Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Lucy discussion topic (obvious spoilers are obvious)

Discordian

I just got back from seeing Lucy in theaters. It didn't do anything new or particularly special but what it did do I thought was done well. The ending was predictable but loved it.

I thought the pace of the movie was perfect. They wasted no time getting from one segment to another and it all escalated at just the right times.

I think my favorite thing about the entire movie was rather than being entirely supportive of either creationism or evolution it was more of a combination of both. At the end, when Lucy said "I am everywhere", I just lost it. Even if I knew it was coming that was the best way they could have ended the movie. :wub:

I don't know how accurate the science, physics and math are in the movie but for uneducated peons like myself they certainly made it sound impressive. :lol:

Did you see it? What did you think? Why did you think that?

Side note: I practically expected them to make a reference to I Love Lucy. I don't really know why other than the title.

At the end of the movie when she said "I am everywhere" on the phone I couldn't help but say "Lucy! You got some 'splainin' to do!" :lol:

• Brohoof 2

I saw Lucy a few days ago, and I can say that I enjoyed it. It was short, and sweet at only 88 minutes long. The movie wasn't really anything new, but it was still a fun one to watch none the less. The ending was odd, yet satisfying. So Lucy basically becomes like Madoka from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, where she's everywhere at once. Awesome!

I saw Lucy a few days ago, and I can say that I enjoyed it. It was short, and sweet at only 88 minutes long. The movie wasn't really anything new, but it was still a fun one to watch none the less. The ending was odd, yet satisfying. So Lucy basically becomes like Madoka from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, where she's everywhere at once. Awesome!

The whole thing where Lucy became infinite was a great moment. I thought it was an excellent way to end the movie, especially with the whole time as the only form of measurement thing. :lol:

Well, it's rated R. I wouldn't go to any movie above say, PG-13.

Well, it's unfortunate, I was kinda looking forward to it.

So is it that you wouldn't or that you can't? There's a big difference there. :P

• Brohoof 1

This probably seems silly, but I got really put off when i saw trailers because they're basing the plot off the whole "10% of the human brain" thing, which isn't true.

I don't know. You guys say its pretty good, so maybe Ill see it eventually.

This probably seems silly, but I got really put off when i saw trailers because they're basing the plot off the whole "10% of the human brain" thing, which isn't true.

I don't know. You guys say its pretty good, so maybe Ill see it eventually.

What's a little science-fiction without a bit of overblown fiction? :lol:

Yes, I can say I went and saw it with this person that made the topic xD... The problem is that I am not big on evolution like this movie brings... I am a Christian and things that they put in this movie that we are made from monkeys and other stuff isn't my cup of tea. 

beside all of that I really like the lucy when she got this thng that can make her go up and up with her mind and all that other stuff seriously she is totally badsass when she does it. 

(edited)

Yes, I can say I went and saw it with this person that made the topic xD... The problem is that I am not big on evolution like this movie brings... I am a Christian and things that they put in this movie that we are made from monkeys and other stuff isn't my cup of tea.

Now you know how a philosopher or scientist (or wannabe of either) feels when a movie like God's Not Dead comes along being too preachy on the Christian side of things and makes the Christian side sound too good while making the other side look unimportant or just straight up wrong. ;)

Ego stroking = bad juju.

Edited by Discordian

I watched the trailer, and it seems like it's two previews for two different movies. Also, considering the whole humans only use 10% of their brain thing is untrue, it seems incredibly silly to me.

Disbelief not suspended. Nor are double negatives.

• Brohoof 1

Now you know how a philosopher or scientist (or wannabe of either) feels when a movie like God's Not Dead comes along being too preachy on the Christian side of things and makes the Christian side sound too good while making the other side look unimportant or just straight up wrong. ;)

Ego stroking = bad juju.

Hate to tell you this "pal" but things like God's not dead he got schooled up to almost the last scene when he finally comes to his senses and researches more about both subjects.

