Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Dark do you want FiM to be?

TheMisterManGuy

None, it's fine the way it is

The show doesn't need dark, and many people(myself included) are afraid that it might take away from the fun, happy, lighthearted nature of the show

• Brohoof 3

I don't want it to turn dark, not at all.

Though, it would be nice to have a couple more mature themes and morals now and again.

It would change the pace and help the writers get a little bit more creative. Also these more mature themes can explore the characters in a lot more detail.

But they can't be too mature, otherwise it would ruin the show not just for me, but most of the fandom.

I would like to see the darker side of Equestrian politics and maybe some tense forign relations like that was hinted at in the season four fanale. I would like to see Grogar and the changelings coming Into season five and I would like to see heavier issues being dealt with.

I would add that I would want none of these to drain the happiness and humor of the series but be fun in the face of adversity like BUFFY the vampire slayer was.

The show has impressed me so far by greatly surpassing my expectations for what can and can't be done in a girl's show. I want it to continue to explore the far reaches of what's possible. However, there are still lines I never want it to cross. Every arc has to end at least reasonably well for the Mane Six. None of them should ever be killed off. If something bad happens, it should still work out in the end. In the case of the Golden Oak Library, the arc ended with Twilight getting a nice new castle. On screen deaths of adversaries are one thing, but I don't want to see the show get bloody or violent. I don't want the show to get sexually explicit or too suggestive, aside from minor allusions. I don't have a lot of parameters, but I think as long as the ones I've outlined are respected, the sky's the limit for this series.

• Brohoof 2

I can support darker lessons to be learned concerning friendship, which is as far as I might want to go. What do I mean when I say dark lessons? Well, a lot of lessons have been quite positive, one of my favorites being the one in "Bridal Gossip". But there are also lessons about the nature of friends that could be learned and they might be gained from negative experience. One I have thought of would be like an inverted "A Friend in Deed" (Cranky Doodle Donkey), where a pony (any pony) has to learn when a friendship that is strained by unhappiness should come to a peaceful end. It would be darker as it would involve thoughts of doubt, lamentation, and perhaps a positive and understanding ending but not a bouncy happy one.

It's not so much what we want but what they can deliver. Obviously, there are certain limits to which the writers and producers must adhere to. If you ask my opinion, they can throw in some bits here and there, would give the fandom something to work with :)

"Dark" is such a strong (and overused) word. Being more "dramatic" or "serious" is the thing.

That said, it's fine the way it is. Remember: this is a show for little girls. Oh sure, it's not sugary sweet and is accessible to a wider audience, but at the end of the day it's a show for girls, based on girls' toys. You can only take that so far.

And I DON'T want things to get to dramatic and downbeat. With its fanciful characters and vibrant colors, making things all serious would be just weird. I say use high stakes drama for special occasions and let things be fairly chillaxed the rest of the time   B)    We've got fan labor and the IDW Comics for more drama than usual.

I would add that I would want none of these to drain the happiness and humor of the series but be fun in the face of adversity like BUFFY the vampire slayer was.

Funny you should say that, because BTVS lost a lot of its charm--and a few fans--in the later seasons when things became extra serious and downbeat.
...and I really don't want to go through that again with FiM... <.<

Edited by Jangobadass
  • Brohoof 1

Funny you should say that, because BTVS lost a lot of its charm--and fans--in the later season when things became extra serious and downbeat.

...and I really don't want to go through that again with FiM... <.<

You do not have to remind me I like to pretend the last few seasons never happened. However the first three and a nice portion of the fourth season were right on the money with its balance of dark and happy. All the quarky charm was just sucked dry like a pedestrian in an alleyway after it got too dark.

I like when dark themes are introduced into the show on occasion, but only in the context of overcoming it. This is really done in every episode in very mild ways, but I'm primarily referring to the season openings and finales. Most of those certainly got quite dark, but I never felt that was the focus. I felt the focus was how the mane six and other characters would work together in friendship to overcome the darkness.

That being said, I wouldn't want every episode to be like that. I like having a variety of episodes: some adventure episodes, some serious/somewhat dark episodes, and some light-hearted/slice of life episodes. 

Even in the season openings and finales, I don't want anything to get too dark, regardless of the context. It is still a show intended to be appropriate for all ages, including children, and I don't want it to include anything that would frighten or upset them. Additionally, I encounter very dark things in real life and in other media on a regular basis. One of the many reasons why I love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is that it is absent of such things, and I want it to remain that way.

