Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What will the future of music be?

BronyPony

So, I just saw this video with music and I thought it might be music of the future. What do you think of it?  :lol:

What do you think the future of music will be? Post examples.

Edited by BronyPony
  • Brohoof 2

So, I just saw this video with music and I thought it might be music of the future. What do you think of it?  :lol:

If this is the direction that popular music is going, then I'm perfectly content with staying behind, thank you very much.

I'm sure there are techno enthusiasts who can appreciate this garbage, but I don't understand it.

• Brohoof 2

I'm sure there are techno enthusiasts who can appreciate this garbage, but I don't understand it.

Close-minded, much? If you don't like it, just say so instead of insulting the content.  >_>

Close-minded, much? If you don't like it, just say so instead of insulting the content.  >_>

Oh, closed-minded, am I?

I gave it a chance and it doesn't appeal to me. It sounds awful and there's nothing I can do to change that.

I can't FORCE myself to like this, nor would I want to.

Edited by Derpaholic
  • Brohoof 2

Oh, closed-minded, am I?

I gave it a chance and it doesn't appeal to me. It sounds awful and there's nothing I can do to change that.

If it doesn't appeal to you, then just say so instead of saying its garbage.

I can't FORCE myself to like this, nor would I want to.0

Not forcing you to, just don't go saying its garbage because you don't like it.

• Brohoof 1

If it doesn't appeal to you, then just say so instead of saying its garbage.

Not forcing you to, just don't go saying its garbage because you don't like it.

It's garbage.

My participation in this thread is over.

If this is the direction that popular music is going, then I'm perfectly content with staying behind, thank you very much.

I love Techno but I don't like this either

Just saying but Techno is one sub-genre of dance music, like how Punk is one sub-genre of Rock

Not all electronic music is Techno

Edited by Scootaloodle

Ummm...I don't really see this becoming all that popular. I mean, it sounds like pure experimentation to me.

For me...it sounds awful, and I usually try to stay open-minded about things, but I had to stop it.

Just give me an orchestra/choir or metal band, thank you.

Ummm...I don't really see this becoming all that popular. I mean, it sounds like pure experimentation to me.

For me...it sounds awful, and I usually try to stay open-minded about things, but I had to stop it.

Just give me an orchestra/choir or metal band, thank you.

It is experimentation. Not saying I completely liked it, but saying its garbage just leaves objectivity instead of subjectivity.

• Brohoof 1

It is experimentation. Not saying I completely liked it, but saying its garbage just leaves objectivity instead of subjectivity.

Well, I'm not calling it garbage, but there is also a saying that one shouldn't leave ones mind TOO open or lest their brain will fall through their ears.*

*May or may not be the actual full quote.

I changed the topic title to broaden the discussion.

Well, in that case, the future of music will be determined by what's popular amongst the younger crowds. Whether or not it's quality music will be subjective, but what that music will be is hard to determine.

I was not expecting that, I was just expecting something like glitch hop or dubstep, but it just sounds like a video game glitching to me. I don't really think it'll be the future of music and it doesn't really appeal to me, but if it does, hey, knock yourself out.

Well it wasn’t my thing: but I don’t listen to crazy glitch music anyway.

I don’t know what the future of music will be: 

But what we have today will most likely form the basis for the future, what genres take off and become a thing is another question.

The majority of today’s popular music genres, are based on another genre with new ideas thrown in that make it a different genre.

EG I don’t like Dubstep, but I’m aware that Dubstep is a slower alternative version of Drum and Bass music.

And Hip-Hop is arguably Soul music but instead of a song the new idea is that the artist do raps instead.

I don't know a lot about music but it seems intuitive to me that in the future, music will be produced mostly on computers. Glitch, dubstep, and electronica in general are examples of what I expect future music to sound like.  Rather than mastering an instrument, many musicians will focus almost entirely on composition because a computer can generate all kinds of sounds in addition to mimicking traditional instruments. Instruments won't go away entirely. Physical instruments will still be valued by purists and because they produce unique tones due to their construction and how they're played. Live performances will also be a venue for traditional instruments. 

Whether or not it's quality music will be subjective

This is a great point. In a social experiment, one of the world's most renowned violinists played in a busy subway station. To a musician, it probably would have been obvious that he was a master of his instrument, but to the average person he might have sounded like just another street performer playing for tips. It begs the question, is great art great if it doesn't inspire?

This is a  really interesting topic! Thanks for bringing it up! The piece that made me think music was really changing into something uniquely modern is actually MLP related. This glitch remix of the MLP theme by Alex S is mostly unintelligible in terms of anything lyrical but it still evoked a joyful emotion from me. 

http://youtu.be/2R677MV--WI

• Brohoof 2

I can see it becoming purely electronic and driving me even further away. I already can't listen to today's mainstream pop because it just sounds so dull, when not even the voices are allowed to be much of any degree of natural anymore.

Not to hate on everything electronic. I like the level of electronic instruments used in 60s/70s music. After that it became largely hit or miss... If that (referring to what the OP posted) seriously is the future of music, sign me out. Good thing there are always artists and bands that don't follow the modern trends, that's all I'll say.

• Brohoof 2

I am not against electronic music but the way it is being used in many cases seems really lazy and much of it sounds the same. The "song" posted in the OP just sounds like random noise to me. If things like the "song" posted in the OP are the future than I prefer the past thank you very much.

• Brohoof 3

When JB is the most famous actual musical artist , you know the future of music is screwed.

Even if MJ resurrected as a skeleton, without lips he could probably sing better than that overrated kid.

Most likely the future of music will be synthesized to sound more "electronic".  Something similar to Isao Tomita's music (specifically, The Planets)