swords  

74 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite swords

• Western swords
    • Spanish swords
    • Chinese swords
    • I hate swords!
    • Other

Swords are indeed cool, probably the most romanticized weapon in human history. I personally prefer the Claymore because I like big swords!

Yes collect well I don't have swords do daggers count I have 2 Dragon artwork daggers one has a female warrior riding on a red dragon breathing fire bough at an anime fest in Wichita,KS. for 15dollars the other one is a four bladed dagger the blades on both sides has a awesome design with shiny metallic art work as the blades become it's wings later!

• Brohoof 1

Yes collect well I don't have swords do daggers count I have 2 Dragon artwork daggers one has a female warrior riding on a red dragon breathing fire bough at an anime fest in Wichita,KS. for 15dollars the other one is a four bladed dagger the blades on both sides has a awesome design with shiny metallic art work as the blades become it's wings later!

That's neat to hear about your collection. If only I had one to talk about though :(

I used to have maybe four or five individual swords.  One of which was a broadsword named after King Arthur's Excalibur.  I also had a 3-piece daishō including a katana, wakizashi, and - I think - a tantō.  Ended up giving all of them away before I moved.  Always kinda wished I owned a basket-hilted sword or a stick katana, though.  Hell I may still get a stick katana someday. xD  And I like hand-and-a-half or "bastard" swords because they provide an opportunity to say bastard lol.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not really a sword fanatic either, but I must admit they are pretty cool. Something about the medieval knights and the samurais really seem to grip me. I don't know what it is. 

I can't say I have a preference of sword, but those big long lances that horsemen would have are pretty cool.

and of course, the Katana is renowned for it's strength, what being overlapped by molten steel close to one hundred times.

• Brohoof 2

Swords are awesome.  I mean, I'm against violence as a general rule, but there's no denying that swords are friggin awesome.  I have a small collection.  Blade's Sword of the Daywalker, the Sword of the Witchking, and a Samurai set, you know--the three sizes on the multi-tiered rack.

And then I also have this one.

2.jpg

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

"I don't know why people say a double-edged sword is bad. It's a sword. With two edges." —Kamahl, pit fighter.

+1 for quoting a Magic: the Gathering character.

I am most certainly a fan of swords!  I can't say that I know much about them, but I still think that they're really cool.  I have one decorative sword hanging on my wall: a one-handed sword that seems to have Chinese designs on it.  Then I also have this curved knife that looks like it's supposed to be used defensively.  Personally, I'm a big fan of the western style swords, but I'm not too picky.

Edited by Antismurf9001
  • Brohoof 1

Hell yeah swords are cool. Short swords, great swords, bastard swords, katanas, rapiers, scimitars, lightsabers, Excalibur, the Master Sword... real or fictional, if I see it I'll probably love it! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I'm more of a knife man myself, though swords do have appeal. Currently they're far beyond my budget, but I may get a wall-hanger. Knives are far more practical for everyday use and carry, and are tools, not just weapons (a big part of why I hate guns). 

I picked other because I like all swords. I've practiced using foil fencing (rooted in Spanish tradition), German Longsword, and a bokken. So I've had experience with all of those except Chinese swords, which I would like to do.

Truth be told, becoming a master swordsman of at least one type of weapon is a personal goal of mine. I know, shocking considering my profile pic.  :P

I'm more of a knife man myself, though swords do have appeal. Currently they're far beyond my budget, but I may get a wall-hanger. Knives are far more practical for everyday use and carry, and are tools, not just weapons (a big part of why I hate guns). 

Practicality doesn't enter my mind as much as mastery. Even if mastering the use of a sword isn't "practical" I still consider it a mark of character.

I would express the same with all weapons. If you choose a knife over a sword, just because the weapon appeals to you more, that makes sense. I'd even extend the same to someone who uses a gun, as long as they saw it as something they connected with and not just because "it's practical."

That's the lazy answer.

They're cool, and even more in the hands hooves of a pony:

img-2989770-1-4f7.png

In all seriousness, I like swords but don't forget they're weapons too...

Yes? They are weapons, what's your point? Hehe, point!  :lol:

Swords have been romanticized too much in my opinion. I know they look cool, but sometimes they overdo it. I I where to pick a sword, I prefer a short one, but I pick a combat knife over any sword if melee weapons only. Besides, you can still use a gun with a knife 

img-2989816-1-kabarshort.jpg

You can use a handgun in your off hand with a sword to. Cavalry Officers in the Civil War were actually trained to use sabers in their main hand and a revolver in their off hand.

Regardless of practicality, they are romanticized for a reason, they speak to something profound in the human condition. Mastering swordsmanship requires passionate, disciplined, and loving dedication to the art.

Swords are cool, but they also killed hundreds of thousands people. :huh:

So have rocks, knives, guns, bad food, and cars.

I'm still not getting your point. That swords are inherently evil?

