Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people?

碇 シンジン

1. Do you judge people based on their profile pic, typing, outer appearance, personal interests etc.? Do you think it's fair to do that?

2. If you were employer would you go and check your job seekers Facebook or other social media profiles before you decide who to hire? Do you think it's fair that some people do it? http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/03/05/facebook-can-tell-you-if-a-person-is-worth-hiring/

My opinions are:

1. Yes, because I like to know what kind of people I'm dealing with and creating some kind of picture from that person helps me come little closer to that person. If I can't create any picture telling me what kind of person I'm dealing with then that person starts to feel more distant to me. 

I think that is pretty fair to do that, because otherwise it would be kind of hard to get to know people over the internet.

2. I don't even use Facebook or other social medias that much. I think that peoples social media profiles shouldn't affect their chances on getting a job. 

I think those people who look social media profiles to choose their employees are close minded, because persons interests or profile pic doesn't relate to his working ethic in any way. But when they have seen those profiles and what kind of people they are it's really hard for them to not to let it affect when they choose the workers.

Absolutely not.

I don't want to be the boss of other people.

Sometimes I judge, when I'm upset or annoyed by somebody, but I quickly take myself out of it and apologize.

To put it simply, I want people to be their best. If I don't believe or have any faith (even in the lowest scum of humanity) then humans will be wishing each other's destruction until we actually make it happen. So I just carry on wishing everybody will be friendly or become friendly and treat them as such.

• Brohoof 3

I think we all innately judge others without even realizing it. Think about that for a second it is true now it is completely different to go and tell someone up right what you think about them. I think people judge others without realizing it.  But I know for one thing never let looks decide whether or not you think someone is a good person or not. Always talk to someone first or get to know them before assuming anything.

• Brohoof 6

1. No. I like to talk to people of all sorts. While I prefer to talk to people who type with good grammar and spelling simply because I find them easier to communicate with, I have lots of friends who type less pristinely. Until recently, I actually did judge and avoid talking to people with poor post form, but this changed when I realized that most of my friends don't pay attention to grammar and they're still wonderful people I enjoy talking to. In fact, I am so desperate to communicate effectively with other people that I sometimes mimic their grammar if it is poor so that they don't think that I think I am better than them and won't be worried about judgement for their own imprecise typing.

2. It's important to know whether or not you're hiring someone with a criminal record or high level of education, but you are not hiring them for who they are outside of the workplace. It doesn't matter if they go to parties on weekends or play the field or anything like that as long as they behave appropriately at work, which is something you likely won't be able to evaluate based on a Facebook profile (unless they are in contact with former bosses and coworkers).

• Brohoof 1

I do my best not to.
Most of the time I do it inside my own head, where no one can see or hear me, but sometimes stuff slips out.
It is a tad bit hypocritical of me, since I do preach non-judgment and unconditional acceptance, but hey, at least I'm an honest hypocrite.

• Brohoof 2

Not gunna lie I do. It's not always bad though. Judging doesn't just mean disliking someone, and also it doesn't mean "oh they look/wear like this so they're gay XXXXD". I judge people on how they act. Act pretentious? Or like an ass? How about like an edgy loser? I don't like you. Act chill? Are you nice? Are you funny? I like you. 

• Brohoof 3

Everybody judges everybody to some extend. It's hard not too. First impressions and all that. Online, the only impression of somebody you get is their avatar and the way they type, so I do judge those things to a certain extent. For example, I often think that people with poor grammar and who type weirdly have lower intelligence. I know logically that those things don't always have to mean that, but I end up thinking that anyway.

The trick is to not let your initial judgements affect the way you act. If I see somebody type badly on the forums, I can't treat them like an idiot just because of my preconceived ideas about what bad typing says about a person. The judgement is there, but I don't need to let it influence me.

• Brohoof 1

This is a touchy subject. In truth, we all judge internally whether we want to admit it or not. Those who openly judge speak from their own internal thoughts. Those of us who choose to listen to our hearts over our minds, will resist the urge to just judge without reason. There is a difference from those who judge openly and judge internally. I'll admit that I judge internally but I'm not going to hate people because of my mental judgements. Even then, keeping judgements internally can be dangerous. Some will judge but keep it quiet, thought their facial expressions will say it.

