swords  

74 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite swords

• Western swords
    • Spanish swords
    • Chinese swords
    • I hate swords!
    • Other

Not my point. I was trying to illustrate that swordsmanship is an art, just as much dance or music is.

The sword, for me, is an affirmation of belief. By mastering it, I put what I say and think into practice.

It can be an art no doubt, but again my post was about the pure battlefield practicality of the sword. My other posts affirm that knives do still have a niche place amongst weapons of the modern warrior, but as a tool of the warrior on today's modern battlefield the sword's days have long passed.

that is not to say that one could not subjectivly view swordsmanship as an artform, such as you could view shooting as an artform (such as intense CQC, long range high accuracy shooting or even 3 gun compititions). Swordsmanship can be an artform, but the post you had originally quoted was about its battlefield practicality and its effectivness in modern warfare.

After playing OFF, I think baseball bats are a lot more original and interesting. :derp:

Well considering how swords can be somewhat cliched unless used or designed creatively, I can see why.

It can be an art no doubt, but again my post was about the pure battlefield practicality of the sword. My other posts affirm that knives do still have a niche place amongst weapons of the modern warrior, but as a tool of the warrior on today's modern battlefield the sword's days have long passed.

that is not to say that one could not subjectivly view swordsmanship as an artform, such as you could view shooting as an artform (such as intense CQC, long range high accuracy shooting or even 3 gun compititions). Swordsmanship can be an artform, but the post you had originally quoted was about its battlefield practicality and its effectivness in modern warfare.

Correct, but the implication was that because it's technologically obsolete, that it holds no value whatsoever. I was contesting that. As I said, life isn't only about what's practical.

guns > swords

but if had to choose, chinese swords are the best.

Better how exactly? There's all kinds of ways by which they can be better.

Well considering how swords can be somewhat cliched unless used or designed creatively, I can see why.

Correct, but the implication was that because it's technologically obsolete, that it holds no value whatsoever. I was contesting that. As I said, life isn't only about what's practical.

There was no implication given. In an earlier post of mine I said that it had value as both a martial arts tool, and a collectors peice. As someone who used to make their living in combat, my personal view was that the sword held no value to me due to its 100% technological obsoleteness on the modern battlefield. There was no implication given, and in my very first post in the thread I had already refuted the point you are trying to argue against me.

And that last line is entierly subjective, therefore it can be false depending on the individual :toldya:

I'm not really a sword fanatic either, but I must admit they are pretty cool. Something about the medieval knights and the samurais really seem to grip me. I don't know what it is. 

I can't say I have a preference of sword, but those big long lances that horsemen would have are pretty cool.

and of course, the Katana is renowned for it's strength, what being overlapped by molten steel close to one hundred times.

"Samurai" is singular and plural. Is it just the legendary swordplay of both classes that "grips" you or are their other things as well?

What makes the katana great was, as you implied, it's makeup. The harder the edge, the sharper the blade, the greater it's cutting power. However, that also makes the sword brittle. The more soft and pliable the metal, the more punishment it can take over time. However, that also reduces it's actual effectiveness.

Japanese smiths figured out a way to make the outside edge of the sword insanely hard and sharp while the inside curve (where you receive incoming blows) would be pliable.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

"Samurai" is singular and plural. Is it just the legendary swordplay of both classes that "grips" you or are their other things as well?

In terms of Knights and Samurai, I suppose something about the chivalry and honour definitely has a part to play in it all on top of the unique fighting styles and such.

• Brohoof 1

There was no implication given. In an earlier post of mine I said that it had value as both a martial arts tool, and a collectors peice. As someone who used to make their living in combat, my personal view was that the sword held no value to me due to its 100% technological obsoleteness on the modern battlefield. There was no implication given, and in my very first post in the thread I had already refuted the point you are trying to argue against me.

And that last line is entierly subjective, therefore it can be false depending on the individual :toldya:

I didn't mean to imply any hostility my friend.

As I recall, I was originally contesting against Frith, not yourself. So let us end this misunderstanding with me simply wishing my apologies to you. 

In terms of Knights and Samurai, I suppose something about the chivalry and honour definitely has a part to play in it all on top of the unique fighting styles and such.

It's actually quite ironic, but yes. The Code of Chivalry and Bushido, are both quite similar to each other. They expect similar precepts to their respective classes, religious piety, service to others, and honor in particular.

I actually take my username from an extract of Bushido.

Bunbu Itchi -  The pen and sword, in equal accord.

Samurai (and knights) were expected to be scholars and artists as well as warriors. Swords are made of steel so . . . "Steel Accord."  :)

• Brohoof 1

I love swords. How great it would be to be able to bring swords anywhere. Wish I had Percy Jackson's sword.

Though in honesty, I like swords that are unique, like the way Vayne in Mana Khemia used his sword.

Edited by Indonesia Best Pony
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't mean to imply any hostility my friend.

As I recall, I was originally contesting against Frith, not yourself. So let us end this misunderstanding with me simply wishing my apologies to you. 

Sounds reasonable to me friend. I applogize if I had offended you earlier.

I love swords. How great it would be to be able to bring swords anywhere.

Oh wait. Percy Jackson can

I would love that pen that turns into a full longsword.

Or a pen that turns into any full sized weapon really, it would be amazing to have in a semi-hostile environment like a ghetto or poor neighbourhood.

