Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming "New" 3DS Announced by Nintendo.

BayoUni2847

Nintendo has just announced a new version of the 'Nintendo 3DS' handheld called the 'New Nintendo 3DS'.

post-25040-0-34365800-1409348732_thumb.png

A standard size 3Ds and a larger variation called "LL" come in a multitude of colors.

The standard sized New 3DS has colored buttons similar to a Super Famicon Controller.

post-25040-0-46483700-1409348830_thumb.png

Ooo, retro.

Whilst the New 3DS "LL" sports a look similar to a Gamecube controller.

post-25040-0-70505000-1409348904_thumb.png

Ooo, early 2000s.

The "New" 3DS comes with a second analog stick that is similar to the C-Stick that on Gamecube controllers.

post-25040-0-38450900-1409349028_thumb.png

Ooo, overused joke.

The cartridge slot is found underneath the handheld to the left, the pen in the middle and the power button to the right.

post-25040-0-14157300-1409349107_thumb.png

It also has a ZR and ZL buttons between the two shoulder buttons.

post-25040-0-23459000-1409349143_thumb.png

Other functions include the screen being able to auto-dim in certain situations allowing extended battery life, has a better CPU so it can run games faster, 3D has been revamped to allow head tracking so anyone can view the 3D effect from different angles and it will implement the "Amiibo" that was announced with the new Super Smash Bros. title.

It'll be released in Japan this October. Plans for U.S. won't happen in 2014.

Credit goes to Kotaku for the information and pictures The article can be viewed here: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-just-announced-a-new-3ds-1628389333/all .

Personally, I can't wait for this. Having a C-Stick similar to the Gamecube controller sounds really nice.

• Brohoof 4

Eh........my time and thoughts on Nintendo went downhill, b/c of MS's Xbox and Sony's PS.  Not to mention, the "New Nintendo 3DS"........seriously couldn't they have come up with a better name than that.  Its horrible, IMO.

BTW, i have a hunch, judging by xbox and playstation.................i don't think Nintendo will last longer. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm looking forward to getting this, I'm especially looking forward to the better 3D effect and enhanced processor speed. Aw yeah  B)

Eh........my time and thoughts on Nintendo went downhill, b/c of MS's Xbox and Sony's PS.  Not to mention, the "New Nintendo 3DS"........seriously couldn't they have come up with a better name than that.  Its horrible, IMO.

BTW, i have a hunch, judging by xbox and playstation.................i don't think Nintendo will last longer. 

Yeah, people have been saying as-much for the last several years. Nintendo will be fine, they've got money to burn and bring the innovation/quirkiness that makes them sort of irreplaceable. Realistically I'd bet on either Microsoft of Sony dropping out of the console circuit as their machines becomes more homogenized and PCs keep kickin' butt with Steam and GoG.

• Brohoof 1

Nintendo will fall when the PC falls. It's not gonna happen, no matter how much people say it will. And while the Wii U isn't profitable, the 3DS is very profitable and has almost no competition, unless you count the PS Vita. Which isn't even really that competitive. Nintendo as a whole has enough money to continue operating unprofitably until 2050, so any speculation that they're not gonna last much longer is pure, misinformed bullshit.

Anyway, I've been looking to upgrade my 3DS for a while now as it's an aging one from 2011 (bought it before the price drop) and it's really beginning to show its age. For a while I was having trouble with the Internet and the hardware is struggling to keep up with more modern games, like Pokemon out of all things. Although, Pokemon is more due to the game's poor optimization than anything, but whatever.

• Brohoof 3

I'm just on the fence about this. What games would incorporate the new controls? Would the cartridge have a higher risk of accidentally ejecting now that it's at the front? Is Nintendo's naming department in need of fresh blood?

However, I can see Nintendo not screwing this up as long as they only focus on software downloads for the system instead of retail games, just like they did for the DSi. I don't see myself picking this up unless I'm properly convinced.

