The antibullying thread

Null_account

Whoops 

Heh I read that last part wrong when it said "Victims should get help"

Didnt see that 

I should just delete that post now

Oh okay, I wondered why my post was so offensive. xD

@,

Of course, it's important to try to prevent it, but most of the time everyone do it the wrong way. They either only work with the victims or brutally bash the bullies. It's important to realize that the bullies are often the ones who needs help the most. They often have problems at homes, and stuff.

And for me, the only scars left are on my skin, so I found more positive stuff in this experience.

• Brohoof 1

Like it or not, bullying exist, and it certainly cannot be stopped. To stop bullying, it is something we cannot achieve, like freedom. We can try to get close tho.

That doesn't mean we can't condemn it.  The world is filled with all sorts of horrible behavior that cannot be eliminated entirely, but that won't stop me from calling the likes of murder and rape evil.  And if I cannot call bullying outright evil I can at least consider it downright wrong.

I've received my load of rocks in the face, I almost lost an eye, I was pushed, punched, bullied because of my accent and my slight parry-romberg syndrome. I've been bullied by my 5th grade teacher because my familiy couldn't afford glasses. (etc) Yet I went through this, I'm alive, and it's my last year of school, I'm happy.

Wait, somebody nearly took your eye out because you had a funny accent!?  Exactly how is this even remotely acceptable?

I was shy, I would rather read on the side of the school instead of playing with people. Bullying got me friends, increased my social skills, and boosted my self-esteem when I first stood to myself, I'm always ready to help, but I'm not naïve anymore. If all of this never happened, I would have gained nothing. I'd still be reading alone, and I probably wouldn't even be able to get a job.

This seems like a rather unlikely outcome.  I am with Emerald Starlight on this, as far as I am concerned this bullying is more likely to cause harm than good, not to mention the intent is to cause harm.  I had the misfortune of having to deal with this crap pretty much non-stop from 2nd grade literally up to the moment a graduated high school, and it is a horrible fate I would not wish on anybody.  It certainly had an effect on me, but I definitely would not consider it positive.  Unless of course you consider becoming severely withdrawn, not wanting to participate in any kind of school social activity, becoming highly suspicious of your peers and all their actions, assuming your peers are innately predisposed towards evil and at times secretly wishing you had justification for severely hurting your tormentors positive changes.  Bullying is a horrible act that does horrible things, bullies don't get a pass because they accidentally improved the life of somebody they were trying to hurt.

Bullies should get help to solve their problems, and victims should get help to learn to stand for themselves.

The bullies are the problem, they don't need help, they need be shown their actions are not acceptable.  As for this victims, they often lack the ability to fight back.  Bullies do not pick fair fights.  They almost always torment their victims when they either have superior numbers (more likely), superior size and strength, or even better yet, both.  Get in a fight under those conditions and you are going to lose, and probably badly.  And don't expect the school system to protect you, the zero-tolerance fighting policies public schools use to abdicate any and all use of judgement are just as likely to crush you as it is the bullies.  And as an added bonus, the strength in numbers used by bullies in the fight carry over to school disciplinary procedure.  It is absolutely amazing how far their side of the story goes with the idiotic arguments of "well its two against one" or "its three against one" as if people are some how unlikely or unable to collectively lie.

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 2

zero-tolerance fighting policies public schools use to abdicate any and all use of judgement are just as likely to crush you as it is the bullies. 

I Am so glad you brought up zero tolerance

Heres how it goes

A Kid is bullied, the kid tries to fight back, is caught by a teacher and is punished for SELF DEFENSE

While this has never happened to me I know it has happened to others

In short THE SCHOOL ends up getting the kid in trouble FOR SELF DEFENSE

And i have never heard of Zero Tolerance help with bullying

• Brohoof 1

By the way, this other video was the best response I saw out of a fellow Brony of the incident.

The narrator of this video is a hero.  Love this guy.  I agree 100% with everything he said.  In fact, I myself did a lengthy post awhile back on another forum about the unfair double standards between men and women, and how it seems much more socially acceptable for women to do/like/wear masculine things than vice versa, which this guy touched on.  I posed a hypothesis as to why this double standard exists.  Anyway, getting off topic here.

I was regularly bullied throughout elementary school and jr. high.  I'm a guy, and I liked to wear my hair long.  Looking back, it did look kinda stupid, but that's irrelevant.  Just beause I had long hair, I was tormented by older students to no end.  Luckily, it never went very far or got dangerous.  I cut my hair between 7th and 8th grade.  The bullying stopped, and I procceeded to make myself as inconspicuous as possible.  I only wore clothes with plain, solid, earth-toned colors.  Browns, grays, blacks.  No patterns, no words, no pictures, absolutely nothing that anyone could say anything about.  It was urban camoflauge.  It worked, too.  I was left alone throughout high school, for which I was thankful.  I make it sound like I was miserable, though.  That's not really true.  I had friends, and I was able to be myself outside of school.  But at school, I was just on a mission to blend in and survive.  It could have been worse for me.  A lot worse.

Now I'm 28, and I wear MLP shirts all around.  I wear skirt and dress-like things that challenge gender roles.  I'm proud of who I am.  So far, no one has said anything negative to me about what I wear.  Luckily, people in the real, working world have better things to do.  If I could go back and relive school, I wouldn't do it any differently, though.  School is such a hostile environment.  I'm not strong enough to invite that kind of calumny.  But I'm thankful that I am able to express myself now.

I feel so sad when I hear stores like this poor brony who attempted suicide.  Bullies make me so angry.  I hope it's possible to have a future without this kind of crap.  I know it's not really possible, but it's an ideal we should strive towards nonetheless.

• Brohoof 1