• Brohoof 1

OMG Yes! Dude I freaking love swords! Especially the Katana. It's just so beautiful and graceful. And the way it kills is beautiful too.

One can do many things beautifully, one can even fight beautifully to a certain extent, but killing can never be a beautiful act. Even when it's necessary, it's never beautiful.

Sounds reasonable to me friend. I applogize if I had offended you earlier.

I would love that pen that turns into a full longsword.

Or a pen that turns into any full sized weapon really, it would be amazing to have in a semi-hostile environment like a ghetto or poor neighbourhood.

Oh you didn't, I was afraid I had offended you.

(Awesome book series, just by the by.)

For those who say swords and the like are evil. I'd rather face an opponent who needs a weapon to kill me rather than his bare hands. >_<

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter

I see.

Do you think because I own a sword and hone the skill to use the weapon that I mean to kill someone?

No, of course not. Swords aren't only weapons, and of course people who do fencing or are collecting swords don't want to be killers.
  • Brohoof 1

For those who say swords and the like are evil. I'd rather face an opponent who needs a weapon to kill me rather than his bare hands. >_<

I'd rather not face the opponent who means to kill me in the first place.  :P That said being said, the opposite. I'd rather fight an unarmed guy than an armed one any day.

No, of course not. Swords aren't only weapons, and of course people who do fencing or are collecting swords don't want to be killers.

Ugh "fencing" I hate sport fencing, even if I was the best in my class it was a pain!  >_>

Anyway, so what you are getting at is, though you recognize the fascination of them in others (academic, spiritual, or what have you) you personally cannot get past their functional purpose?

I'd rather not face the opponent who means to kill me in the first place.  :P That said being said, the opposite. I'd rather fight an unarmed guy than an armed one any day.

True, but someone who can kill with his bare hands is more unpredictable than an opponent with a weapon in his hands.

• Brohoof 1

True, but someone who can kill with his bare hands is more unpredictable than an opponent with a weapon in his hands.

Somewhat debatable. Thugs who just swing their fists and mean to pound you into the dirt certainly are wild and uncoordinated, but far from unpredictable and really any difficulty to counter. You're right though about the weapon. "Punk with knife" is going to try and shank you before applying any sort of tactics like grabs or kicks.

If you are referring to someone meaning to kill you more skilled in the arts, I don't think they would mean to kill you in the first place.

Ugh "fencing" I hate sport fencing, even if I was the best in my class it was a pain! >_>

Anyway, so what you are getting at is, though you recognize the fascination of them in others (academic, spiritual, or what have you) you personally cannot get past their functional purpose?

Yes. Well, nowadays they're almost not used as weapons anymore (it would be guns, bombs etc.), but they were in the past.

They're cool, but they can be dangerous too, and I don't forget that.

I can get past their original purpose (killing people) because almost nobody is going to do that now, but I don't forget one could kill someone else with a sword.

Edited by Blobulle

If you are referring to someone meaning to kill you more skilled in the arts, I don't think they would mean to kill you in the first place.

kinda that, i'm talking a trained soldier types, not thugs throwing wild haymaker punches :)

Yes. Well, nowadays they're almost not used as weapons anymore (it would be guns, bombs etc.), but they were in the past.

They're cool, but they can be dangerous too, and I don't forget that.

They still are weapons, as you wisely pointed out. A true sword can still hurt and kill if handled incorrectly, or if used with the intention to do so.

Like anything else though, the weapon is not good nor evil, it's in how the person holding it uses it. In ages past and still today, the sword was used for heroic actions just as much as it was shameful ones. I choose to use my weapon responsibly, to master it so that I may not hurt others, and to solidify my ideals into action.

kinda that, i'm talking a trained soldier types, not thugs throwing wild haymaker punches :)

I would hope a "trained soldier type" would be above petty back alley murder, but there's me being idealistic again.

• Brohoof 2

Well, congratz. I don't, alas, but frankly I'm the kind of guy to take a gun to a swordfight.

I'm the kind of guy to not show up to a gunfight and catch the gunman away from his weapon.

If pressed, I could probably draw and cut my foe down faster than an untrained shooter could draw and accurately use his own weapon. The man makes the weapon.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I'm the kind of guy to not show up to a gunfight and catch the gunman away from his weapon.

If pressed, I could probably draw and cut my foe down faster than an untrained shooter could draw and accurately use his own weapon. The man makes the weapon.

Most accurately of course, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't get into fights. It's the safer way.

If I ever need a bodyguard, the job is yours.

• Brohoof 1

Most accurately of course, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't get into fights. It's the safer way.

If I ever need a bodyguard, the job is yours.

Hehe, that's funny because that's my ponysona's daytime job actually.  :P

• Brohoof 1

Katanas are so overrated.

I'd prefer a European Bastard Sword, they're much more reliable than a katana.

Katana are pretty reliable dude. I mean both require a great amount of training to use effectively. It's like I always say though, the man makes the weapon.

A bastard sword is going to be more effective in your hand than a katana is in some guy who just picked it up because the weapon you are holding speaks to you.

Katana are pretty reliable dude. I mean both require a great amount of training to use effectively. It's like I always say though, the man makes the weapon.

A bastard sword is going to be more effective in your hand than a katana is in some guy who just picked it up because the weapon you are holding speaks to you.

in terms of durability. boop.