Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on Anita Sarkeesian and her video series?

AlbaTross

Since the infamous feminist from last year has recently returned with more videos, I figured it would be as good a time as any to start a topic on her. I won't be posting her vids here, as some of them get into M rated content, and they're a simple google search away if you want to find them. It seems like it's next to impossible to have a mature discussion about this person, and her video series, but I figured if it's at all possible anywhere, it'll be in the forum I frequent where people generally approach topics in a mature manner, realizing that this topic still could easily be locked if not handled right.

The parameters of this discussion are simple. I ask that you keep it clean, and keep discussion related to the Tropes Vs. Women in Gaming video series, and the issue it raises. I will start, to get the ball rolling. I do think the topic Anita discusses is a valid one, and as a social science major, I can't say I've never thought about it, since I've been challenged to think more critically of the media I consume, and as a gamer, I do think a lot about the implications of certain game elements(this topic is just one of many). I don't think Anita tackles the topic in quite the right way though. She isn't the most charismatic individual, and her half hour commentary format isn't the most engaging. Citing the most miserable looking feminists is not a way to get people on her side either.

She doesn't really make many arguments either. Once in a while she'll make an argument and/or offer an alternative to a common trope, but at least a good 95% of the time, she simply describes a controversial issue in all its forms, and shows examples of it. If nothing else, I never really thought about how often some of these tropes come up, particularly that last one, but I wish she went beyond just saying, "this happens often in videogames, and that's bad". As it stands, I think her vids are a good sleep remedy, but that's not because I don't appreciate the issue. I've at least managed to get through all of them so far though. Alright, I open the topic up to everyone else now.