Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Dark do you want FiM to be?

TheMisterManGuy

I share the same opinion as you do, op. If Disney is able to get away with having their villains die in horrible ways, then why can't mlp? 

I would like to see the darker side of Equestrian politics and maybe some tense forign relations like that was hinted at in the season four fanale. I would like to see Grogar and the changelings coming Into season five and I would like to see heavier issues being dealt with.

I would add that I would want none of these to drain the happiness and humor of the series but be fun in the face of adversity like BUFFY the vampire slayer was.

^this is also my opinion. Brohoof for you.

My LIttle Pony Generation 1 is pretty dark. The animation and designs aren't near as good as FiM, but it is a lot darker. You can watch a lot of the episodes on Daily Motion. "Here is Rescue from Midnight Castle."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x199pn6_rescue-from-midnight-castle-parts-1-2-my-little-pony-n-friends-1986_shortfilms

It's not Friendship is Magic, but FiM was based off G1. It is very dark, though. 

My LIttle Pony Generation 1 is pretty dark. The animation and designs aren't near as good as FiM, but it is a lot darker. You can watch a lot of the episodes on Daily Motion. "Here is Rescue from Midnight Castle."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x199pn6_rescue-from-midnight-castle-parts-1-2-my-little-pony-n-friends-1986_shortfilms

It's not Friendship is Magic, but FiM was based off G1. It is very dark, though. 

Um hello, G4 Tirek was not only more powerfull, but he was more competent too.

Um hello, G4 Tirek was not only more powerfull, but he was more competent too.

Tirek isn't the only G1 villian. G1 villians actually put lives at risk. They intend on killing ponies, not cause chaos or steal love or anything like that. G1 Tirek is like Nightmare Moon, except Tirek didn't turn good. 

I prefer the Slice of Life style episodes as opposed to the gritty book ends of each season - which is also why I believe "The Best Night Ever" is the best season finale. 

You don't need to go darker to improve quality, especially when the formula they're using now, which is a lot darker than say, Seasons 1 & 2, is working and pulling in ratings. The show is successful as is, and while some people seem to desire it to become more adult,  I think that further extracting the purity of the show and corroding it further outside of the initial styling would cause a bunch of complaints as well as lower the overall quality of the show. That's one of the reasons I loved S4 so much - it toed the line and was darker than previous seasons while maintaining the sense of fun and innocence. It was a kids show that made me smile, but it also evoked plenty of emotion out of me and was a tour de force I wasn't quite expecting. 

In short - there isn't a need nor a point to do so and it'd only hurt the show and the fandom. 

• Brohoof 5

I really don't want MLP to be any darker than it already is. If I wanted to watch something dark, I'll watch something else.

One reason why I like the show in the first place, is because it's generally bright and happy, not dark and depressing. it's My Little Pony, not Gears of War.

• Brohoof 3

Tirek isn't the only G1 villian. G1 villians actually put lives at risk. They intend on killing ponies, not cause chaos or steal love or anything like that. G1 Tirek is like Nightmare Moon, except Tirek didn't turn good. 

Oh yeah, well how much darker would G4 be than G1 if Diamond Tiara attempted the following:

After they finally get their Cutie Marks, Diamond Tiara attempts to kill the CMC by replacing the chocolates Twist was going to give them with Parasprites when nopony was looking.

Unleashing the Windigos on the Changelings all because one of them accidentally burned down her house in an attempt to cause mischief.

I think that while they should tackle more slightly mature issues, they shouldn't make the show darker.

I find it pretty bothersome to see that some people want darker themes in a show so carefree just because they're bothered with FiM being the way it is right now. FiM always has been a light-hearted show and is often remembered as a lighthearted show. It'll even damage the fandom if FiM became a dark and cynical show. -3-

• Brohoof 1

Why do a lot of people think that the show talking a darker turn automatically means it has to give up Slice of Life episodes and its charm and humor? Seriously, the show can be lighthearted AND dark. It doesn't have to choose one or the other exclusivley.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah but those villains are so generic and boring, mlp g4 has generic villains, but they at least all of something unique, tirek was just boring in g1, grogar was  very dark but still just dull, g1 lacked character is what I am getting at.

Why do a lot of people think that the show talking a darker turn automatically means it has to give up Slice of Life episodes and its charm and humor? Seriously, the show can be lighthearted AND dark. It doesn't have to choose one or the other exclusivley.

I agree. It's a bit like that episode (can't remember the name) where Sweetie Belle Applebloom left to take those goods over and across the dangerous geyser swamp with the chimeras and such. That was kind of a mix between Slice of Life and it had a darker twist to it also!

(edited)

I agree. It's a bit like that episode (can't remember the name) where Sweetie Belle Applebloom left to take those goods over and across the dangerous geyser swamp with the chimeras and such. That was kind of a mix between Slice of Life and it had a darker twist to it also!

Episodes like that arre nice. Plus, there should be serious episodes along with silly ones, and the best part, they can overlap. You can have comic relief in a serious episode, and you can have some drama in a silly episode. Basically, what I would like is a show that's primarily lighthearted, but isn't afraid to get dark and serious when it calls for it.

Also, while it may be aimed at a slightly older, broader, and more male audience, One Piece is another excellent example of a lighthearted show that can take itself seriously when it needs to.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy
  • Brohoof 1

I agree with @TheMisterManGuy too.

The show can have both dark/adventure episodes like the season premieres/finales, Castle Mane-ia etc. and slice-of-life episodes like Pinkie Pride or Read It and Weep. :)

Edited by Blobulle

Well I'm pretty sure that the Smooze isn't as bad as we think.  Thanks to their stupidity, they might run into lava and die.  And who knows.  Maybe characters like Gilda won't get affected by the smooze at all.

Oh yeah, well how much darker would G4 be than G1 if Diamond Tiara attempted the following:

After they finally get their Cutie Marks, Diamond Tiara attempts to kill the CMC by replacing the chocolates Twist was going to give them with Parasprites when nopony was looking.

Unleashing the Windigos on the Changelings all because one of them accidentally burned down her house in an attempt to cause mischief.

What the actual buck are you talking about?Daimond Tiara is a brat in need of dicipline not a homicidal maniac. Honestly.

I think it's fine the way it is, personally, I mean, most of watch it to get away from the harsh reality of the world, and the countless other shows and movies with violence, blood, and pretty dark tones anyway, right? I like the innocence of it right now. Maybe some more mature topics like dealing with death and depression, but nothing too dark or scary.

So dark that I cannot even see the screen.... 

:eww:

I mean I don't want the show to be "darker" the way the show is now I am perfectly happy the way it is. Plus why would a kids show like this need to be "darker" ask yourself that? 

• Brohoof 4

So dark that I cannot even see the screen.... 

:eww:

I mean I don't want the show to be "darker" the way the show is now I am perfectly happy the way it is. Plus why would a kids show like this need to be "darker" ask yourself that? 

Darker episodes doesn't mean the show has to give up its lighthearted charm. People don't seem to get this, but innocence and darkness CAN co-exist. I already cited Klonoa, Hey Arnold! and One Piece as examples.