Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hello everypony,

I've been wondering about a possibility that only unicorns can be alicorns.

In the first episode Celestia used her "unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn" and in the smartphone app intro cutscene in the tale of the two sisters "the younger unicorn (Luna) refused to lower the moon."

(

)

Looking at Twilight formerly a unicorn and Cadence - arguably either a unicorn if you follow Lauren Faust's vision or a pegasus in one of the books, there's no way other kinds of ponies e.g. earth, crystal, maybe pegasus can become alicorns. 

What do you think? I've searched the forums and hoping this topic is not covered yet... :proud:

Edited by eekster

Well, Cadance was apparently a pegasus, so, I guess your theory is not correct, lol.

Although, I think it would be easier to grow a pair of wings than a horn (Besides, since a pegasus does not have access to magic, it kinds of makes it hard for it to become an alicorn, if you see what I mean). But still, it is possible.

• Brohoof 10

Yeah, the comics/books are canon, so pegasi can become alicorns. As can earth ponies presumably.

I like to compare becoming an alicorn to the process of self-realization. Think of how Aang mastered the Avatar State by becoming one with himself and with his true meaning. Something like that maybe. 

I also like to theorize that all three races of ponies, as well as non-pony creatures in Equestria, have magic, but only unicorns are able to turn it into spells and stuff. I mean, Pegasi can stand on clouds. Surely there's something magical about that.

• Brohoof 6

Pegasi can be alicorns I believe but it's kind of like giving a nuclear bomb with an easy button to a child.

It's unlikely to be given because they don't understand the power that's being handed to them like a unicorn with a long experience of magic is.

• Brohoof 1

Princess Cadence supposedly debunks this theory (in the children's book, she was a Pegasus that became an Alicorn)...however, the books, other than EQG, have not been pointed out as canon, so and thus I do not trust them (I have read all of them thus far, and boy they are girly)

Yeah, the comics/books are canon, so pegasi can become alicorns. As can earth ponies presumably.

I like to compare becoming an alicorn to the process of self-realization. Think of how Aang mastered the Avatar State by becoming one with himself and with his true meaning. Something like that maybe. 

I also like to theorize that all three races of ponies, as well as non-pony creatures in Equestria, have magic, but only unicorns are able to turn it into spells and stuff. I mean, Pegasi can stand on clouds. Surely there's something magical about that.

See, that's where I'm confused. Lots of fans consider the book/comics secondary canon or not canon at all.

Anyhoof, it'll be hard for earth ponies to become Alicorns as they need to evolve to have a horn for magic and wings for....awesomeness. Segue to pokemon, hehe. I have to watch Avatar again to recall that scene.

Princess Cadence supposedly debunks this theory (in the children's book, she was a Pegasus that became an Alicorn)...however, the books, other than EQG, have not been pointed out as canon, so and thus I do not trust them (I have read all of them thus far, and boy they are girly)

Yeah, me too. I don't believe the books are canon. I would like to ask you since you've read the books, I haven't. Are the authors free to write anything in the MLP books without thinking whether there may be some discrepancies to the show or not?

I'm going with Lauren Faust's initial intention of Cadence being a unicorn, since the show doesn't rely on the books.

Well, the comics are official MLP comics. Therefore, they should be considered canon. There are discrepancies, because they don't pay attention and we've seen that plenty of times in the show.

Lauren Faust is no longer involved with the show so her opinion no longer matters.

• Brohoof 3

Well, the comics are official MLP comics. Therefore, they should be considered canon. There are discrepancies, because they don't pay attention and we've seen that plenty of times in the show.

Lauren Faust is no longer involved with the show so her opinion no longer matters.

I think the differences are the reason why most fans don't consider other media as canon. For me, I would follow the comics (I'm not a book guy :D) if it does not affect the show, I'm cool with that... and of course, if the story is interesting. Now, If it's like those Naruto fillers, I would go back to my MLP season 1-4 binge.

You've made a great point that Lauren Faust is no longer in the picture but I wonder if the show's writers considered continuity and consistency all across the media. Like they will set the guide book, and the chapter book authors can work around it... Just a thought..

I wonder if the show's writers considered continuity and consistency all across the media.

Well, there is a general lack of continuity in the show itself so I doubt that they are checking continuity in other media. However, lack of continuity is quite common in TV series where each episode is independent.

About consistency, even though some things don't feel right, I don't think we have seen contradictions yet. 

I see the books and comics as part of the universes official continuity. I actually didn't originally feel that way until both sides of the creative team under Hasbro cleared it up a little by stating that Hasbro tries to ensure ... well ... this is what they said

Will any of the characters in the official comics sneak into the series?
It's certainly a thing they would consider since the characters already exist.  They try to keep the universe of pony connected.

Cadance is an ascended Alicorn like Twilight, but from the Pegasi race.

• Brohoof 2

See, that's where I'm confused. Lots of fans consider the book/comics secondary canon or not canon at all.