My favorite is the broadsword xD

For me its a bit of a lazy weapon, being the large person I am I can handle it very easily yet I barely even need to put any effort into it to get a ridiculous amount of force out. Much amusement :P

The kinda broadsword im talking about is viking style broadswords, double edged, thick weapons of mass cleaving. Not particularly fancy but hey, its nice.

Plus even if they are used as weapons, they are swords, not guns, therefore they are mostly angled towards defense

Aside from yes, the epic saber battles.

Strength is no excuse for lack of training. A larger and stronger person doesn't need as much finesse as most, but if two equally large and strong opponents are squared off, the one who knows how to use his weapon better is going to win.

So have rocks, knives, guns, bad food, and cars.

I'm still not getting your point. That swords are inherently evil?

"Evil" is a strong word, but yeah, that's the idea.

If you don't understand, that means we don't agree on something, that's all. :wat:

Swords are cool sure,but as a battle field impliment their day has come and gone. I am not bashing anyone that wishes to study swordsmanship or anyone who enjoys owning swords but in the terms of practicality in combat the sword has almost certainly seen its hayday pass.

However bladed weapons do still have some battlefield use. You can attach bayonets to firearms, thus making them more effective than a sword, and allowing for far greater utility than a long sword.

Swords are most certainly cool as a collectors peice, but outside that they really don't have battlefield practicality.

If life was all about practicality, this show would not exist. Heck war probably would exist either.

Swordsmanship has application outside of the battlefield. In times past, they were also used as a civilian self defense weapon. Attaining mastery of the sword can be just as much a spiritual epoch as a physical achievement.

"Evil" is a strong word, but yeah, that's the idea.

If you don't understand, that means we don't agree on something, that's all. :wat:

You are right, we don't, doesn't mean we can't respectfully discuss it.

So an object that's been used to kill is evil. That's your thinking, right?

They are a lot cooler when someone is not trying to hit you with one.

Even if they are, I know how to twist it right out of the other guy's hands and then cut him down.

• Brohoof 1

If life was all about practicality, this show would not exist. Heck war probably would exist either.

Swordsmanship has application outside of the battlefield. In times past, they were also used as a civilian self defense weapon. Attaining mastery of the sword can be just as much a spiritual epoch as a physical achievement.

Actually, war would exist. It can be cheaper and more engery efficent to kill your enemy and take his food rather than hunt the giant mamoth yourself. Killing a person is rather easy compared to a giant beast in terms of pure physical energy expenses.

And again, in times past. Out side looking cool they do not have a place in self defense in the modern world were you are going to be attacked with firearms. And spirtiuality is 100% subjective and therefore not useful outside the persons own perspective.

And why is everyone suddenly quoting ages old posts of mine? Is it challenge M'iaq to a pseudo-intellectual dual day?

• Brohoof 1

You are right, we don't, doesn't mean we can't respectfully discuss it.

So an object that's been used to kill is evil. That's your thinking, right?

Not 100% evil, as I said, I find swords cool too. Otherwise I would find everything evil. :lol:

I'm sword collector myself, mostly of European swords, though I like Asian and African swords as well. They certainly take tons of work to master and sometimes to maintain, but it really makes you appreciate them, its no secret that even the simplest swords are like works of art, deadly works of art, but art none-the-less.

I can safely say I prefer swords over firearms, as I never saw the appeal to guns(sure using them takes practice, but nowhere near the amount of training and dedication a sword-user would have to go through.)

Edited by HopeTheWanderer
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, war would exist. It can be cheaper and more engery efficent to kill your enemy and take his food rather than hunt the giant mamoth yourself. Killing a person is rather easy compared to a giant beast in terms of pure physical energy expenses.

And again, in times past. Out side looking cool they do not have a place in self defense in the modern world were you are going to be attacked with firearms. And spirtiuality is 100% subjective and therefore not useful outside the persons own perspective.

And why is everyone suddenly quoting ages old posts of mine? Is it challenge M'iaq to a pseudo-intellectual dual day?

Not my point. I was trying to illustrate that swordsmanship is an art, just as much dance or music is.

The sword, for me, is an affirmation of belief. By mastering it, I put what I say and think into practice.

Not 100% evil, as I said, I find swords cool too. Otherwise I would find everything evil. :lol:

So then why remind us of a sword's nature as a weapon and especially highlight it with a scene that seems to be implying a mortal duel?

So then why remind us of a sword's nature as a weapon and especially highlight it with a scene that seems to be implying a mortal duel?

Because I didn't find a better pic with Derpy with a sword. :blush:

Swords are certainly the 'coolest' weapon. But they are still weapons, and I hate weapons. I'll leave them to fictional characters like Link from the Legend of Zelda.

I take it you are a pacifist?

Because I didn't find a better pic with Derpy with a sword. :blush:

I see.

Do you think because I own a sword and hone the skill to use the weapon that I mean to kill someone?