Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is canon that Aj parents are dead. Episode about death.

Conred

So in a recent Comicon panel, Meghan and Jason stated that they thinking on how to create an episode about loss of Aj parents. How do you think they should tackle it so it wouldnt stand out too much from the series bright atmosphere? Should they even teach little kids about passing away and death?

• Brohoof 3

I don't think they should do one. Be better to maybe just have a breath mention of it and a little flash back. They were eaten by timber wolves, which is why AJ saved Spike from them.

So in a recent Comicon panel, Meghan and Jason stated that they thinking on how to create an episode about loss of Aj parents. How do you think they should tackle it so it wouldnt stand out too much from the series bright atmosphere? Should they even teach little kids about passing away and death?

Cannon-Ish (I like to think so)  It was confirmed on twitter that the two shooting stars at the end of Apple Family Reunion were to represent her parents.

There are so many ways that this can be tackled appropriately for little kids.

Here are two examples

Tell me again why a kids show can't talk about death?

• Brohoof 15

Cannon-Ish (I like to think so)  It was confirmed on twitter that the two shooting stars at the end of Apple Family Reunion were to represent her parents.

There are so many ways that this can be tackled appropriately for little kids.

Here are two examples

Tell me again why a kids show can't talk about death?

Woudn't little girls watching it ask their parents if those ponies going to die too?  Seem like magical world of fantasy is becoming more realistic with diseases, disability and death with each season. We already seen disabled pony on a wheelchair. Not sure if it fits that colorfull utopia.

• Brohoof 2

If I recall, they've wanted to do an episode about Ma and Pa Apple for a while, and again if I recall correctly....Hasbro said no.

I haven't found a primary source for that. I can tell you that they said no to Luna. That kinda sucks because I think Luna would be a popular character if they only brought her back. ;)

Woudn't little girls watching it ask their parents if those ponies going to die too? Seem like magical world of fantasy is becoming more realistic with diseases, disability and death with each season. We already seen disabled pony on a wheelchair. Not sure if it fits that colorful utopia.

It can be directly addressed like in Sesame Street which has a younger targeted demo than MLP, and yes it will start a conversation. Of course Jim Henson and PBS got a nice shiny gold statue to prove that it can be a good thing to tackle death. They can take the show don't tell approach like Rugrats did. They can take the single line like, "I wish Mom was here ... she would have known what to do."

That last one may be more palatable.

• Brohoof 2

I don't see why they can't touch on it a bit, BUT they would have to tread carefully. I mean I think "Static Shock" did it wonderfully in regards to the main characters mother dying in the line of duty as a fire fighter, and him having to come to terms with that during a memorial service in his teen years. It made me tear up, but I thought it was beautifully handled.

MLP can do the same, and it might be time to do that eventually.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, I think the fact that they're so far into the series makes me think that it might be a more difficult to pull off. 

(edited)

Betcha it happens in the same episode Applebloom gets her Cutie Mark! One line from each AB, AJ, and Big Mac ... done and organic to the situation.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 3

I have been hoping for some time that they would do an episode on Applejack's parents and what it has meant to the three of the Apple siblings. If done with sensitivity, it would be invaluable for helping children who are dealing with a loss and their friends who may not know what to do when one of their friends is. I sincerely hope they find a way to do it that Hasbro will allow so it can be used for teaching in that way.

• Brohoof 2

I dont mean to be morbid, but unfortunately, the death of a loved one is something everyone, (and pony) will have to confront during their lifetimes. I dont think it would be inappropriate at all for the creators to include an episode about AJ's parents, as long as they handle it right.

I don't see why they can't touch on it a bit, BUT they would have to tread carefully. I mean I think "Static Shock" did it wonderfully in regards to the main characters mother dying in the line of duty as a fire fighter, and him having to come to terms with that during a memorial service in his teen years. It made me tear up, but I thought it was beautifully handled.

Pathfinder dude, that was one of my fav shows when I was a kid! I agree that episode really was handled well, and there were feels. :(

• Brohoof 4

I'm pretty sure this was canon a while ago anyway wasn't it. They might accidentally pull a Derpy again if they do an episode about Apple parents. But it could work. I'm not sure though.

I think they'd be able to pull off an episode like that. They don't necessarily need to focus on the fact they were killed, just that they are no longer with us. Death isn't something that kids never hear about so in my opinion I don't think it would be a bad idea.

If they did it in a smart, subtle way I don't think it would cause any problems.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Betcha it happens in the same episode Applebloom gets her Cutie Mark! One line from each AB, AJ, and Big Mac ... done and organic to the situation.

That would be brilliant, I could see Granny and AJ struggling to say something about them once AB gets her cutie mark, only for Big Mac to finish their stutterings by saying something like "Ma and Pa would have been proud". They all reply with a resounding eeyup. :)

Edited by Guest

Umm AJ's perent's dead canon? that is quite hard to tackle past Hasbro  :blink:  anyway I don;t know exactly how it could go past but putting it in a gentle way is all I can think of...If anyone is gonna go past Hasbro with it it would likely (sadly) be one of the pets....

I don't see why not, I know it's a stretch to tackle lost of parents in MLP though Some children grew up only having a single parent. I think they could relate and maybe give them a little push for those who are having a hard time. but of course knowing MLP they will go to the way which is very subtle because you know... parents these days they are afraid of the fantasy in a screen ;)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think this is the most requested episode concept for a future episode in relation to featuring Applejack and her family.  I've been in this boat wondering if the writers would ever tackle that subject (got frequent mention in why is it a cop out thread).  I figured the writers had ended it since the two stars thing and that was as far as they would go.  But if they are still trying to get that story, I'm surprised.  I honestly think, MLP:FIM could tackle the subject about death in a meaningful manner fit for a lesson about life, I think it's one of the few mature topics it could do and has the potential to do it right.  I just would not be surprised if Hasbro is still scared about letting it pass, it's really whether or not they say yes or no at this point.

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The show has already touched upon death, you know.

post-24988-0-24514000-1406588476_thumb.jpg

So I don't see a problem with doing it again. Besides, it would be nice to see the show tackle the concept of death in a proper, and less villain related, way.

Edited by ShadowPirateX

Woudn't little girls watching it ask their parents if those ponies going to die too?  Seem like magical world of fantasy is becoming more realistic with diseases, disability and death with each season. We already seen disabled pony on a wheelchair. Not sure if it fits that colorfull utopia.

I don't think utopia doesn't involve death and disease.  Now war and hatred leading to violence -- that's not there (so far).

I think it's good to show that utopia has death, and that it's sad, and that you can persevere or even thrive.

• Brohoof 1

Many children shows at least addressed the death of someone close to them, and it's something that many children are dealing right now. It definitely can be pulled off in FIM 

• Brohoof 2