Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is something you want to be good at?

FadedSkies

So you kind of just learn by watching and listening, instead of someone showing you music, or a guitar tab

Yep, but if someone shows me where to place my fingers, I learn it instantly. If a teacher at school need to show a bass line to someone, they teach me it in 10 seconds and they let me teach them while they do something else lol. I'm not really good with tabs, but I'm practising on it. :)

I can read like sheet music probably, since I play Trumpet in band at my school, so I read music all the time. But I also do stuff by ear on my Trumpet sometimes, after some struggling I can usually figure stuff out on Trumpet, on guitar though i'm not quite used to it enough

I'm a zero when it comes to read music sheets. I've learned to tell where to place my finger on a certain note, but I just can't find the rythm. :/ While I'm still not perfect to find a sound on my guitar (because there are so many notes + chords!), I can whistle any songs. I guess it's a mather of time until I can do this on guitar.

I've learned like a handful of guitar chords maybe, but while I know some guitar chords, I still have to practice a lot with the technique of actually playing them one after the other and switching between them all while keeping proper technique.

After two years, I managed to learn E, A, B and D. Nothing else. o_O And yea, switching your fingers can be difficult. ^_^ My trick is to pick two chords and alternate them until you can do them easily.

So yeah, i'm still pretty novice lol. I suppose I know some basics, but I certainly need more work. Of course i've only been playing for like a month, so I guess i can't expect to much.

Ofc, when you begin, you are uncomfortable with the guitar. You're like derping around with the strings and you can't even pick the right ones. xD This is like learning to talk. After some time you will be comfortable with the tools and you'll be able to play well. :)

Do you have like perfect pitch or something? Or just really good relative pitch? Because playing stuff by ear isn't something everyone can do. Well, I guess to an extent anyone can, but it'll certainly take some a lot more fiddling around to get it.

I don't know if I have perfect pitch really. The only thing I know is that I can remember any songs (even 20 minutes long) without any flaws. But that's in my head. (Ahaha, I don't need MP3!) As I said I can whistle, but I won't be able to tell that this note is a D (for exemple). From learning that fast, I guess I could explain that with my great visuo-spatial skills, because I tend to remember a song on the guitar by where I place my fingers. (And I'm very good at racing games)

Regardless, that makes things make sense more. So thanks for the clarification! And good luck!

Thanks, and keep practicing! :)
  • Brohoof 1

Yep, but if someone shows me where to place my fingers, I learn it instantly. If a teacher at school need to show a bass line to someone, they teach me it in 10 seconds and they let me teach them while they do something else lol. I'm not really good with tabs, but I'm practising on it. :)

I'm a zero when it comes to read music sheets. I've learned to tell where to place my finger on a certain note, but I just can't find the rythm. :/ While I'm still not perfect to find a sound on my guitar (because there are so many notes + chords!), I can whistle any songs. I guess it's a mather of time until I can do this on guitar.

After two years, I managed to learn E, A, B and D. Nothing else. o_O And yea, switching your fingers can be difficult. ^_^ My trick is to pick two chords and alternate them until you can do them easily.

Ofc, when you begin, you are uncomfortable with the guitar. You're like derping around with the strings and you can't even pick the right ones. xD This is like learning to talk. After some time you will be comfortable with the tools and you'll be able to play well. :)

I don't know if I have perfect pitch really. The only thing I know is that I can remember any songs (even 20 minutes long) without any flaws. But that's in my head. (Ahaha, I don't need MP3!) As I said I can whistle, but I won't be able to tell that this note is a D (for exemple). From learning that fast, I guess I could explain that with my great visuo-spatial skills, because I tend to remember a song on the guitar by where I place my fingers. (And I'm very good at racing games)

Thanks, and keep practicing! :)

Really? That's pretty good

I would've thought that would make learning chords not that hard though, if you can remember where to put your fingers anyways?

Still pretty cool.

And guitar tabs are weird lol, I'll have to go over them again a few more times to really get them, and then playing them is entirely different matter.

Yeah, learning the strumming pattern and rhythmns and stuff is difficult, I certainly cannot really play anything straight off hearing it. Especially since the guitar is kinda confusing with which notes are what. Atleast on Trumpet and even Piano, I know what each note is, but on guitar I have to think a while.

