Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't Shining Armor live with Cadance in the Crystal Empire?

TheJLeeTeam

I'm just wondering since Shining Armor and Cadance are married you'd think they would live in the Crystal Empire together. But I haven't really seen them rule it together or at least I haven't seen a throne or room of his own. And in Twilight's Kingdom it looks like he is still working and living in Canterlot. Considering he's married to Cadance I thought he would be guarding in the Crystal Empire instead.

Either life/the quality of life/the standards of living are better in Canterlot... or, he needs a place to relax after spending time with Cadence, a place where he's unlikely to run into Cadence. Plus, he still probably has old friends in Canterlot, and a house with a few month's leftover already-paid rent.

He has a job to do, Captian of the Royal Guard, so hes stationed in Canterlot.. i HIGHLY doubt Celestia would allow him to move away from his post.. She might be kind, but shes also a ruler..

Well, soldiers have to go through the same thing, even when married. When overseas, they don't really get to see their families at all. They have to live in these areas they have to call home for months or even years until retirement.

Sadly do to the nature of the shows writers not putting any males in equal roles to there female counterparts, SA is more or less going to be treated like an accessory rather then a fully bodied co ruler no matter what. With TK we can assume that due to Cadence being in Canterlot that was why he was there. In EQG we can assume that he was training troops or doing something else since there really isn't any good reason why he wasn't their, outside if it being a supposed princess convention, so no boys aloud I guess? (Poor prince blood, he seriously will never get love at this rate). 

The only MLP media where he is shown doing anything ruler like is in the comics when Cadence was off taking a break, so we can make a small assumption there that his normal duties do not include the paper work side of ruling, which does make sense since he is a solider, thus we can make another assumption that he's in control of the military and defense side since in EG he was the one ordering the guards and private service around.

Sadly at this point only a lot of assumptions can be made about SA role in ruling the Crystal Empire and the like. 

What if he lives in the Crystal Empire, and just uses a teleportation spell to get to Canterlot for his job?

What if he lives in the Crystal Empire, and just uses a teleportation spell to get to Canterlot for his job?

Headcanon accepted!

He also may no longer be Royal Guard for Canterlot and was there in the finale to help protect the three Princesses.

Either one is acceptable to me :D

• Brohoof 1

At what point did it say he doesn't live in the Crystal Empire? All the times we've seen the empire he's been there. The reason he was in Canterlot in Twilight's Kingdom was a.) there was a huge threat to Equestria that he was likely called into help and b.) Cadance was in Canterlot that day. What more of a reason would he need than to protect his wife?

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

I'm just wondering since Shining Armor and Cadance are married you'd think they would live in the Crystal Empire together. But I haven't really seen them rule it together or at least I haven't seen a throne or room of his own. And in Twilight's Kingdom it looks like he is still working and living in Canterlot. Considering he's married to Cadance I thought he would be guarding in the Crystal Empire instead.

He does live with Cadance. He's usually in the Crystal Empire. Yes, he was in Canterlot in Twilight's Kingdom, back in his old position, but then, Cadance was in Canterlot as well.

He does live with Cadence.  I'm sure they had time together after the wedding.  But like anyone, he must go back to work.  

I haven't paid much attention, or they didn't really show it, but I don't really think he is still the royal guard for Celestia.  I would think he'd either be a ruler with Cadence, or be transferred to be Cadence's guard instead of Celestia's.  I'm sure he helps out with what Celestia needs him to do if there's trouble though, but I'm not sure if that's still his permanent post.

But I don't see Shining Armor having a throne or room of his own.

That doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't live in the empire though. Have we even seen Cadence's room?

In the end, the alicorns are the one considered royalty. While I am sure power could be shared in theory, Cadence is the one known as the 'crystal princess' to the crystal ponies.

But I don't see Shining Armor having a throne or room of his own.

Why would he need his own room?  He's married.

And he's probably busy being a guard in the Crystal empire and doesn't have time to sit down  :P

XD, I had a dream about this, tbh.  And I gotta say its funny b/c they're married, but they don't live with each other which is messed up.  However, that is a good question, but I believe he does live in the Crystal Empire, but doesn't show it. 

Unless his replacement is still in training

and all.   So he might have to jump

between the Crystal and Canterlot

and such given his replacement is

not ready to take the lead and such.

Hmm... New headcannon:

Like sister, like brother! Shining may officially be entitled to be a prince now, but that doesn't mean he wants to be spoiled by the royal life style. He still loves being captain of the guard and hanging out with the other guards he has befriended. If it is deemed necessary, he'll act on his title and powers as prince. But until then, he doesn't want ponies looking at him any different than before.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

IMO, Shining Armor's marriage to Cadence is what is called a "morganatic marriage" This refers to when someone marries into the nobility (usually royalty) without sufficient rank for them or their children to inherit the title.

So, yes he lives with Cadence but no, he doesn't rule.  In his case "Prince" is a courtesy title, not a reality.

I think that was more a time thing. Remember Tirek was on the loose at the time and presumably the capital would be on high alert, they would need the captain of the guard. Cadence was there even at the time as well.

All other times, I think it's safe to assume they are still at the Empire.