Hate to tell you this "pal" but things like God's not dead he got schooled up to almost the last scene when he finally comes to his senses and researches more about both subjects.

I sense much hostility.

I never saw God's Not Dead but I always hear how it's completely one-sided towards Christianity. I could be wrong.

Maybe you should take a cue from him and research both subjects instead of trying to shun one side completely. ;)

nope the guy totally blows him out the water with his atheist  up to almost the end of the movie because all he was doing was being one sided and he used things that he know against that. 

THATS WHY HE HAD TO DO RESEARCH!

The movie is very interesting, because things like this are something that made me think about the truth behind our origins. Unfortunately, I watched it with my Christian friends and some of them went "This is a bad movie, cos it's so atheist" other went "Meh, as long as Scarlett Johansson is in it, I'm fine with it"

The movie is very interesting, because things like this are something that made me think about the truth behind our origins. Unfortunately, I watched it with my Christian friends and some of them went "This is a bad movie, cos it's so atheist"

Talk about the worst reasoning of all time. Ever. Forever.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I want to like this movie... I really, honestly want to like it, but the whole 10% thing was an instant no. The fact that this movie is going to perpetuate that myth just makes me too angry to see it. The FX are good, and I've been wanting to see a decent superhero movie for a long time, but that myth is the biggest problem I have with it. So Lucy fans, feel free to try and convince me that it's possible to look past this and enjoy the movie.

I don't know how accurate the science, physics and math are in the movie but for uneducated peons like myself they certainly made it sound impressive. :lol:

In a word, the academics in this movie are WRONG. The science in this movie is based on neurology that was debunked more than 30 years ago, the physics can be summed down to 'nothing in the movie works like that in real life', and I haven't seen it yet (waiting to rent it since I can't justify a $12 movie ticket on something I want and don't want to see at the same time, see my above post as to why) so I can't attest to the math.

I saw this movie with some friends, and to say the least it really is being a poseur. And I was one of the nicest to it out of the group I saw it with.

The movie, by using that "10% brain capacity" myth, really put itself in a position where it really can't be taken all that seriously. Critics even point to it as a metaphor that tells us not to take it seriously. It continues with all this BS pseudoscience and drops in all of this philosophical rambling in a poor attempt to ape The Matrix. I'm sorry, but if your movie is pretty much encouraging us to "use only 10% of our brains", I can barely even take what you're saying with a grain of salt.

It attempts to justify the device of 100% capacity unlocking godlike powers by connecting dolphins' echolocation abilities to their use of 20% of their brains' capacity. Yeah, not buying it.

And then, the rest of the movie is about her fighting Korean gangsters. The whole thing becomes futile pretty quick. You've got a lady who has come across the powers of a god and expensive bodyguards toting assault rifles and martial arts skills is all you've got? This really could have been resolved so much quicker than the short running time this movie had. We already know she can will win!

There was this quote I found somewhere that said that a movie about powerful people merely using their powers is nowhere near as investing as a movie where a seemingly powerless person finds the power within him. I think that's advice that could've been used here.

In closing, I'd also like to say that the use of animal metaphors in the movie was completely pointless and showed zero subtlety. That ties into the overall condescending tone the movie had. By its use of pseudoscience and thin plotting, this movie was in no position to take such a tone to its audience.

After this and Transcendence (which I actually believe to be a better film than this), I believe science fiction in film needs a real kick in the ass to get back on its feet.

Edited by Wind Chaser

Some of the imagery was cool but the movie overall made no sense and...just no!

Also if you use 100% of your brain at once you make people float and make cars float! 

(We use 100% of our brain just at different times so that makes the statement above seem super-unlikely!)

Some of the imagery was cool but the movie overall made no sense and...just no!

Also if you use 100% of your brain at once you make people float and make cars float! 

(We use 100% of our brain just at different times so that makes the statement above seem super-unlikely!)

More importantly, if you use 100% of your brain you can recognize how stupid the premise of this movie is!