Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony disorders and handicaps

Nit Pick

This I think could be addressed.   My OC has OCD.  Do you think that other ponies in Equestria can have something along the lines of OCD or autism?  If we look at Derpy, would it be possible for the shows creators to bring up Strabismus or Amblyopia?  As for handicaps, we got Trade Ya; that one pony with a wheelchair.  So I would think they can introduce characters similar to Rain Man in my opinion.

Now about OC's if you saw a character that someone created and they gave said character a disability or a mental handicap like autisim.  Would they get bonus points?  I mean, I have Aspergers (or whatever it's called now) and I gave my pony OCD and a made up pony type of disorder called Four Clover Syndrome (which is like autisim).

Please try to support why it can be a good or bad idea.  This is a discussion after all.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, I think they could address issues like that in the show as long as they keep it mild, I guess. I mean, Derpy (or whatever she's called) obviously has a handicap. Not sure whether it is a physical or a mental one.

About OCs, I don't know, because I am not into roleplay.

I have Aspergers (or whatever it's called now)

Asperger's Syndrome is still called Asperger's Syndrom.  Some books consider it to be a form of high-functioning Autism but this issue is still under debate. 

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
Asperger's Syndrome is still called Asperger's Syndrom.  Some books consider it to be a form of high-functioning Autism but this issue is still under debate.

Ah ok.  I wasn't sure myself about it.  Thanks.

About OCs, I don't know, because I am not into roleplay.

I've gotten out of roleplay myself, but it's more of a writing standpoint. 

Edited by Nit Pick

I've gotten out of roleplay myself, but it's more of a writing standpoint. 

Well, purely from a reader's point of view, I would not mind if  a pony was handicapped. But, only if it actually adds something important to his backstory. I would not like it if a pony just had a "random" handicap just because it makes it more dramatic

Besides, it should not be exaggerated.  

Well, purely from a reader's point of view, I would not mind if  a pony was handicapped. But, only if it actually adds something important to his backstory. I would not like it if a pony just had a "random" handicap just because it makes it more dramatic   Besides, it should not be exaggerated.

OCs can have whatever you want them to have.

Exactly.  I just mean along the lines of bonus points.  Like say an earth pony with a math talent is able to solve algebraic equations at two years old because said pony is like Rain Man.  It CAN be OK to have a normal pony with a math talent but a pony with a disorder can stand out from the other ponies with math talents is all I'm saying.

(edited)

I have severe Asperger's Syndrome, so my Ponysona has it as well, since my Ponysona (I don't like the term 'OC') is a representation of me, he is me. :P I also have Hydrocephalous but I have not thought of incorporating that at this point, it would be hard to notice with a Pony.

As for the first question, of course the ponies could have disorders like these. Anything with a brain has the potential for malfunctions and problems with said brain. Will they ever be shown? Nope. Certain overly stupid parents would be offended that they acknowledge that those disorder exist. They would see it is 'making fun of those people'. Just like the Derpy incident. Sad, but true.

Edited by Kyoshi(Turbo Button)
  • Brohoof 3

Well, since ponies seem to have minds that function the same way ours do, then yeah. Why should they be exempt from disorders?  :huh:

As for the first question, of course the ponies could have disorders like these. Will they ever be shown? Nope. Certain overly stupid parents would be offended that they acknowledge that those disorder exist. They would see it is 'making fun of those people'. Just like the Derpy incident. Sad, but true.

Good point. Nowadays, 'acknowledgement' is often substituted for 'encouragement', sadly.  >_>

• Brohoof 1

This pony:

large.png

Obviously this pony has a disability which makes him unable to walk. In Trade Ya (S4E22) he played a part. 

The voice actor who played the character has a similar disability, so it was put on his pony character.

If you want to look up on it, his name is Sylvain Lavasseur Portelance, and his character name was Stellar Eclipse.

• 11 months later...

There is a story on Fimfiction Unwell by HazamaBrony.  Twilight has ACMS (Abstract Cutie Mark Syndrome = Pony Asperger's).  Much of the story is her friends' reactions to being told.

Plus, in one of the season 4 episodes (ICR which one, I'm having a Senior Moment) Dash wants to join the Wonderbolt Reserve & is shown to have a learning disability (probably ADD), if that counts.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have to ask, since when is Derpy handicapped?

Whoa, that's an old post.

Yeah I don't know why I mentioned her, she isn't handicapped. I guess I meant she just has a problem with her eyes.

But she shouldn't be in my post.

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

Twilight obviously has a very serious case of OCD which we have seen throughout the series especially in episodes like Lesson Zero and It's About Time though she seems to have improved quite in this though sometimes exhibits some subtle traits of it in more recent episodes. There is also Granny Smith who has been shown on multiple occasions to have a bad hip and other age related maladies as well as various ponies with obvious illnesses some of them physical handicaps in the episode Leap of Faith.

I never thought Derpy would ever have a speaking role again but she did in the recent episode Slice of Life which went off without the same kind of major controversy as her first major speaking role. Since this went well it would be possible for them to make an episode about a pony on the Autism spectrum for example and I wouldn't mind actually seeing an episode like that though with how complicated a matter that is they would have to be careful though I know they are capable of pulling it off effectively.

I have to ask, since when is Derpy handicapped? 

Derpy clearly seems to have Strabismus aka lazy eye which is likely one of the reasons for her clumsiness which is a handicap of sorts but there has not been enough evidence to suggest any other "handicap" physical or mental aside from that.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 3

I have mixed feels about this.  I have obsessive compulsive disorder, and portrayals of the condition (in TV and film) have sometimes rubbed me the wrong way.  Not that I'm completely humorless about the subject, but I would hope that anyone who gave their OC any condition, physical or mental, would demonstrate - if not sensitivity - empathy.  Though perhaps that's the point?  Idunno.

I think it's a fine idea to have mental and/or physical disabilities on the show, as long as it's tastefully and sensitively done.  I think it could be educational and make for some much more interesting and poignant stories.

• Brohoof 1

I have lazy eye blindness (amblyopia).  Most of the time, it doesn't matter much.  However, there is a thing called "stereoscopic vision".  It is based on the fact that each eye sends a slightly different picture to your brain.  Your brain puts the images together & builds a 3 D picture of the world.  This is mostly important because without it, you lack some types of depth perception.  Basically, I can still tell (for example) that car coming at me is closer than the corner.  Plus, my mind compares the size of the car to nearby things & gets an idea how far the car is by that.  Without 2 good eyes & with no visual cues, I can't tell how far away things are or how fast they are moving in relation to me.  Thus, I suck at tennis & baseball (can't tell where the ball is)

IRL, this is not that important.  3D movies are no big deal (they look 2D to me) & I can't get a pilot's license.  Otherwise, not really a big deal.

In EQ, no big deal for Unicorns or Earth Ponies.  For a Pegasus trying to fly, it's a HUGE handicap.