Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ebola Virus Discussion

Simon

I don't understand why these doctors coming back from Africa are making such a big deal about being quarantined , it's only for three weeks. Having an excuse to be inside for three weeks sounds like a vacation to me, just give me my PC and an internet conection and I'm good, but noooo these people have to go out on the town as soon as they get back and rub their hands over everything :okiedokielokie: . Next time I get a cold I'll go over to their house and lick all their forks and glasses and see how they feel about that.

• Brohoof 2

We're not a third world country and don't have rituals where we eat off of dead bodies. We're fine.

Ebola can be killed before it even reaches you by simply washing your hands and just remember - more United States citizens have been married to Kim Kardashian than they have died of Ebola.

Haven't posted in this thread yet due to obvious reasons.

But I've heard from experts (Not the news) that the virus is actually hard to contract from bodily fluid ie. Blood.

It would be very surprising to catch it in such a hygienic country, as long as you bother to go with the precautions.

Keeping in mind that it's obvious some people are catching it due to a lack of clean water in some places.

The only airborne Ebola we know of (which can harm humans) is the weaponized one

the weaponized one

weaponized

Faith in humanity lost. There are some lines that are not meant to be crossed. Creating any weaponized disease is completely disgusting, let alone Ebola.

That said, it's difficult to engineer a virus like that. Someone would have actively had to spend a lot of time on it. Such a person... doesn't deserve to be human. I refuse to call that... thing a person. Even psychopaths have lines...

the military tests in the strain you spoke of were unnaturally aided. (aerosol =/= airborne). 

Thank God. Something like that doesn't deserve to exist. And hopefully, it never will.

• Brohoof 2

Faith in humanity lost. There are some lines that are not meant to be crossed. Creating any weaponized disease is completely disgusting, let alone Ebola.

That said, it's difficult to engineer a virus like that. Someone would have actively had to spend a lot of time on it. Such a person... doesn't deserve to be human. I refuse to call that... thing a person. Even psychopaths have lines...

Weaponized diseases would be for military use only and used in war. What does this have to do with one's faith in humanity? I don't think it's really all that surprising because government/military enforcement will stop at nothing to protect their country.

Edited by Princess Sapphire

Weaponized diseases would be for military use only and used in war. What does this have to do with one's faith in humanity? I don't think it's really all that surprising because government/military enforcement will stop at nothing to protect their country.

That's the flaw here. There's always a line. And engineering one of the most terrible diseases to be used on any number of people is definitely crossing that line.

It's bad enough that they're killing people to begin with. Must they really do it in such a horrid way?

Every life lost in war is another fragment of faith that I lose. Weaponized diseases would very quickly accelerate that process, if not completely maximize it. I wouldn't want to live on this planet anymore. 

Though, this is getting off-topic. And I don't really want to continue discussing this. PM me if you'd like, but I just... need to be done for a bit.

Edited by Yerserf
  • Brohoof 1

By the way the general media is dealing with it, They are not focusing on what they should be focusing on. The thing is, unlike all the other "pop culture" diseases/infections/sickness's from the past 10 years HAVE NOT had the mortality rate that Ebola has, nor the extremity in the suffering while getting through it if you are infected.

They are focusing on Dr.'s that although are doing something very much needed, should not be complaining about quarantine if it is going to protect the general populace (they talk about this as if their human rights are being violated, but the safety of many outweigh the COMFORT of one). People are complaining about quarantine because it takes them away from their jobs, family and friends....but personally I'd stay away from them, because I love my husband enough to NOT want an IOTA of a chance of him getting infected.

In the USA, it will only take one tiny flub up for it to spread. Why else has 2 nurses gotten it? In a state of the art medical facility, two nurses got it.  Although there is an incubation period for Ebola, all that one person has to do is get sick with it, deny he's sick until he can't take it anymore, and then go to the ER. By the time you vomiting and such, the risk of exposure is quite high for those who care for you. There are many people here who are too stubborn to go to a doctor as well as the fact that most people will wave the beginning symptoms off as the flu. Luckily it seems like other than that guy in Texas, only health workers have been affected, and the disease itself is coming from another country which few people travel to....

Yes, the West is a country with different religious, medical, and hygienic practises than the part of Africa Ebola is coming from, and yes, overall because of these practises it will be difficult to get the disease, but really all it takes is one mistake and a multitude of people could be infected, which will create a domino effect (you infect a friend of a friend kind of thing). This will easily be stopped here, but the fact remains that everyone will run in fear for their lives at that rate. People are already freaking out in ways completely uncalled for, acting like everyone around them has Ebola. Over reaction is a Bad reaction. Overall people are not being SMART about Ebola as far as the general populace goes. The news sure isn't helping, and depending on you are listening/talking to, information is misleading and may even be false!  Knowledge is power and the lack of general knowledge about this disease is creating more chaos than it's worth, and that chaos will lead to mistakes on the part of the people trying to help stop Ebola.

By the way, the CFR (case fatality rate- the proportion of deaths within an infected population) of Ebola is on par with the Bubonic Plague.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not worried the slightest bit about it you can only become infected if you come in contact with someone who has it and I generally avoid people so that works

Well... that's one way to avoid catching it. :P