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer
  • Brohoof 3

1. I do judge people from time to time but only in my head. Typically, I don't see someone and automatically think "Oh, I hate/like that person," because I don't personally know them. Avatar-wise, if I see someone with an avatar of something I love, then I will have a more positive opinion of them than someone else, it just has to do with interests. I don't really judge by looks much but if you're wearing sloppy clothing that makes you look like you just don't care or anything along that line, I will assume some things. Silly of me to assume things because that person could be really kind, but everyone judges whether or not they know it. 

Yes, I would. I would take comfort in knowing I'm hiring someone with actual intelligence, maturity, no known criminal record, and so on. Just some standard 'check-ups' to know who you're actually hiring. If you want a higher chance of being hired, don't post stupid things on your facebook wall or anywhere else. Harmless jokes are fine of course but insulting others and trying to be #edgy will certainly lower your chances of being hired.

I faintly judge people, but It's mostly because I have no room to judge people. If we've chatted before, then you know I'm weird, but I'm also that charming and openly weird guy, like, " I don't what it is about him, but he seems cool." I'm that person that will look like a total moron just to make someone smile.

If you haven't chatted with me, I'd love to get to know you!  :muffins:

I would look through the internet for job stuff, I would probably make sure they didn't lie on their resume and stuff.

Edited by GammaDove

I'm particularly bad when it comes to judging people, I'm not going to lie.

There's some kind of defense mechanism when it comes to that. Part of us is being wary of others, while not judging people is kind of a voluntary action. As for some occasions, I couldn't really care less for the affairs of others, but there are certain things where it's kind of hard not to judge. Especially this fandom. Before I became a Brony. Pffft. Oh Gosh.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

I'm particularly bad when it comes to judging people, I'm not going to lie.

There's some kind of defense mechanism when it comes to that. Part of us is being wary of others, while not judging people is kind of a voluntary action. As for some occasions, I couldn't really care less for the affairs of others, but there are certain things where it's kind of hard not to judge. Especially this fandom. Before I became a Brony. Pffft. Oh Gosh.  :lol:

I know that bad at judging people thing, I once spent three hours looking at random profiles on this site, silently judging them all, and considered it "Judgement Day."

• Brohoof 1

Well, whether you like to or not you subconciously judge people the moment you see them, it is an inate biological mechanism that for the most part cannot be overridden. However, acting on those judgements is were you see issues.

As for appearence on the job, it depends on the work. If it is fast food I would not care as long as they do not have bodily modifications that would make them un sanitary (such as large nose pericings that may allow for easier access of germs and viruses). But if I were hiring a body guard, or a group of contracters I would most certainly take appearence into account, as having a un-professional looking security force can actually cause your force to be attacked more often than if it looked professional.

• Brohoof 2

No to judging in general. Not unless somepony were to judge me first and made a big deal of it, then we have a problem. Otherwise, I'm as cool as the other side of the pillow, baby.

• Brohoof 1

I make it a point to avoid judging people, as long as they aren't harming others or doing something illegal.

There are plenty of people who get under my skin and sometimes I want to bop them on the head or something, but I never act on that. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt. I want to remember that I'm not always right and I wasn't always as smart as I am now. I want to give people the freedom they need to just be themselves. If I did judge or acted out on my frustrations, that would not make me a better person nor would it make me a good friend.

Someone once said that if you can't befriend the people you despise the most, you shouldn't be making friends at all. That saying is a HUGE exaggeration, but there is some truth to it. You will attract more bees with honey that with spite, and you might be surprised how many trolls out there really just need a friend.

• Brohoof 1

I won't lie, I do. But only a bit. I then remember that judging someone immediately isn't a good idea.

And for numero due, I would never be the boss of anyone.

