived until you sign a waver before eating wings!

I may need one for my Hurricane Sauce. This is a new recipe and I just tried it.. I named it appropriately based off the destruction it caused. Milk and yogurt didn't cut it, I had to gargle a shot of vodka to get my face to stop sweating.

• Brohoof 1

I may need one for my Hurricane Sauce. This is a new recipe and I just tried it.. I named it appropriately based off the destruction it caused. Milk and yogurt didn't cut it, I had to gargle a shot of vodka to get my face to stop sweating.

How the hell would that help?

Wouldn't that make it worse? :huh:

(edited)

How the hell would that help?

Wouldn't that make it worse? :huh:

Alcohol neutralizes the capsaicin better than the fat in milk does. I've seen Iron Chefs do it and it seems to work pretty well. Same principle makes it a good idea to wash your hands with alcohol after handling peppers to get the spice off before you rub your eye or something.

Edited by Due Diligence
  • Brohoof 2

Alcohol neutralizes the capsaicin better than the fat in milk does. I've seen Iron Chefs do it and it seems to work pretty well. Same principle makes it a good idea to wash your hands with alcohol after handling peppers to get the spice off before you rub your eye or something.

If you want to try the Hurricane Sauce, here's the recipe. I'd recommend seeding some of the peppers (I didn't) as it's almost too hot. Almost being the key word here.

I'll definately have to try it!!  I've grown Habanero and thai peppers for 3 years now and my husband and I are always looking for new stuff!  One of our favorites is something we call H-bomb jelly that is amazing on brie or pork.

The highest level of spicy I'm willing to go for is Sriracha, though that's mostly because of how tasty it really is.  I don't eat it for the spiciness, to be honest. 

I also enjoy putting jalapenos in my tuna sandwiches instead (or at least in addition to...) sour pickles.   It's a tasty treat. :)

So yeah, I'm a flavor person, rather than a spicy person.  I'd probably be dumb enough to eat just the pepper straight and whole if I thought it was tasty enough. :(

You can build up your spicy tolerance if you work at it. I started off thinking ketchup was all I'd every need, then tried some mild Indian food and got it a little hotter next time and little hotter every time.. Now life is delicious.

• Brohoof 1

I must say, I'm liking this thread already.  :o

Hot food is one of my favourites, Though the average chillis aren't spicy enough for my liking, The Habanero peppers are probably the spiciest thing I've eaten, maybe not, but I remember eating a lot of them and getting a stomach ache, wasn't as bad for my mouth to be perfectly honest! 

Speaking of chilli related stories, It isn't particularly super great, but I've won a chilli eating competition, everyone seemed so amazed, but those were the mild shop bought ones I was eating!  :lol:

I'd like to try one of those super-spicy chilli peppers one day.

@@Due Diligence, What?! You eat Bhut Jolokia?! What nonsense is this?  :blink:

+100 awesome points in my book.

• Brohoof 1

Brought the pineapple salsa with chocolate bhut jolokia in it to work for a potluck today and four people offered to buy the jar off me, so I'm super glad I work with spicy food fans.

Find any spicy goodness recently?

• 5 years later...

My family, particularly my father and older brother, have always prided themselves in being able to 'take the heat' so to speak. And being a male in my family, of course I was expected to partake in the manly challenge of poisoning oneself in order to impress... uh... nobody, actually.

Yeah, I found it really dumb. We had stupid stuff like "who can chug a bottle of Tabasco the fastest?" and shit like that (btw I won that challenge at the price of not being able to eat for like two days). At around fourteen I realized that it was incredibly stupid, and so I massively dialed back the spicy in my life.

I'm still okay with it though. I LOVE Tabasco classic on eggs and pizza, but outside of that you won't catch me eating spicy stuff on the regular.

• 1 year later...

I've had those hot peppers on pizza haha I mean sure I enjoy spicy things given they taste good however if not I wouldn't want that spice on. That said I typically prefer certain foods spicy such as pizzas and meat that is. 

5 minutes ago, DixonTheAdversary said:

I don't like any sort of spicy food, I just don't enjoy having my mouth on fire.

I don't like things that are spicy just for the "challenge" - but chilli, ginger, garlic - all good choices to add depth and fire to food, without overpowering it to the point you can't taste the other ingredients.