Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ebola Virus Discussion

Simon

With a 90% mortality rate, it would appear so..

Actually it's 100%. And it already happened. We all died a few days ago. If you think you're alive, you're just a zombie. On the bright side, brains go really well with scrambled eggs ;)

All kidding aside, our worst enemies, as usual, are panic and ignorance. eg, licking used needles is a bad idea :P

• Brohoof 3

Knock it off with the flame war. If you can't be respectful, don't post.

I've hidden several posts. If this continues this thread will be locked.

• Brohoof 8

I think one of the ebola patients at Emory is improving. The other has only been there for like 2 hours.

It looks like the current West African outbreak is only at about 55% mortality, and that's not with advance medical care.

EDIT: As of 1 August 2014, the cumulative number of cases attributed to EVD in the four countries (Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone) stands at 1,603 including 887 deaths.

source: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2014_08_04_ebola/en/

Edited by Simon

Like most people have said, there isn't much to worry about. The US would probably quarintine the person with it if it ever got to the US. Even so, what are the odds of that? People really need to stop freaking out thinking one little thing like this could equal the end of the world. I'm really getting sick of stuff like that. 

• Brohoof 4

im sure cdc would handle it before it even gets a chance to spread in large numbers and get things locked down in the moment of a case no matter how small.

Well, the virus is now considered a global threat, so, if the damn thing ever comes to Mexico and infects me, my family and friends, what's the best way to face death with dignity?

On the other hand, the only hope would be experimental serums like Zmapp and similar ones which have been tested recently. Hopefully they'll be able to ultimately beat the crap outta than damn disease.

Edited by Dino-Mario

I'm not sure, but I think I'm alive. I have a pulse, I am breathing, I am thinking, I am typing this, yeah. I'm pretty sure I'm alive. I'm not sure about everyone else, though. 

Don't worry, we are not all going to die. 

I seriously hope it doesn't spread any further and that we're not facing extinction. If i had to write down my least preferred apocalypse scenarios, "Global pandemic" would be at the bottom - right behind "Shark-person invasion" and "Death by a black hole".

Oh and do you guys know what happens to people who get Ebola? No? ...Lucky you. *shivers*

I'm sure someone already explained this, but I will do it again, anyway.

The ebola virus isn't a threat to us. Chances are small that it will actually reach the western civilizations, and even if it does, it can only be transmitted by blood (Or maybe some other bodily fluids, I don't know the details). Our countries are generally well vaccinated and that will also decreases the chances of infection.

• Brohoof 3

I'm sure someone already explained this, but I will do it again, anyway.

The ebola virus isn't a threat to us. Chances are small that it will actually reach the western civilizations, and even if it does, it can only be transmitted by blood (Or maybe some other bodily fluids, I don't know the details). Our countries are generally well vaccinated and that will also decreases the chances of infection.

Not to mention how much out country over reacts to potentially threatening viruses. If it were to come to the states, the person would be quarantined in less than 10 seconds before it even spreads.
  • Brohoof 5

You're all right, media always fuckin' overreacts to everything. When comet Elenin passed near Earth in September 2011 everybody though it'd bring the Apocalypse, and in the end nothing happened at all.

• Brohoof 1

Thing is, this is not the first Ebola outbreak... the first outbreak was in Uganda in 2000, and you still see Uganda now do you? In fact you probably forgot it excised up until now when 4 countries were effect by it. 

I have a slight fear for it, but 75% to survive is in AFRICA. Where medicine is scarce and hospitals are in horrible condition. People die of many deceases in Africa that when people from other parts of the world catch can easily get out of. 

• Brohoof 2

I dunno. It is a possibility, but I doubt it.

Of course, knowing the US Military these days, they will just go kill everything with Ebola. (No offense to US, thats just a joke even though this isnt a laughing matter)

Edited by thecreeper123455

No. Ebola is not going to kill us all. The people who have it are being quarintined. And the chance of it spreading like wildfire are very low. Considering the disease's properties.

Pic not related

post-20039-0-40122900-1407802617.png

Edited by Zwii
  • Brohoof 2

Crap it's the Croatoan virus.

Anywho, I highly doubt we're all going to die. I mean, there is no cure for cancer but we aren't getting it left and right / dying left and right.

That's only because cancer can't really "spread". It's not even a virus; it's mutated cells.

This whole thing is being blown far out of proportion.

The vector Ebola uses is bodily fluid, something that pretty much everyone in healthcare knows to avoid at all costs. And even at that, the skin is exceedingly good at insulating the body from pretty much everything. Unless the infected fluid comes into contact with a break in the skin or a mucus membrane (nasal cavity, mouth, etc.), chance of infection is minimal. Besides, this disease is bad enough that pretty much anyone who has it's gonna get quarantined. Basically, this disease is NOT easy to get.

It also helps that some treatments are being developed. Not sure how far they've gotten/ will get, but it's something.

Ultimately, this outbreak isn't something to worry about. The ladies and gentlemen in healthcare know what they're doing. Before long, it'll be under control and in the history books. And we'll have learned from it, which will make any future outbreaks easier to handle.

No need to worry.  :)

• Brohoof 5

With Ebola you don't! It takes 21 days for symptoms to show. That's 21 days of spreading it around!

Thats inaccurate. You have to actually HAVE the symptoms. The incubation is 21 days then you can get infected. Its one of those things that you can't get unless your around a person in close contact after the signs sre shown.

Besides, your more likely to die from Measles, the various flu strains, Malaria, etc. In fact, more deaths are caused by the flu than Ebola because its much easier to catch. More people are killed from Malaria because its easier to catch. (Mosquitoes killing more people per year than any other animal just from being a carrier) In fact, there are even deadlier diseases and THIS is worrying? I'd rather worry over dying by the stomach virus (the leading cause of food poisoning and very easy to get) than Ebola.

The scariest disease in the world is one from an amoeba that has a 99 percent kill rate. Only 3 known survivors. Even with this, the easiest prevention is: Don't swim in warm water areas without a nose plug and or don't swim in these places with open wounds. The deadliest things are prevented the easiest.

• Brohoof 5

News out of Emory is a bit scarce, but last reports say that the first person brought in is doing better day by day. The only other thing I've heard is that they ran out of experimental treatment. For whatever that's worth.