Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First MLP, what's next?

AveryGamerDude

Now you see, MLP is different from most shows targeted towards little girls (but they're getting better), in the fact that it actually has well planned plots and good character development, while others don't. I've heard Littlest Pet Shop is fine, but I don't feel like watching it. It's not about who the show is directed at, it's how well the show is written.

Who knows. With all this breaking of "gender boundaries" and finding shows meant for a different audience entertaining, the next evolution will most likely be a return to a slightly lessened atmosphere that surrounded children's shows during the 1980s. With the large scale acceptance of non-gender specific tv the next "big hit" will be tv that caters specifically to one gender. However this will only occur after 20 or so years of continued development in non-gender specific media. This is of course due to youth rebellion, and the standard changes that come with it.

As for other shows trying to go along the same lines as FiM, they will never achieve the widespread success that FiM has. FiM came along at the perfect time (with the internet culture becoming mainstream, be it positive or negative, with the large scale rise of adults viewing cartoons) and it had designs that tugged right at the biological protection mechanisms that are the very same that allow us to find kittens cute. It really was the perfect storm of children's TV. And recreating such a huge change will not happen for a long time.

Shows for girls, shows for boys, blah-blah-blah. With any luck, we'll soon see a day when all of this needless gendering nonsense is done with, and a show can simply be good, be it about traditionally masculine things or traditionally feminine ones, or any mix thereof. I think that's what MLP has started, a push for cartoons to be enjoyable by all, even if they're about something as traditionally meant for one gender as candy-colored pony girls. And don't get me started on the 'brony' movement, a gender-neutral group using a masculine term to describe their love for a feminine show. The gender-norm subversion is just too delicious for words  :wub:

Fangirling aside, I couldn't say what "girly" show might get a reboot next, but the question does make me wonder if there are any shows "for boys" that could get similar reboots that make them more enjoyable for a gender non-specific audience

This... is the most beautiful post of the day.

(edited)

I always found this an interesting topic. It will never be possible to replicate the insane success of the Brony fandom exactly. This was a one-in-a-thousand show that got everything right and struck at the right time, and absolutely no one could have predicted it.

I latched onto it simply because I found it to be the best-written, best-constructed cartoon in the sea of mediocrity that makes up Western animation today. There's no singular reason why it's so popular. There's an amalgamation of reasons, and there's only one such known combination that makes for such an awesome fanbase that other artists would probably sell their soul for. You're a part of it if you're on this site.

We can't really predict where the next extreme fanbase like Trekkies, Bronies, etc, will come from, but we can keep trying.

I encourage all aspiring animators, writers, and directors here to study this show and its subtext. Find out what exactly you find good about it and what others see in it. What did the show do right and wrong? If you can put together all of the elements of great direction and memorable characters that this show had and then some, maybe you could be sitting on the next smash-hit.

Edited by Wind Chaser

(edited)

To any who say that it will never happen again @@Wind Chaser, @@M'aiq the Liar, just think about 5 years ago if you would have said that MLP would have happened.

Given; it happened once.  It is possible that it could happen again.

I'm not saying it'll never happen again. It's just that this exact combination was unlikely, seemingly once in a lifetime, and that this success will be extremely hard to replicate, but I don't doubt that another show could become as powerful as MLP. It could happen.

In the final paragraph, I do say that if this show was to be studied and taken as an example of what to do and what not to do, maybe we can end up with something even bigger and better than MLP. We just don't know that for sure yet. We can keep speculating but no one will know for sure.

Edited by Wind Chaser

(edited)
With the large scale acceptance of non-gender specific tv the next "big hit" will be tv that caters specifically to one gender.

I would prefer to see the end of gender altogether so that no media would ever feel compelled to cater to it.

Edited by Silver Letter

I would prefer to see the end of gender altogether so that no media would ever feel compelled to cater to it.

As long as humans are born with x or y chromosomes, gender will continue to exist. Because the addition of those chromosomes make that human dimorphic according to which they received.

I would prefer to see the end of gender (roles) altogether so that no media would ever feel compelled to cater to it.

(edit mine)

As long as there are hormonal differences, there will be differences.  But, they don't need to be as rigidly enforced.

@M'aiq the Liar

@paradoxial

When I speak of "gender", it is not in reference to biological sex. Gender is a cultural phenomenon that changes over time, which proves that it is artificial and not bound to biology which can not be altered outside of aesthetic changes.

We've seen a bunch of grown men and teenagers become OCD about a show that was meant for little girls in less than a year, but first it was MLP, but what's next? Care Bears? Barbie? Littlest Pet Shop? Angelina

Ballerina?! What do you guys think?

Care bears is cool let us like what we want.
  • Brohoof 1