Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What is your favourite shooter that has aged well?

Handsome Changeling

The topic title implies that my favorite shooters are old enough to have aged at all. :P

I see that this topic is meant for older shooters as I enter though, which I'm positively uninformed about. I didn't really start playing shooters until the Gamecube/PS2 and even then I only played a couple.

Gotta say my favorites are:

Rage

Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Geist

I hate to be "That Guy", but Metroid Prime isn't a shooter.

Well why wouldn't it be? It has all the elements of one, just has a different pace and direction than more action-packed games like James Bond or Turok.

Genre-hybrid games are becoming increasingly popular of late and though Metroid Prime may not be strictly shooter it still has enough elements from the genre to be considered one. Much like Bioshock is as much shooter as it is horror or Fallout is shooter and RPG.

• Brohoof 1

OP didn't specify FPS in either the topic title or initial post, so I say:

Gyruss (NES) - Old school SHMUP, baby!  Dunno why I said baby, but it felt right.  P.S. I lurv this game.

Super C (NES) - Technically a run n' gun but WHATEVS!  There's shooting in it, in the form of little visible bullet-y things.

Super R-Type (SNES) - Scrolling shooter.  Nope, no FPS yet lol.

R-Type III (SNES)

Gradius III (SNES)

U.N. Squadron (SNES)

Contra III (SNES) - Run n' gun again.  Shooting happens!!1!

Ikaruga (GCN) - Welcome to bullet hell.  Not especially old by my standards.  But OP named PS2, and GCN was a same-gen system.

DOOM - There's your FPS.

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 1

I am honestly surprised that this topic got lots of people talking. It is interesting to see others talk about there favourite older shooters and I have seen some said by many, for example DOOM which was almost certain to be on here as a well aged shooter. 

I have seen TimeSplitters mentioned a few times and for those who said that, your awesome.  :D

Battlefield. When BF3 Beta came out I played the crap out of it and still play it now. I even play Battlefield 1942 sometimes and it's very enjoyable :) . But when Battlefield 4 came out I didn't really enjoy it. There was just something about it that didn't make me want to play it again. So I went back to Battlefield 3 and play it daily :D

Goldeneye 007 on N64. Havent played it in a while (since my N64 is so old sometimes it screws games up :( ) but when I do, I like to play multiplayer with my little sis, she always makes up funny and weird objectives and missions. Also CoD: MW3.

I would say Counter-Strike 1.6 also known as "The first shooter game I've ever played".

People still play that cometitively. I say it's aged pretty well :V

battlefield series, after the fail known as battlefield 4 it's crap now

I think the downfall was BC2.

That was supposed to be an arcade spinoff of the series but then both BF3 and BF4 just haven't been the same.

I mean BF3 is a fun game and all that (My PC can't run BF4 so I don't really know about it :v) but it feels nothing like old school Battlefield

I would say Counter-Strike 1.6 also known as "The first shooter game I've ever played".

People still play that cometitively. I say it's aged pretty well :V

I think the downfall was BC2.

That was supposed to be an arcade spinoff of the series but then both BF3 and BF4 just haven't been the same.

I mean BF3 is a fun game and all that (My PC can't run BF4 so I don't really know about it :v) but it feels nothing like old school Battlefield

I ment that i Wouldn't buy a battlefield game on release day ever again and about bad company 2 i am a console veteran bean a team worker since 2010 

The French Revolution and the World Wars

oh god I should kill myself

Uhm, I really like the original Touhou's (which could sort of be classified as a shooter for sure). Touhou is a great, if overly massive, franchise. :P

Battlefield. When BF3 Beta came out I played the crap out of it and still play it now. I even play Battlefield 1942 sometimes and it's very enjoyable :) . But when Battlefield 4 came out I didn't really enjoy it. There was just something about it that didn't make me want to play it again. So I went back to Battlefield 3 and play it daily :D

Not to mention the problems it got with china and the game itself, i'll never buy a battlefield game on release day ever again! Fuck you EA! 

Not to mention the problems it got with china and the game itself, i'll never buy a battlefield game on release day ever again! Fuck you EA! 

Your avatar! C&C Generals is amazing. So many quotables. Favorite C&C next to Red Alert.

Back on topic, this reminded me of C&C Renegade an FPS based on the Command & Conquer universe, which has aged poorly but was a ton of fun during the beta, then I completely stopped playing after the game was released. Too much whining and reactionary patching out everything that made it fun (i.e. sniping helicopters with sniper rifles because why not.)

Your avatar! C&C Generals is amazing. So many quotables. Favorite C&C next to Red Alert.

Back on topic, this reminded me of C&C Renegade an FPS based on the Command & Conquer universe, which has aged poorly but was a ton of fun during the beta, then I completely stopped playing after the game was released. Too much whining and reactionary patching out everything that made it fun (i.e. sniping helicopters with sniper rifles because why not.)

What i can say i love GLA! Best faction 

No one has mentioned Star Wars Battlefront? Those games played a huge part of my childhood, when I used to be a huge Star Wars nut. I would spend hours just playing Instant Action on random maps. I used to be pretty good... Well, as good as you can be against bots :lol:

No one is saying the Ratchet & Clank games...?

I've only played and finished Ratchet & Clank 3/Up Your Arsenal and Ratchet Deadlocked/Gladiator, but there is just a lot of replay value in those games. I really want to try the previous games now.

YES! You have to play Ratchet and Clank 2. My favourite :) The humour and the story is fantastic, and the characters are hilarious. Ratchet and Clank 1 is also pretty good.

Edited by Raritas

I don't find shooters that age that great normally, but Halo back when Bungie had it (Halo 4 is CRAP). Halo 2 may be my least favorite of the original trilogy, it's still a decent B+ for me. Halo 3 is my third favorite FPS of all time.

Battlefield Bad Company, the first one. Not sure how well it actually holds up in terms of gameplay, I know that the multiplayer might not hold up too well. However, the campaign is still awesome. It is one of my favorite FPS campaigns ever thanks to the humor, characters, and light hearted nature. Bad Company 2 was better in every technical aspect, but the campaign...ugh, they ruined it by trying to capitalize on the MW2 hype of the time. Such a disappointment that one was.

Other than that, I'd say Halo 1 still holds up well too.