This is very exciting news for me. Looks like I'll be a 3DS owner again. Gonna get the 4 inch lite model. Shame north america isn't getting it this year. I think it's because they want to try to get rid of some inventory this year.

• Brohoof 1

I'm just on the fence about this. What games would incorporate the new controls? Would the cartridge have a higher risk of accidentally ejecting now that it's at the front? Is Nintendo's naming department in need of fresh blood?

Why does something need a cool name?

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet."

My one big gripe with neigh sayers is that they are all like, "It's the end of the 3DS because this is better and all the games will be exclusive now." No it won't be the end of the 3DS because nintendo did this already with other systems. THe N64 got the upgraded red processor thingy and it had exclusive titles. "But that was in a bundle with Donkey Kong 64 and was cheaper!" FIne let's go to the next example, DSi that had things that the DS didn't and nobody died. Hell the regular DS was supported all the way to the end along with it.

This is just a modified version that will have exclusive games that are more niche than main stream. So far the only exclusive game announced is a game that like 80% of Nintendo fans don't know about. Xenoblade Chronicles is fairly under the radar but its devoted fans will get this just to play it again.  It also will make playing regular 3DS games easier anyways.

• Brohoof 2

This looks pretty slick, but I hate the name. "New 3DS?" Really?

Same the thing with the "Wii", and the later added "U". It's awful. It looks like Nintendo never managed to get a good name for their consoles.

For the topic, this console looks great, as usual, But I'm not sure about the cartridge on the bottom... you know, when you smash your DS on the corner of a desk.

Plans for U.S. won't happen in 2014.

I find it funny that they say that the year I'm asking for a 3DS for Christmas (seriously, my DS lite is going bad. Sound broke on it and it's just kinda.. outdated)

Oh Nintendo, will you ever run out of ideas? ^_^ I like how it has both a new and classic look with the colored buttons and all, looks kind of retro B) Hmm..I wonder how many exclusive games this one will have that gamers will just HAVE to get. Nintendo you devils you  :mustache: 

• Brohoof 4

Cool, I need a replacement anyway...

But it's coming here next year, don't think I'm patient enough for that to play Smash honestly. :P

Looks like it'll be an awesome model though! I'll hope to at least get one eventually, if only for dat portable Xenoblade. :D

What is this? An analog stick for ants?

Actually they do that with some laptop models I've seen. They are actually really reactive and function better than regualr joysticks.

Wait, Nintendo makes laptops?

No no no no no I'm just saying that tiny joy sticks aren't a new thing. I have seen all sorts of companies use them and they are really reactive. They mearly meant companies

Edited by Ami Mizuno

Dang, I was hoping it would be an announcement about the successor to the 3DS or something but it looks like just another version of the 3DS. If people want to get it great but as for me unless me 3DS went kaput I don't see any reason to get this.

It is at least not as bad as the name Microsoft came up with for their latest console the Xbox "One" and their explanation was probably the most pretentious I ever heard, before that I thought the Wii U was the worst console name ever.

• Brohoof 1

Dang, I was hoping it would be an announcement about the successor to the 3DS or something but it looks like just another version of the 3DS. If people want to get it great but as for me unless me 3DS went kaput I don't see any reason to get this.

But man think of the processing power! The second stick! the rotating 3D! the auto dim! FASTER LOADING ON REGULAR 3DS GAMES! BETTER RESOLUTION! MORE MEMORY SPACE! BUILT IN AMIIBO!

tl;dr

I'm a Nintendo fanboy for life and I will ad this to my 3DS collection.

Not surprised. Its pretty common for Nintendo to release newer versions of their handhelds.

Personally, I never felt like I needed to shell out more money for the newest ones (exepct for the gameboy xp because dat backlight). I most likely won't buy this new 3DS either. Not out of any kind of elitism or anything, I just don't feel like I need to upgrade my old one.

• Brohoof 1