Yeah, me too. I don't believe the books are canon. I would like to ask you since you've read the books, I haven't. Are the authors free to write anything in the MLP books without thinking whether there may be some discrepancies to the show or not?

I'm going with Lauren Faust's initial intention of Cadence being a unicorn, since the show doesn't rely on the books.

The comics are official in the canon. However, they are "B" canon. Basically what the show creators say is that the comics are complete canon until the show proves otherwise (such as characters in the comics not being the same as in the show in regards to characterization, settings, interactions, etc.).  The comics are confirmed this by the DHX staff, which makes it legitimate.

The children's books do not have the same "stamp of approval" from DHX. As far as your question, I would say yes, pretty much. However, thus far they have characterized the Mane 6 thus far very well, although the stories, are as childish as they come and just don't fit in with how the characters would act in the show if presented the same situation, except Pinkie's book...but her book is really just playing with what her character would always do, so I cannot say it's anything special. Twilight's book was especially ingratiating, it really takes her questioning of princesshood and runs with it, presenting a story that really doesn't work (I had to read it twice because it wasn't making much sense due to plot conveniences and contrivances)....

I believe what the author(s) do with these books is take the obvious character archetypes, the settings from the show, and put it together to make a simple kid's story. In reality, just doing that is more than enough for a early reader's chapter book. There is no depth to the stories, no twists or turns, and is completely and utterly geared to young children.

The children's books do not have the same "stamp of approval" from DHX.

Where are you getting that nugget from? Considering that both G.M Barrow and Amy Keating Rogers write for the show and the books (DHX hired GM Barrow recently to pen for the actual show), that MLP does not have an actual 'archivist' weirdo creating a convoluted cannon hierarchy like Star Wars, and, that yes DHX is actually one of the right's holders listed in the children's books, I really would like to see the source behind that quote.

I see the books and comics as part of the universes official continuity. I actually didn't originally feel that way until both sides of the creative team under Hasbro cleared it up a little by stating that Hasbro tries to ensure ... well ... this is what they said

Cadance is an ascended Alicorn like Twilight, but from the Pegasi race.

Wouldn't it be great if they did it like the superhero comic books where there are different universes (Amazing Spiderman, Spectacular Spiderman, what have you)? When I was a kid, I find it confusing though so they'll probably won't go with that idea. Oh well, it isn't bad to hope...

I don't really think so no. As alicorns appearantly have the combined power of all the pony races it would be unlogical if only unicorns would be able to become an alicorn.

According to ze comics (which this one is considered cannon I believe) Cadence was a pegasus before becoming a princess. Whether you see it as an answer is up to you c:

EDIT NOTE!: I did not read the other replies at all xD

Edited by Sugar Cuddles

Personally, I am going to go with no. However, according to a blog on the MLP wiki, Andy Price has said that the comics are completely up to the reader/viewer on whether they are canon or not. Personally, I feel they are. However some things do tend to be confusing, such as why Nightmarity was never acknowledged & how Chrysalis stealing the CMC is never acknowledged... Pretty much any major villain not being acknowledged that had a return in the comics but not in the show annoys me to no end. Despite this until I hear the characters say that Nightmarity never existed or Chrysalis never came back, I have no reason to feel that the comics have stopped being canon.

Unfortunately for Lauren, many things have changed since her original plans, therefore the chances of the comics becoming comics without her consent is highly likely. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they became canon & therefore indefinitely proved alicorns are not based on just 1 race as your theory states.

I am not saying your theory is wrong, necessarily. If you focus on only the show, then it is possible that only unicorns can become alicorns. However the proble one has with that is that I cannot recall a point in the show where they stated whether this was canon or non-canon, so I stick with the knowledge given me.

Article in MLP wiki, go down to the "Comics" section & the first line mentions Andy's opinion on the comics, gl finding the actual article

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess.

They mention Celestia and Luna's unicorn powers, but that's because they hadn't yet started using the term alicorn to describe what they were. Fans were the first to refer to Luna and Celestia as alicorns after borrowing the term from a Piers Anthony novel, but the term wasn't used in the show until the third season (in Magic Duel).

And then there's Cadance. Yes, although a Princess, she was originally supposed to be a unicorn, like Prince Blueblood, but she ended up being an alicorn as well, so... she's an alicorn. According to the books, she was originally a pegasus, and I've seen nothing in the show to contradict it, so, I'm just going with my usual policy of considering the books to be canon until the show says they're not.

I don't really think so no. As alicorns appearantly have the combined power of all the pony races it would be unlogical if only unicorns would be able to become an alicorn.

This is also a good point, if alicorns are made up of all 3 types of ponies (and who knows, maybe they have a bit of zebra thrown in for shits & giggles?) why would only one kind be allowed to become an alicorn? At that point they would just be upgraded unicorns, not a mixture of the 3 pony races

• Brohoof 1