Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Dark do you want FiM to be?

TheMisterManGuy

There's been some debate over wheater or not FiM should take a darker turn. While I understand its a kids show, I don't see it as an excuse not to be darker. So how dark do you want FiM to be? I think for the Adventure side, it should follow Klonoa's example.

For those who don't know, Klonoa is a platforming series from Namco that has you play as Klonoa the Dream Traveler in a 2.5D plane. The first game starts out as a light-hearted, silly adventure, but as it progresses, it becomes darker, more serious, more challenging, and more-higher stakes, and has a pretty tear-jearking ending to boot. That's basically how I want FiM to be, a Light-hearted series that isn't afraid to throw a curveball and tug at your heart strings (BTW, If you haven't, go play Klonoa 1&2, they're fantastic games).

For Slice of Life, I would like it to take cues from Hey Arnold!, a show that deals with attempted suicide, dysfunctional families, and loss of a family member with maturity for kids. You can still have jokes, gags, and silliness for relief, and it certainly doesn't excuse you from making silly, cartoony episodes every now and then, but Hasbro has to learn teaching kids these things occasionaly isn't going to sacrifice toy sales.

So how dark would you want Friendship is Magic to get?

• Brohoof 5

Well, it's a fine line, and going a little darker can backfire seriously on a show. I'd like to see FiM maybe try some mature topics that can be good lessons for kids, but I don't want the show to lose that spark that really makes it a charming show.

Spyro kinda did that with the Legend of Spyro series. It was a darker fantasy with higher-stakes in mind; a complete contrast to the light-hearted feel of the original games. That's not a bad thing as the Legend were pretty good, but some of the charm didn't stay. That's not to say there was no charm, but there's a reason why many prefer the original games.

Similarly, if FiM is to go somewhat more mature, they have to be careful. Besides, the comics have tried to go the darker route with some success, so I wouldn't be too shocked if the show continued with its thing.

• Brohoof 3

I love the current level of maturity MLP offers. It's appropriate, and not overly dark while still leaving interpretation of motivations that can become extremely twisted when placed in the hands of the fans. I don't want the show to get much darker than it already is, as I enjoy the silliness and upbeat nature of the show.

• Brohoof 5

I don't want it to get too dark. I feel like I have enough shows with darkness in them and I look to MLP for some serious but ultimately bright stories and actions. I wouldn't want to see suicide etc in this show. Honestly Chrysalis and Tirek were pretty damn dark, especially Chrysalis. I think that's about the level of my tolerance for dark in the show... that was creepy as hell! I also feel like Discord is extremely creepy too. I dunno I guess I just feel we DO have some dark already, just more light, and the current mix is what I feel comfortable with.

Interestingly I remember when Klonoa was coming out. I had a magazine with a review on it and I wanted that game so bad. Never played it but thanks for reminding me about it...! Was that a PS1 or 2 game...I forget.

• Brohoof 3

I want to find out Applejack's parents were murdered by a cult. I actually like the show about where it is. In fact, I prefer the slice-of-life stories between the season premieres and finales more than those episodes. I think Hey, Arnold was probably made with a slightly higher age group in mind, but I would like to see MLP tackle a few more deeper issues like the loss of parents or disabilities, both of which they could do at the drop of a hat with the way certain characters are set up and could be especially meaningful to those who either are struggling with it or know someone who is.
  • Brohoof 1

I' d like higher stakes...
Some of the best episodes to me were the ones with high stakes. Stare Master, Secret of My Excess, Twilight's Kingdom... the drama makes you feel much closer to the character, and also tends to express how much they care about those around them. It makes them feel human, to me.

• Brohoof 1

Don't do it Michael Bay 

But seriously, maybe like an off screen death like what they do in avatar the last air bender, heavily implied death at the most, and as for the suicide thing, let's not go that far, let's just go, pinkie pie meets a very depressed pony that wants to "go away forever"

• Brohoof 2

I really don't want it to get darker. There seems to be a misconception that making something darker makes it better (upping the stakes, maturity, emotions etc). However, I fail to see how making this show (which gets a lot of its charm and appeal from being cute, funny, and loving etc) darker would be a good thing. In fact, making it darker goes against FIM's foundation. I think that's why episodes like The Crystal Empire get such a mixed reaction. Don't get me wrong, it's fine to have darker episodes from time to time. But making the entire show dark goes against what makes it appealing in the first place.

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 5

Well in my personal opinon or what would sell better?

Personally I would make it along the lines of Adventure time darkness. The foreground is never that dark outside a couple episodes, but the implications of what is occuring can be very, very dark (see mushroom war). That way the show keeps to a level that is suitable for children (as emotional implications are beyond all most all modern children) but allows more alot more adult emotional investment due to the un-said darkness of an event.

• Brohoof 1

Since finding MLP I've realized, concerning the dark type of stuff, why I love it more than other things with dark themes.

MLP is a slice of life story that takes place in a world that can be incredibly dangerous. It can be pretty dark out there, yet all the characters are still as bright as usual. That is the appeal of the darkness in MLP: It show us that things can be pretty terrible at times but that doesn't mean we need to succumb to it.

