74 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite swords

• Western swords
    • Spanish swords
    • Chinese swords
    • I hate swords!
    • Other

I prefer knives but swords are alright as long as they are light

All swords are light. That some swords are heavy is a myth created by movies and video games. They are heavier than a knife, of course, but they are pretty damn light. That also includes the greatsword.

Edited by Ardhacandra
  • Brohoof 1

All swords are light. That some swords are heavy is a myth created by movies and video games. They are heavier than a knife, of course, but they are pretty damn light. That also includes the greatsword.

I admit the weight of swords can be overplayed. Depending upon the way they are build, swords can be fairly heavy. Replica swords maybe a bit lighter then their original which they copy, but you need to remember that metals get heavy and the metal to blades can make a sword heavy and in some cases hard to pick up.

• Brohoof 2

Swords are cool sure,but as a battle field impliment their day has come and gone. I am not bashing anyone that wishes to study swordsmanship or anyone who enjoys owning swords but in the terms of practicality in combat the sword has almost certainly seen its hayday pass.

post-23625-0-37103900-1408299355_thumb.jpg

However bladed weapons do still have some battlefield use. You can attach bayonets to firearms, thus making them more effective than a sword, and allowing for far greater utility than a long sword.

Swords are most certainly cool as a collectors peice, but outside that they really don't have battlefield practicality.

And as for lightsabers, if you have a bullet with a high enough velocity it is going to pass through your energy blade and you are going to get hit with molten metal. Or they could construct bullets from phrink alloy wich is lightsaber resistant.

Edited by M'aiq the Liar
  • Brohoof 2

Swords are cool sure,but as a battle field impliment their day has come and gone. I am not bashing anyone that wishes to study swordsmanship or anyone who enjoys owning swords but in the terms of practicality in combat the sword has almost certainly seen its hayday pass.

Yeah, that is the sad thing about such wonderful weapons. I wish it wasn't the case, partly because there is a part of me that would love to fight with swords but sadly I cannot. Most places now ban weapons, even if they are merely for show, in fear of the fact that they would be used for their assumed purpose.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, that is the sad thing about such wonderful weapons. I wish it wasn't the case, partly because there is a part of me that would love to fight with swords but sadly I cannot. Most places now ban weapons, even if they are merely for show, in fear of the fact that they would be used for their assumed purpose.

I never got the point in baning weapons, if a individual wishes to harm others enough they are going to find a way to do so. Regardless of what laws may be in place.

And swords can be very beautiful, with my albion gladius being an example. I wouldn't take it to combat with me over my ar-18, but it is a beautiful sword nontheless.

• Brohoof 1

I never got the point in baning weapons, if a individual wishes to harm others enough they are going to find a way to do so. Regardless of what laws may be in place.

And swords can be very beautiful, with my albion gladius being an example. I wouldn't take it to combat with me over my ar-18, but it is a beautiful sword nontheless.

That's the thing. Official types and people with power over buildings don't see the beauty to swords. All they see is a weapon that is used to harm people. They fear the use of it and ban it for that soul reason alone. Never mind it being a centerpiece in someones apartment or home, it's marked immediately as a weapon for killing.

• Brohoof 3

I like swords. Rebellion in DmC 3 is awesome (shh, can make real one, not me, osmeone else)

I prefer knives to swords to be honest, m9 bayonet is awesome. So are some other ones, bowie.

Then I prefer normal swords, like, not great swords, or claymores or anything. Just a normal sized one. But I think I would prefer an axe to a sword, knife to an axe.

Theyre great, however i prefer shorter ones like the Xiphos or Gladius.Theyre short and small but can hold their own in a fight.

However knives are becoming more effective today. And with bayonets you basically have a spear and a gun. get on it RWBY crew

Edited by Makusu 2

Swords are awesome!  If I had pics of my collection I'd add them.

My favorite is the replica of Hyourinmaru from Bleach.  It's probably the only one that wouldn't break if I took it into a real fight, lol.

• Brohoof 1

Swords are pretty badass. I tend to favor curved blades with a single edge that are fairly light. Something faster and more maneuverable. That's why I'm a fan of the katana and wakizashi, not because I'm one of *those* people who view them as godlike artifacts that can cleave through anything. The scimitar is pretty good too, although there are several different forms it can take. Personally, I'm a fan of the style that Drizzt carries:

MU500596lg.jpg

This is my Katana with a dragon detail on the handle.

That looks like Duncan MacLeod's katana from Highlander.

• Brohoof 1

Swords are certainly the 'coolest' weapon. But they are still weapons, and I hate weapons. I'll leave them to fictional characters like Link from the Legend of Zelda.

I own many a fine blade myself but

i love daggers also and such!   Something

about holding a blade feels better than

hold a gun to me!

• Brohoof 1

I've been in Renaissance Martial Arts for several years so I have many wooden practice swords or "Wasters" ranging from Longsword, Roundel and Main Gauche daggers, falchion, Messer, Dussac short Sword, and Cut and Thrust Side sword.

also I have a museum replica from Albion that I have used on a few occasions. I thought it was really fun when I cut a pig in half. Lol!

http://www.newstirlingarms.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=32

http://www.newstirlingarms.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=3

http://albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-irish-bastard-xix.htm

• Brohoof 1

Can I just like all the swords? Katanas, longswords, you name it- I love it.  :wub: One of my goals is to get a custom made master sword one day~

• Brohoof 2