Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Board Game Discussion Thread

Stancet

Hello MLP Forums and welcome to the Board Game Discussion Thread. This is where we talk all things related to board games and card games. And before you write the whole subject off as boring or uninteresting, it might surprise you to know of the explosive creativity in board games these last few years that has been alive just beyond your sight.

If you're curious, try looking up:

Agricola

Factory Fun

Forbidden Island

Incan Gold

Life Boat

Pandemic

Puerto Rico

Zombiecide

(By the way, here, we hate Settler of Catan :)

• Brohoof 1

I remember when I used to play board games all the time

You should continue playing them. There are some really good ones coming out every year that most people don't even know about.

I used to play board games often, but they were games like Monopoly and stuff. I guess that makes me "uncool" in the board game world. :P

I'll check out those other ones though!

Tell me your favorite movie, book and video game and I'm reasonably sure I can find you a board game you'll find just as engaging.

Tell me your favorite movie, book and video game and I'm reasonably sure I can find you a board game you'll find just as engaging.

Movie: The Harry Potter movies, especially the fourth one and the last one

Book: The Book Thief

Video Game: Super Mario Galaxy

Well, I really haven't done any sort of board gaming in years; honestly. When I was younger I LOVED playing Back Off Buzzard, Tornado Rex, Mouse Trap, Grape Escape, etc., Not to mention the ever famous Candy Land. :)

I also loved NASCAR Monopoly.

However, the number one will always be chess. I LOVE chess, but I am SO BAD at it. XD

Movie: The Harry Potter movies, especially the fourth one and the last one

Book: The Book Thief

Video Game: Super Mario Galaxy

Okay, this is a tough choice. I think the best board-game equivalent to Harry Potter and Super Mario Galaxy is probably Mice & Mystics. It's a cute fantasy themed dungeon crawler with mice for heroes that utilizes simple mechanics and a clever story-driven narrative. I don't think there is a board-game equivalent to The Book Thief. 

• Brohoof 1

There was this French boardgame where each person picks a character at random. One (or more, depending on the number of people) is the werewolf and each night, he can kill another player. And the aim of the game for the werewolves is to kill all players and  the aim for the other players is to find out who the werewolf.

There are several roles included, each with different abilities such as the Sorceress, the Charmer, the Hunter, etc. Each one has a unique ability which can help or hinder him...

I don't play this game because I have no-one to play with and I am pretty sure it has been translated to different countries. 

• Brohoof 1

No one mentioned Magic the Gathering? I love that TGC. I usually just play it against a friend of mine, but I want more opponents. I use 2 different decks, One is a black and white vampire/human deck (I need to rebalance that one) and the other is a blue and red deck, mainly focussed on drawing lot's of cards and burning the enemies deck, with some decent creature support. I love how advanced that game has become (Can't wait till I get a bit more money so that I can buy more booster packs).

Also, yesterday, I ordered a Star Realms deck. It is a new deck builder game that is easy to get into. The cool thing about deck builders is that you only need to buy one set and then you can play. There are no booster packs and everything (Even though some deck builders have expansions).

Lastly, I have become quite interested in the Warhammer 40K table-top game. I won't play it (yet) because all of the pieces are simply WAY to expansive, but I've been a Warhammer 40K fan ever since the Dawn of War video games. If I get the oppertunity I will certainly start to collect the pieces, starting with my beloved Eldar.

In the past I've played quite a bit of Yu-gi-oh!, but even since I started playing Magic... yeah, ironicly enough, Yu-gi-oh! doesn't have the magic xD

If P&P counts as a board game, then I would really, really, REALLY love to play Shadowrun... I just lack the friends who are interested in it :( I only have a couple of friends who like D&D, which is fine, but I'm more of a cyberpunk fellow. I simply adore the Shadowrun lore and classes. If anyone can give me some advice about how to meet shadowrunners that live close-by, feel free to share it... not that it will be easy, because I live in the most "Red Neck" part of my country xD (No offence to any "Red Necks out there".

I guess that's about it... I really love engaging board/table-top/P&P games, even though I haven't playd many. I'm curious to how this topic will develop.