I think the show going a bit darker would help highlight that contrast even more, but it has the chance of making the characters stupidly optimistic instead of just being strong in the face of adversity and loss. I like where they are but I would not mind seeing some darker things develop, or even things with dark implications (Eternal night is pretty much death for the majority of the world usually).

I personally think it's fine the way it is. It took a darker turn during the Season 4 finale, and I think that's as far as it should go. I like it as a light-hearted show with adventure and a little bit of dark stuff, but nothing more. The whole reason I enjoyed the show in the first place was because it had a certain quality that made me feel ridiculously happy, and I feel that if it were made darker, it might lose that quality.

• Brohoof 2

I would LOVE if MLP: FiM took a dark, bloody, and violent turn.

Make it more like 'Full Metal Alchemist'!

Grimdark. By the time we hit the final season, I need at least one major character to be dead.

No, I'm kidding. I can get my grimdark fix from fanfics. As for the show, I'd like it to maybe be just a tinge darker. No crazy, over the top mature themes, necessarily, but I wouldn't mind seeing more villains and situations that present an actual danger to the cast. In fact I'd like it if the show started taking a more adventurous slant, with a greater focus on story arcs over "problem of the day" episodes. But I will admit that the slice-of-life approach has its charm.

Edited by MasterCombine
  • Brohoof 2

Not dark at all! I mean some elements of darkness here and there in the Everfree forest is alright, and of course we have tartarus and the mythical beasts, changelings and etc.

Maybe it'd be alright for some major plot of a season finale or something, bur otherwise I prefer it cheery!  :squee:

• Brohoof 2

Well, it shouldn't go too dark, because, yes, it is a kids show, but remember, its a kids show specifically targeted at incredibly young audiences. Some cartoons can get away with dark subject material, but for something like My little Pony? It's audience may A: be too young to be exposed to darker subject material and B: too young to even understand it fully. 

Now of course, we all know that there are many many many different audiences that watch MLP, but the show's staff have to adhere to the needs of the their intended and youngest audience. They can't risk parents sending in complaints because of the show's content, because it could risk the show's cancellation. I don't think they'd risk that.

That being said, this only applies for going 'too dark' (which in itself is a subjective quantity). As it is now, I think it could get away with some very slight darker turns here and there, but not much more. I guess for me personally, seeing Spike crying in a mirror because he thought Twilight was abandoning him, that was pretty dark for me in the context of the show's universe. So basically, take that as an example of a level of darkness, and say only 1 or 2 levels above that is how far I think the show could go without going 'too far'.

But ultimately, we have to ask whether it would be worth the risk going darker in the first place? Is the demand for it so high? What do the staff have to lose by not going darker and staying the way they are? Honestly, if the show stays the way it is without going in the slightest bit darker, I think I can live with it.

Edited by Spinelspike

I think it's perfectly fine the way it is.

If they make the show any darker then it already is, I feel like it won't be the show we all love.

I'd be up for more fight scenes like the one in Twilight's Kingdom. But not enough to make it feel like another Dragon Ball Z

• Brohoof 2

I'd like more moments like this one:

And longer season premieres and/or finales (3 episodes instead of 2 for example), they're usually the darkest episodes.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

It's already been Dark at parts.  ;D   The more the better!

It just makes the light parts more appreciable.

Edited by John
  • Brohoof 1

I confess, Sombra startled me a bit in the one mirror scene in Canterlot for a short time. :blink: Tirek was dark enough. The changelings already crossed the line.

Seriously, how can ponies still keep their doors unlocked in Ponyville, when creatures like these are running around?

Edited by Gary S.

I don't think the show should go any "darker". It's at the right balance just now, I feel. What I would say, is maybe we can get an extra villain episode or two, instead of them being mainly confined to season openers/finales. An extra episode or two with a reasonably threatening villain throughout the season would add an extra spice to it, and maybe throw in a 2 parter mid-season and again, not just opening and finale for a 2 parter.

I'd like the show to explore the deaths of Applejack's parents, which has the potential to be pretty sad depending on how they handle it. Beyond that, I think the tone if the show has been perfect. I get my higher stakes adventure fix from the season premieres and finales (and a few if the regular episodes), and more lighthearted stuff from the rest if the episodes. I think it strikes a good balance.

• Brohoof 2

Well, it shouldn't go too dark, because, yes, it is a kids show, but remember, its a kids show specifically targeted at incredibly young audiences. Some cartoons can get away with dark subject material, but for something like My little Pony? It's audience may A: be too young to be exposed to darker subject material and B: too young to even understand it fully. 

The way you say that makes it seem like you think FiM is a preschool show, but it isn't. Its aimed at kids 2-11, same target age as SpongeBob, Hey Arnold!, etc.

I'd like the show to explore the deaths of Applejack's parents, which has the potential to be pretty sad depending on how they handle it. Beyond that, I think the tone if the show has been perfect. I get my higher stakes adventure fix from the season premieres and finales (and a few if the regular episodes), and more lighthearted stuff from the rest if the episodes. I think it strikes a good balance.

Seconded.

I like the tone of the show as it is, but I feel like the show can cover more serious subjects as it progresses. Making it darker doesn't necessarily make it better. The show has a great tone that I think can cover serious subjects without coming off forced.

• Brohoof 3