• Brohoof 4

I like when dark themes are introduced into the show on occasion, but only in the context of overcoming it. This is really done in every episode in very mild ways, but I'm primarily referring to the season openings and finales. Most of those certainly got quite dark, but I never felt that was the focus. I felt the focus was how the mane six and other characters would work together in friendship to overcome the darkness.

B - I - N - G - O

The show has those epic 'hopeless moments' and uses them to great effect. The Return of Harmony had that moment when the Twilight finally succumbs, followed by that uplifting scene with all the letters to Celestia are read. Light following darkness. Magical Mystery Cure ... same thing. Twilight's Kingdom ... had this in spades. With one possible exception for a future ep, that tone is the 'dark' sweet spot for FiM. I don't want it to get any more grim than that.

Exception is AJ's parents. I don't want to know exactly what happened, just want one line each from the Apple kids about how they miss 'em ... or that they would be proud. Even so, that may be considered darker than the falling action moments we have seen before.

• Brohoof 2

Speaking of dark, just how dark would the show be if this were in an actual episode?

Queen Chrysalis learns of a new, mysterious threat coming.  She goes to see a mysterious arms dealer for an artifact that could counter this threat.  The mysterious arms dealer demands she becomes the second-in-command of the Changelings.  Queen Chrysalis, out of caution and taking into account the mysterious nature of the threat, negotiates.

The two come to a new agreement: the arms dealer becomes second-in-command, but will be supervised to ensure she does not cause harm for the Changelings.  Queen Chrysalis also would use the artifact as a back-up defense and would have it examined in the meanwhile.  The arms dealer gets a new position as second-in-command.

Soon after Queen Chrysalis flies off the artifact, it detonates and kills her.  It turns out to be a disguised grenade attach to a fish wire.  The arms dealer turns out to be an armored Diamond Tiara, who planned to take over the Changelings and make them her slave race.  And the mysterious threat turned out to be made up by Diamond Tiara herself.  Through her new position, Diamond Tiara takes over the Changelings, and seizes more defenseless territories and expand her power and popularity.  

Speaking of dark, just how dark would the show be if this were in an actual episode?

Queen Chrysalis learns of a new, mysterious threat coming.  She goes to see a mysterious arms dealer for an artifact that could counter this threat.  The mysterious arms dealer demands she becomes the second-in-command of the Changelings.  Queen Chrysalis, out of caution and taking into account the mysterious nature of the threat, negotiates.

The two come to a new agreement: the arms dealer becomes second-in-command, but will be supervised to ensure she does not cause harm for the Changelings.  Queen Chrysalis also would use the artifact as a back-up defense and would have it examined in the meanwhile.  The arms dealer gets a new position as second-in-command.

Soon after Queen Chrysalis flies off the artifact, it detonates and kills her.  It turns out to be a disguised grenade attach to a fish wire.  The arms dealer turns out to be an armored Diamond Tiara, who planned to take over the Changelings and make them her slave race.  And the mysterious threat turned out to be made up by Diamond Tiara herself.  Through her new position, Diamond Tiara takes over the Changelings, and seizes more defenseless territories and expand her power and popularity.  

We now present to you My Little Pony as retold by Clint Eastwood...

"Dark" is such a strong (and overused) word. Being more "dramatic" or "serious" is the thing.

That said, it's fine the way it is. Remember: this is a show for little girls. Oh sure, it's not sugary sweet and is accessible to a wider audience, but at the end of the day it's a show for girls, based on girls' toys. You can only take that so far.

Yes, I know its a kids show, I made that clear. But, Little girls are NOT morons or infants. The show should appeal to girls as it does, but it should not sugar coat things for them. I'm not asking for the show to become a dark and gritty experience. It should be upbeat and light-hearted, but it should also be serious and dark when it needs to. As I mentioned, Klonoa is a perfect example of how to be serious and silly.

• Brohoof 2

If it does hopefully not too much. The reason a fair amount of people like it is because it's not too dark. The times suck, Wars, disease, The political situation, An epidemic of kids with guns wanting attention. Turn on the news, Violence, corruption and death from around the globe. You turn on MLP the worst thing you see is ponies being released from slavery. With their captor being banished not killed. Too much darker would probably make a lot of MLP fans quite upset. I personally like it the way it is, It is an amazing show. Just look at the attention it has gotten from all over the world. If you want to see it darker there are a few variant comics that are. MLP is not meant to be dark and should not go that way either. Why mess with one of the few things left that are innocent and fun?

• Brohoof 2