• Brohoof 2

Zombiecide

zombicide is pretty epic! <3

i enjoy chess, and Abalone, and i actually liked the harry potter game that was basically a version of clue.  the Beau introduced me to Magblast, Pass the Brain, Zombies! and Kill Dr. Lucky with his family. :)

if card games count: Apples to apples, cards against humanity, rummy, go-fish, and Blitz (31)

and tabletop games: Dungeon Crawl Classics, D&D, Magic World, Call of Cthulhu, Pathfinder, Dark Heresy, and Dystopian Wars.  Beau is also big into Dust

Edited by SweetJeans88
  • Brohoof 1

Okay, this is a tough choice. I think the best board-game equivalent to Harry Potter and Super Mario Galaxy is probably Mice & Mystics. It's a cute fantasy themed dungeon crawler with mice for heroes that utilizes simple mechanics and a clever story-driven narrative. I don't think there is a board-game equivalent to The Book Thief.

I just thought I'd thank you for the suggestion. ;) I looked it up and it seems really cool, so thanks! :)

• Brohoof 1

I really want to get info boardgames. I just feel like I haven't played any grown-up ones. I mostly remember them from when I was a kid, like most people here mention. I'm thinking of trying to join a Boardgame club near where I'm moving to get more into it. But does anyone have any suggestions about how to get into Magic or tabletop RPGs? I want to try both but they seem intimidating... someone tried to teach me Magic once and I was like Wut?

• Brohoof 1

I really want to get info boardgames. I just feel like I haven't played any grown-up ones. I mostly remember them from when I was a kid, like most people here mention. I'm thinking of trying to join a Boardgame club near where I'm moving to get more into it. But does anyone have any suggestions about how to get into Magic or tabletop RPGs? I want to try both but they seem intimidating... someone tried to teach me Magic once and I was like Wut?

Magic is a complicated game at first glance, but once you understand the rules it becomes quite straightforward. But the best way to understand, really, is just to find the right teacher. Most Magic fans aren't because they are enthusiastic and don't realize they are talking too fast. Same with RPGs (but I don't like RPG board games).

• Brohoof 1

I can give you a few tips on how to start with Magic. First, you might want to try out one of the free Magic games on the computer. It will not be that satisfying, but you can't cheat on the computer, so it is pretty easy to learn that way. I have learned the rules through Etherlords (not free) which is a Magic the gathering clone. The rules are largely the same, though.

You could also buy a starter pack. It contains 2 decks where the cards are put in a specific order, you get a manual with a step-by-step tutorial so you can learn the rules quite easily. Once you start to play, I recommend you look up a list of terms on your phone or tablet, so that you can look up the terms that aren't explained on the card itself (Stuff like death touch, trample and vigilant).

Don't be afraid to cheat on accident. It can happen. Just be sure that both people adhere to the same rules. What I usually do when I doubt about a rule is that I choose the most positive thing. This also counts for my opponent, of course.

Finally, as Stancet said, the best thing to do is to find a good teacher, but if you can't, the above tips should be enough to get you into it. 

• Brohoof 1

I finally got the game Twilight Imperium! 

For those of you who don't know, it's basically the Star Wars of board games (in terms of theme, epicness and audience response). When I've learned the rules I hope the game will be just as amazing as they say.

I finally got the game Twilight Imperium!    For those of you who don't know, it's basically the Star Wars of board games (in terms of theme, epicness and audience response). When I've learned the rules I hope the game will be just as amazing as they say.

That sounds cool. I will look it up some time :o It would be awesome if you could keep us up to date to how your experiences are with it :)

Edited by Ardhacandra
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, I love board-games! My friends and I have a board-game meetup almost every Saturday, and we tend to play games with horror/Lovecraftian themes. Our favorites are Arkham/Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Elder Sign, and A Touch of Evil. We branch out often too; another of our favorite games is "Tales of the Arabian Nights" which comes with a "story book" with tons and tons of stories and encounters. We also play a lot of dice games like Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Chupacabra, and Dungeon Roll.

I recently got a new game in the mail, "Mice and Mystics" which I picked because it reminded me of the Redwall books I read in middle/high school. Looking forward to playing it this Saturday!

Edit: Oh, and Cards Against Humanity! Can't go wrong with that.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

Best board game of all time is Risk. Haven't played it in years, but was a classic past time with my friends when we were young. I always went Asia, felt sorry for anyone that had to go Australia.

I haven't played a board game in years though, but I've always wanted to try some of these cooler looking ones. My friends aren't the types that would ever consider doing that though!  :lol:

Not quite a board game, but I've always wanted to try dungeons and dragons. TV and movies make it look so cool and awesomely fun.

Oh, does anyone know Munchkin?

It's a game that could turn your friends into enemies by necessity

If you had any

We played Munchkin once on our Saturday board-game meetup and then never again. We just got too mad and by the end nobody was actually having fun, haha...