Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How is the quality of your writing?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

I think my quality of writing is not that good, because I sometimes have to think really hard on some words and I need use some translators aswell. My punctuation is kind of bad and I can't seem to use chapters in my writing.

So overall I give my writing 4.5/10 I could use more practise ;)

• Brohoof 1

I've been writing for several years, so I do have experience. A lot of it has been fanfiction and half-finished novels, but I want to start publishing some flash fiction and short fiction to make a little money on the side. Mostly what I need is more experience and a lot of attempts at reaching that goal.

I don't think you need to worry too much about quality as long as you put in time and effort, honestly. There's a lot of subjectivity when it comes to tastes (so if you're passionate about an idea, there may be others who are, too) and you can always improve your understanding of things like story structure, pacing, etc. It's a growing experience.

Really, the only ones who should be concerned are the ones who don't care enough to even capitalize sentences.

• Brohoof 1

I think, as the person writing it, I am unable to judge it accurately. Apparently academically, I can do fairly well, and I think I'm at least decent writing actual stories, but am I good or bad at some points? I have no idea. Though, I'm very likely not as good as I want to be.

well my handwriting is shit

but as for what I write is great you just need to put a lot of thought into it and have evidence to back it up if its a report if its a story all you need is inspiration and no not drugs depending on the mood of the story try to get yourself in that mood you will get inspired if you think of the story while in that mood that's what I do when I write my stories

I think I do a pretty decent job overall. I've gotten a lot better with what I can do over the years, and it helps that I am used to writing essays and papers for college constantly. Still, though, there is much work to be done and I can definitely improve in some area such as being focused on the topic and providing better arguments for my points in a persuasive essay.

Well, I think I'm pretty decent at writing. Now, I may end up messing up on my tenses here and there, and might have a minor grammatical malfunction, but aside from that, I think I'm decent.

Now handwriting is another story.

• Brohoof 1

Creative writing is uncharted territory for me, though something I would like to explore. Most of what I've written has either been to inform or admonish, and in those I excel, but my vocabulary and approach are dependent upon my audience. One should try to write at the level of those intended to read the piece, regardless of their purpose.

A few fanfic ideas have been swirling about in my mind for a while now. Should I ever devote the time to setting them down on paper, I'll probably need some critiquing from a few experienced friends.

• Brohoof 2

I am apparently really good at academic writing as I've had people comment on how they wish they could write like me (people being envious of me? Psh - Ridiculous!) and even had one of my research papers requested to be used as a sample across all Comp II teachers at the college I attended.

But creative writing? I've hardly tried it. Most of the 'stories' I wrote over the years (which were never completed lol) are complete fluff that would only ever make sense to me and could never be published because a lot of the parts of them are homages to media I loved back then. They're bad, but that's okay, because they were never meant to be anything... And in fact, I can't believe I'm even mentioning them. xD

• Brohoof 2

I'd say my writing is quite good. Academically speaking I could write an essay on a book I hadn't read and be so persuasive and convincing in my argument that I'd pass it. My degree (English/Politics) was basically just making stuff up and convincing people that I was right  :lol:

I enjoy writing fiction though, and I've even got my own wee self publishing company which I've published 2 comics through. I tend to be able to tell when my writing is and isn't good, when a script hits the mark or is just totally unworkable. It can be hit and miss, but I tend to only pursue my strongest ideas.

I've actually started collaborating with some friends on a short film we're going to make together and the story idea is from one of them. I offered to help co-write it of course. Now, I don't think I'm the best writer ever, like I said I feel I know when what I'm doing isn't any good, but I really thought my version of the script was so much better than theirs. But it was my friend who came up with the story idea, so I agreed to most of the changes she wanted to make and go with her version  :okiedokielokie: It's now 95% her script and only 5% mine. This was my first time co-writing with someone, it's very difficult when you're used to just working yourself.

I think my writing is... okay. I'm not very good at keeping people interested in what I've written, or so I've told myself (even I have a hard time staying interested!). I prefer to write factual papers than doing creative writing.

I have a terrible problem with run-on sentences. I'm also iffy about punctuation. I tend to mix and match my punctuation a lot, especially when it comes to commas and semicolons.

I'm not very good at description either. I don't write all that often though. I just never find the oomph to do it even when I have a semi-good idea.

Mine is alright...although, it has seemed like it's went a touch downhill over the last couple years. I suppose that's my fault, not really writing much. I'm not that great at describing, but I'm good at other areas. I also type fast, and that can be both a blessing and a hindrance...since I misspell alot too lol.

Creative writing... I think I might've been better at it at one point but college totally screwed me over with its SCIENCE and now if I'm not careful whatever I end up writing will read like a journal article.

The quality of my writing is more or less average, and inexperienced. It's not great, and it's not terrible. I find that one of the biggest flaws with my writing is description. I know some people like to vividly describe everything, and doing so is a weak spot of mine. 

As far as fictional writing (as the OP is most likely talking about), I do not believe I am very good at it. I lack the internal creativity to write fictitious material. I prefer to express my creativity through my hands in a concrete manner such as my metalworking....

As far as writing in general (high school/college papers), I highly excel at. I tell my friends I am able to pull a paper out of my butt and get an "A" for it. It's not that easy, and I am a heavy procrastinator, but as far a subject materials go, I am very good at getting my point across in a maturely grammatical fashion while being simple and concise at the same time. Although I often run into the problem of re-reading my own material and wonder how I pulled off such a professional job, even though I may not know what the hay I am reading (and I am the one who wrote it)! Hence, why papers come out of my butt...

As much as I love creative writing, I suck horribly at it. I suck at describing things, developing characters, the whole thing.

Edited by Callisto
  • Brohoof 1