And I can kinda whistle, but not very good, I can hum songs though usually. Especially since I also have been learning singing. 

Um. Let's see. I know G, D, E, A, B, C, A Minor And E Minor, I can play all those, and still remember how to play them, I'm not always the fastest at setting them all up, but I do know them.

I can't play any barre chords though, barre chords are freaking hard, I've tried, but not made much progress with them ;p.

And yeah, that's probably a good idea actually. I use to do that more ironically back when I know knew like 3 chords ;p.

Yep, practice makes perfect I suppose! I do want to learn it regardless. 

And if you can't say that this pitch is a D, or whatever, you probably don't have perfect pitch, but you still have some pretty good listening abilities and such regardless.

I don't have perfect pitch myself, but I like to think i'm pretty good with relative pitch(Where you basically just are able to know what note something is based upon other notes or related to other pitches, it's kind of like perfect pitch, except well, not perfect, and your not born with it ;p.)

Still impressive.

My cousin use to be pretty good at Racing games, I myself suck and don't know much about them anyways. I think my cousin was ranked in like the top 10 or 20 in like Forza or something. I forget which one exactly.

But impressive as well :D.

I will! And same on you :D.

• Brohoof 2

I wish I was good at painting.

I'm fairly good at drawing, but I can't paint for sh*t.

I've tried watching some tutorials on youtube on different techniques and.. I just failed at all of them.

• Brohoof 1

Playing instruments(mostly my ukelele I got for Christmas a couple years ago, and it's collecting dust...)- I just honestly have no patience to learn anything in this realm. My best friend literally plays drums(the school band kind, cause yolo), violen, piano and he's now learning the flute. JUST DANG. He makes me so angry, cause he's a beast.

Sing- I'm just god awful. Like I'm so tone dead it's hilarious. My other best friend is such a good singer. It makes me so angry and I get jealous. I went and saw him perform in some choir show at our school and he was awesome in his solo :( I really wish I was able to sing decent, but meh. Whatcha gonna do bout it? :maud:

Honestly that's about it. I'd probably say drawing, but I'm at least decent at it. Not totally amazing, but not horrible either. Although going on deviantart is a sure fire way to make you feel like crap.

But then I go to dragoart and I feel much better.

• Brohoof 1

I want to get really good at snowboarding, but every time I go I just fall on my ass a million times!  :o

Hopefully I'll do better next time.

I know how to snowboard. its fun when you get the hang of it. do you know the basic's?

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I know the basics. But I have trouble slowing down without falling.  :P

so  what you should do is when wanting to slowing down, turn your board to stop. don't stop completely. stop at the speed you want and then turn back to straight.

Edited by SOULEATERROX
  • Brohoof 1

I'd like to be able to find greater control of my internal energy; I've already been able to give myself cold chills and then focused adrenaline but it's not always a given that I can do it correctly all the time.  Some might ask, why, and, for what reason?  Mostly it's because I want to be able to correct my knee-jerk responsiveness and turn it into something I can control so that my mind and my energies are connected, and thus, so that I don't spontaneously get out of hand when it would be unnecessary; basically, I want to be able to remain cool when situations can seem to be getting out of hand, and on the other hand, not freeze up when I actually need the rush to get me out of a bad situation.  

Also, I'd like to be able to train my singing voice to be able to sing lower/deeper notes.  

• Brohoof 2

As of today, I know I'm quite emotional due to its a rememberence day of my father's memory, but in all the chaos of getting my husband to work, and not taking the right car, lack of communication etc etc. All of such has brought me to a pit of crying, all because I take things too personally and I feel like I just 'ruin' everyones plans or schedules even though I try to stay out of the way.

On the contrary my mother says that's not the case, it's just there's been a 'lack' of communication from all of us and that we need to 'talk' to each other more about our plans so that we can avoid this in the future.

I guess what I'm saying is, I want to get better at 'speaking my mind' and learn not to take things so personally.

It's pretty easy, just read and study. :)

haha I do read and study. I get awesome marks, but what I meant was crazy level smart. Like in Animes, if u know what I mean (light yagami and lelouch etc) which seems to be impossible