Of course I judge people at least a little, I'm not perfect. I think it's fair to judge them based on first glance, but not being entirely closed minded within reason. First impressions are extremely important, the way you display yourself in public is out in the open and ultimately your choice. For example, I may treat a businessman with more respect than a guy walking down the street wearing a loose T-shirt with their jeans halfway down their legs. They might be an outstanding fellow too, but their outward appearance doesn't result in a great first impression, thus they start with a bit less respect from me.

And if I were a boss, I'd be stupid not to check facebook. People just throw their personal information online without a second thought. You can find out so much information from a person's facebook profile: their personal connections, their social lives, their past, their reputation (lazy, hard working, smart, stupid...), etc. If you have the ability to gather that kind of information without breaking the facebook TOS (such as asking for the person's password), then all that information is public knowledge and can/should be used against you. Fix your privacy settings or don't post damaging content.

As for 1: Yes. Maybe it's slightly unfair of me, but in most instances iv'e noticed, people who act a single way, have a certain type of profile pic or what not, usually reflected certain traits about their personality. You can learn alot about a person based on the nature of their posts (For instance, you can learn about their interests, their writing style and level, some of their searches, politic opinions, and more), so yes.

As for 2: Also yes. We live in a networked age of social media. Checking somebody's profile is a very legitimate action and can tell you a lot about the nature of the person you might be hiring. It's considered a smart practice for an employer to know their candidates before putting them to work. It has nothing to do with personal feelings and the like, it's just a clean, smart business approach. 

1.) Yes, I do, but not nearly to the extent that I judge based on your actions and demeanor towards me or towards, say, a class we are both enrolled in. Act like a dumbass in front of me, and you've just knocked yourself down a lot in my eyes, unless, of course, I already have prior knowledge that you're not always a doofus. Don't treat our professor or their class with respect? Then I don't respect you.

Profile pics on the internet? I can't tell anything about you from that, unless it's a picture of you yourself on FB or something. Physical appearance? Yes, I'll be potentially put off, due to my natural nervousness around people.

2.) I'd like to say I'd be too lazy for that kind of crap, but I would probably do some snoopin', just so I know you're not a complete ass.

1. I try not to. I think judging someone based on their avatar is a little silly, since it (usually) doesn't tell you very much about them. I try not to judge based on physical appearance either, but as some others have pointed out, it might give off the impression that you don't take care of yourself if you dress messy/have bad hygiene.

As for having good grammar, English isn't everyone's first language here so we can't expect everyone to write perfectly.

2. Maybe... I don't know. :huh:

Interesting topic, indeed :) Can't wait to answer it, so here it goes:

1) I must start off by saying that I'm propably one of the LEAST judgemental people you will meet. I don't just base that on my own sense of identity, but also on the reactions I get from people. That being said, yes I judge. Everyone judges, without an exception. I usually judge people on their looks and charms, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Of course, that doesn't define whether or not I like that person, but it gives me an idea of how cautious I want to be around them. Can they understand sarcasm? Can I start talking about controversial subjects soon or late? Stuff like that. It's actually pretty healthy to judge people a little bit, as long as you remember that the idea you get from a first impression isn't accurate. Psychopaths know how important a first impression is and that's how they get close to people.

2) Facebook... I love facebook, and it can give me a general idea of how a person functions and whether or not we have things in common, to a certain degree. Do I condone employers to use it to "spy" on potential employees? HELL NO! Facebook is a crazy place. A lot of people don't take it seriously (even though too many people DO, which is sad). Judging someone on his facebook page is like judging a book by it's cover... literally! A boss usually doesn't care what their employees do in their free time, as long as they don't cause any trouble for the company, so I think it's nasty that they use facebook for first empressions.

That's it I guess... Facebook is awesome, but it has it's flaws. I mainly use it to share interesting or funny things, and nothing more.

1.) Hate to admit it but yeah I do! DX. I mean, how else can you know what a person is like over the inernet?! All you have is a picture 'representing' them, the way they convey there ideas and thats it! sooo... STOP MAKING ME FEEL GUILTY HEART!! 

2.) Nahh... I dont use facebook that much actually... :P